cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 27 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mightymouse wrote:

So I started with Model trains and the big header is Model railroads & trains/ Lionel, Bachmann MTH, and more. Under that is Shop by Category with pictures and captions HO Scale, O Scale, N Scale, S Scale G Scale. When you click on the pictures it brings you back to this same page. Now new categories are freight cars, Locomotives, Passenger Cars, Track, starter packs, Parts & Accessories and Other railroad & trains. If I click the Brand and go to Lionel it only shows Freight Cars.

Question is HOW can I see all that is available in Lionel at the same time now???? 

Hi @mightymouse - I see what you mean! From what I have been told the clickable-category picture deep dives are still in process.

When I follow your steps I see that there is a section below that lets me select by Brand, and that appears to be filtering the way you'd expect the larger pictures to do. (screenshot below). Any chance you can have a look and let me know if that's working the way you'd expect it to? I know that's not ideal, I'm just trying to understand if there's a workaround, and you're definitely the expert when it comes to Trains!

tylerebay_0-1635365700072.png

tyler@ebay 

There is no real workaround anymore since the sub-categories have been eliminated.

I have totally eliminated my daily searches for certain train sub-cats, so that will be 1 less buyer(and seller) for trains here.

If this ever happens in antique toys, there will not be a reason for me to even look at auctions here.

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@apham201085 wrote:

Thanks jasmen@ebay, I understood that. However if you could look into the issue and send me some info about the issue then it would be really really great on my side.

Unfortunately with payments, for security reasons, only that team can discuss any of that info with you. If it was anything else I always like to recommend eBay For Business, but with payments you have to work with them. 

jasmen@ebay 

Did something change recently regarding Facebook.  A few weeks ago Facebook started turning members asking questions about MP back to Customer Service.  They could not answer any MP questions.

If they now can do it again, as the use to be able to, then it was stopped, that would be WONDERFUL news.

Hi @mam98031 - Social Media teammates are able to review and provide basic information when it comes to payments. If there is a more deeper issue at play with the member involved that falls out of that scope they will need to reroute to a payments-expert. Hoping this is a quick fix for the OP!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 77 of 97
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@apham201085 wrote:

Thanks jasmen@ebay, I understood that. However if you could look into the issue and send me some info about the issue then it would be really really great on my side.

Unfortunately with payments, for security reasons, only that team can discuss any of that info with you. If it was anything else I always like to recommend eBay For Business, but with payments you have to work with them. the payments team

jasmen@ebay 

Did something change recently regarding Facebook.  A few weeks ago Facebook started turning members asking questions about MP back to Customer Service.  They could not answer any MP questions.

If they now can do it again, as the use to be able to, then it was stopped, that would be WONDERFUL news.

jasmen@ebay 

Just a little bum for this question in the hopes we can get it answered before the chat closes is about 7 minutes.

Message 78 of 97
latest reply

Realize things change but what a shame. Back in the early days folks didn't have to know what they had for it to sell. People would list an item simply as a vase or a painting with a few pictures posted and the collectors and dealers would recognize the item's value and bid accordingly.  All it needed to sell for a good price was to be in the proper subcategory to reach any potential buyers.

Who are the item specifics really helping? Ask, as I find the vast majority to be rather incidental.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 79 of 97
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Most of the times I get an email saying "oops" I paid, just refund the difference, which I do but I'm not eating the overage in fee's.  I've had a couple customers say putting in cart and requesting an invoice was too much work so there's those people, but others are super happy because they didn't know they could put in cart and request total.

But more and more customers are using the app now, of all the useless programs ebay's turning out ya think combine shipping which we've been asking for over 3 1/2 years now wouldn't be too much

@tsme35 

I'm with you on that one.  If a buyer pays before ever contacting me and purchases a few things separately I have a canned email I designed years ago that works very well for me.  I send it to them and it politely explains there are some selling fees I can't recover due to the separate payments.  But I will absolutely refund them what I can for combined shipping less non recoverable fees.  It serves me well and over the years it honestly has not created any issue for me.  In fact many of these buyers have become repeat customers.  However now they come in and purchase what they want, contact be BEFORE paying and I send them an invoice.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 80 of 97
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@apham201085 wrote:

Unfortunately with payments, for security reasons, only that team can discuss any of that info with you. If it was anything else I always like to recommend eBay For Business, but with payments you have to work with them. 

jasmen@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

Just a little bum for this question in the hopes we can get it answered before the chat closes is about 7 minutes.

Hey @mam98031 the social teams can help with basic sign up and troubleshooting, but anything for verification needs to be done with the payments team directly, Hope that helps! 

jasmen@ebay 

Thank you.

OK so that I'm clear here.  Facebook can answer basic sign up questions ONLY.  

I just want this to be extremely clear as there are a few seasoned sellers giving advice on some threads for others to contact Facebook with their MP issue.  This is mostly for why their money is being held for over 30 days and the such or their Payouts not going through.  None of it is basic sign up questions.

@mam98031 Yes, for security reasons they can only help with basic sign up and troubleshooting questions. Anything related to holds or documents should go to the payments team directly! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 81 of 97
latest reply

Yes I know that I can see that # but Dinnerware buyers also are looking for pattern. Some item specifics for dinnerware brands not have the pattern available and hasn't for years. As A seller I can not but a set from some one and say I can only use dinner plates because that is all Ebay will let me list (off the deep end)  so I but it all. Now Ebay will (not off the deep end) only let me list cups & saucers, plates, bowls, pitches, platters so now I lose all item specifics for the plates when I list a cup & saucer, and again when I list a bowl, etc. do you see the issue with this problem? You also have all the Category's listed as Item Specifics also, so if I chose dinner plate as category it ALSO WANTS item specifics as dinner plate

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 82 of 97
latest reply

velvet@ebay You understand my frustration? Maybe, but I don't think you understand the extent of it. This is an issue that goes far beyond the stores team, it is a long standing issue that ebay promises to rectify every now and then and always---ALWAYS--fails to do so. I've been on ebay since the 1990s and I like ebay, I don't think I complain a whole lot, but I am frankly sick and tired of ebay's inability to properly communicate with its seller base. 

Message 83 of 97
latest reply

Thanks for joining this week’s chat. It’s closed from further replies, but we’ll continue working through any that have not received a response to make sure that everyone’s questions are answered. Thanks!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 84 of 97
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

The Seller Hub Promotion Order Discount is NOT working, and since the Oct. 12 category updates eBay is NOT giving discounts on my orders with 3+ fixed price items which should get 20% off.  A call to Customer Support yesterday revealed this is a USA and UK problem that has been around since April (open ticket number INC000004210645) and a 2nd open ticket in August (number INC000004747514).   Since I consider this similar to bait and switch, which is illegal, I ended my Order Discount promotion.  How will I know when this billing error, which eBay has never announced, has been fixed so I can again use this promotion again?

I'm sorry this has been going on for such a long time @somanypostcards. We'll have this situation reviewed and while I don't have any update to provide at this point regarding a timeframe for a fix, I can make sure the info you've provided is appropriately documented and ticketed with our tech team. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 85 of 97
latest reply

@casprrr wrote:

I don't have anything in the "Butter Dishes" subcategory, my listings are all under "Pottery and Glass". I haven't updated these on all my listings, but my newest butter dish listing is under the Potter & Glass-->Other Pottery and Glass subcategory.
The same thing happens with cake stands, however. When searching "cake stand", either in my store or from the main page, the default "All Categories" changes to "Wedding Cake Stands". My cake stands are listed under "Pottery and Glass--> Cookware, Dinnerware & Serveware--> Cake Stands. They are not wedding cake stands.

Thank you, tyler@ebay , for your comment about my photos, I'm glad you like them!

Thanks for this clarification @casprrr - I'll get this documented and sent over for review and keep you updated as I hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 86 of 97
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

Hello Community,

RE: Listing’s description box editing

Yesterday, I listed using a sell similar (as I always have done) but the text in the description box will not take. It keeps the original text. This happens only in the description box, item specifics, photos, title, etc all revise.

So, I ended the listing and started a new one, same thing, would not accept the revised text in the description box. Had to end it in order to put revisions in the description box. 

So in total, I had to list the item 3x to get it where I wanted it to be.

Thank you

I'm sorry for the trouble @stuff4divas! Hopefully that was a one off situation, but if you find it continues to be a theme, be sure to let us know and we can try to have it looked into further. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 87 of 97
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@dentalsales4u wrote:

Hi, I asked this question last week and never got a response.

When is the ExperiencedSellers Board going to be fixed?

When you click on a post, it doesn't take you where you left off.

You have to scroll and try to find the last post you read.

Very annoying.

Hi @dentalsales4u - I don't believe the 'jump to last unread' component is available for the ExperiencedSellers Board, but I will work with sheila@ebay to look into whether or not we can make that happen.

Thanks!

tyler@ebay 

are you aware it doesn't work on the selling board either?

Hi @dhbookds - yup! I know for the main pages it's a customization that ends up taking too much bandwidth so it was left on the cutting room floor when we rolled out the new look in Q1.

I thought it was available for some groups, but am pretty sure I may be misremembering. Sheila is great with these kinds of things, so I'll check with her and update DentalSales when I know for certain!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 88 of 97
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Wish they would hurry, I have combine shipping on some items which does work, its the larger, heavy or long items that have to be figured out which are also my money makers.

As far as the duplicates, from what I read about auctions is allow if the 1st one has a bid, then a 2nd one can start which is untrue, I see them listed at the same time with no bids.

The fixed priced ones are the same item, size color, price but their putting #1 #2 #3 at the end of listing so as not to get flagged but still against the rules.  Also seeing listing for items with the same general heading but has different items picture, which could be a different color item.

You'd have to sent me a message to get some examples because I can't put them on here, I brought it up a few months ago and was told I'd get a message but never heard from them

Hi @tsme35 - I'll keep my fingers crossed that we see it as a feature in the app someday!

For Duplicate listings:

Identical auction-style listings are allowed if they:

• Have the same start price
  • Have the same reserve price
  • Have the same title and description
  • Don’t use the Buy It Now option.
  • NOTE: You can have more than one auction-style listing for identical items if you follow the guidelines above, but only one duplicate auction-style listing without bids should be visible to buyers at a time. Once the first listing receives a bid or ends, the next listing will appear on the site.

The Fixed Price listings you describe sound like a violation of policy. I'll send you an email for more details. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 89 of 97
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

I used to run about 25% top 20, 25% rest and 50% non search impressions. Since the changes I am now what's below. I have always placed a high value on highly searchable titles and good key words in descriptions, which remain eBay best practices (per eBay).  I also think that this numbers may not even be correct. Is this is a glitch or what to expect with the new system.

glasser_0-1635366412188.png

Hi @glasser! The 0.0% Top 20 search impressions seem to have something going on, as no matter what I change the dates to, or which account I look at, it says 0.0%. I will get that submitted to our tech team for a closer look.

As for the other two amounts, I looked at the same time last year for your account and they were pretty similar. Their was close to a 6% difference up and down for the remaining two impressions. It's really important to compare stats (impressions, sales, etc.) from the same time last year, rather then one month to the next. This is due to a number of reasons, but an example would be seasonal items or an items popularity varying throughout the year. 

I appreciate you bringing the Top 20 impression issue to our attention, and I hope changing the timeframes you're comparing from month to month, to year to year, will help to put your stats in more accurate perspective going forward. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 90 of 97
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: