cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 13 @ 11:00 am PT - Price Guide and Collections

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be addressed after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!**

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the Collectibles and Trading Cards teams. They are here to discuss Trading Cards and a few new features that eBay has recently launched for the card collector. 

Check out Price Guide. Powered by eBay’s incredible breadth of data, Price Guide provides you with the most accurate insights available anywhere for sports and non-sports trading cards and collectible card games. Price Guide shows the most accurate reflection of your trading cards’ current value on our site, based on verified transactions on eBay during the previous 12 months.

The other feature is Collection. It’s integrated with Price Guide data so you have all the tools you need to power your trading all in one place. Engage with your collection in a multitude of ways:

• See the value of your portfolio at a high level or view a specific "asset class" like Pokemon or basketball. You can drill down to see the value of individual cards.
  • Designed for in-app usage, you can list directly from Collection, making the listing process faster and easier.
  • On desktop, upload up to 1,000 items using the .csv upload template, making it easy to upload your entire collection

For more information, see our Trading Hub page. Access the Price Guide via the eBay app, simply search for a card, and click on the pop-up window. 

How does the chat work?

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 11AM-12 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep refreshing and scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 12 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be addressed after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!**

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

@valueaddedresource wrote:

A note about poor UX in the desktop CSV bulk upload process for Collections.

In step 1, you download the template, then open it in Excel or other spreadsheet program to add your cards.

When you are ready to come back to upload the file for step 2 the "upload" button is grayed out and not clickable.

csv2.jpg

I almost gave up thinking it just didn't work, but eventually found that you have to click "cancel" on the download step and only then will it allow you to move on to step 2.

csv7.jpg

It's not intuitive at all - you should just be able to move to step 2 seamlessly from step 1.

Hi @valueaddedresource,

Thank you for catching this - this is helpful feedback!  We will take this back to the design team to improve the flow of the uploading tool.

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

I used eBay's example data from the template just to test this feature out, so I'm not sure if that may effect the accuracy of the results, but the Price Guide function was a little confusing with prices all over the place.

card1.jpg

Under Stats (past 365 days) eBay indicates a sold price range of $1-$9,599.99 and 2028 total sold.

The first thing I noted is the items being used for the price comparison are different grades.

The example data was for a grade 8 card, yet the "recent sales" were all graded 9, 9.5 or 10. Grading can have a huge impact on price when it comes to trading cards, so this data may not be all that accurate or helpful if it's not truly an apples to apples comparison.

It's also interesting to note that the graph shows nowhere near $9,599.99 for this card. The graph represents averages over time. The yearly graph is broken up by weeks and shows the highest average week at $786.95

graph1.jpg

The 6 month view shows the same as the highest average.

graph2.jpg

The 3 month and 1 month views show there were 2 days in September that spiked to ~$2,200.

graph3.jpg

graph4.jpg

And the 1 week view shows a pretty big slump.

graph5.jpg

It's possible there was a $9,599.99 sale in there somewhere that could have gotten averaged down by much lower sales, but there's no obvious way to corroborate that. Of the 10 items shown to me under "recent sales", the highest price was $385.95 and that was for a PSA 10.

recentsale.jpg

Is eBay planning on adding filters for grade and other important parameters to narrow down the price guide so users can make sure it is an apples to apples comparison?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

Hi @donsdetour 

We do not have a dedicated board set up for Price Guide and Collections. For feedback we have integrated feedback options on the pages or a dedicated email address betafeedback@ebay.com. Do you feel that a dedicated board would be helpful?

Thanks,

Julia

Julia,
Collectibles Team
Message 18 of 38
latest reply

I searched "Price Guide" and when the icon comes up (the upward arrow), it responds with.. 
Sorry, we don't support that yet
We're working on it, but for now our price guide is only for trading cards.

-----

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

The new eBay shipping label for trading cards & postcards for 73cents  disappeared from the purchase label page.  Other sellers noted it gone too on discussion board.

-----

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

Hi @bbscollectors ,

Thanks for the question. There isn't a link to Price Guide in Seller Hub, unfortunately is it only available in the app.  There is however a parallel tool that you can use called Terapeak in Seller Hub. It is under the "Research" tab. 

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

julia@collectibles wrote:

Hi @donsdetour 

We do not have a dedicated board set up for Price Guide and Collections. For feedback we have integrated feedback options on the pages or a dedicated email address betafeedback@ebay.com. Do you feel that a dedicated board would be helpful?

Thanks,

Julia

As this grows a dedicated board may be useful.

eBay has always use the users for a from of customer service. Practical for the most part.

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

lucie@tradingcards wrote:

Hi @valueaddedresource ,

We're always improving the Collection functionality and plan on integrating it with the scan to list feature in the future. If you're looking for a way to bulk upload cards into Collection, there is a csv upload option on desktop. 

Thank you lucie@tradingcards - I'm aware of the CSV upload, but unfortunately it does not allow uploading of images in bulk that way, so if a user wanted images for their collection the only way to do it is one at a time through the app.

That would be a lot easier if we could use the existing computer vision technology eBay has already developed and had in use for 6 months now in the listing process. 😊

-----

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  Totally hear you and agree. We're working on it 🙂

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Question about the CSV upload - if you make a mistake on something, can you just edit and reupload to change it or would that create duplicates?

-----

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

bonhol22
Pathfinder

Big ticket sales. I have a one of a kind 2002 NBA All Starter Athuntic game ball Autographed be the entire NBA ALL Stars (except Shaq who didn't play in the game because of injury) BIG PLUS though is Kobe autographed it has his old #8. Also the most amazing thing is, I BOUGHT IT AT AN NBA OFFICAL AUCTION...so the COA is ACTUALLY A COA from the NBA with NBA Official Hologram and OFICIALLY certified BY the NBA Commissioner Stu Jackson AND both team head coach. It should be worth TONS of money, people tell me I should take it to a live auction but I'm not sure how to find a trustworthy one who won't try to screw me over. Do you now any private buyers or acution houses that would be interested. Also in your personal opinion what do you think the value of this unique item would be. Tanks so much for your time and I'm lookin forward  hearing back from you.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Hi @valueaddedresource,

Thanks for the detailed post.

We are currently working on adding more filter options to allow further tuning for accuracy of the price guide as a highly prioritized feature.

Thanks,

Julia 

Julia,
Collectibles Team
Message 27 of 38
latest reply

@pinbreaker wrote:

I searched "Price Guide" and when the icon comes up (the upward arrow), it responds with.. 
Sorry, we don't support that yet
We're working on it, but for now our price guide is only for trading cards.

Hi @pinbreaker,

Once you have clicked on the icon, you are actually in the experience already so you just need to update your keyword query to the trading card you want to check pricing for.  For example, "michael jordan fleer 1986" or "charizard base set shadowless".

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

Hi @valueaddedresource ,

If you re-upload everything, then you will have duplicates. If you make a mistake, I'd recommend you delete the collection and then re-upload. If you know where the mistake is, you can also edit that card directly in Collection beta.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

Not sure if this is an app issue or an issue with the experience itself, but on the android app sometimes it doesn't recognize that I have anything in my collection.

I've had to refresh the screen 3-4 times on multiple occasions to get it to show the existing cards.

-----

Message 30 of 38
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: