cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Oct 18th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join the Community team here at 1 pm PT on Oct 18th for our weekly chat. 

There isn't a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your eBay buying & selling questions. 

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

Thank you alan@ebay Been busy selling. grin

Awesome! That's what I like to hear. Have you seen our Holiday Playbook that went live recently? You may find some useful tips to get the most out of the Holiday season this year: http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seasonal-playbook/index.html

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 31 of 107
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonathankirkland wrote:

The number of buyers who are not honoring their auctions won or buy-it-now purchases seems to be increasing at an extremely alarming rate. What is ebay doing to put a stop to this?

The unpaid item strikes are a good way, but even they waste A LOT of time for sellers. Expecting a new seller to wait 6 days to relist an item because some deadbeat decided not to pay is horrible, not to mention when a lot of them already waited 7 days for their item to sell in most instances, this is a delay of TWO weeks AND in some cases a complete waste of 30 cents for the listing!

Please do more to penalize buyers who do not honor their obligations!

Hi @jonathankirkland, we always recommend first and foremost that a seller reach out to their buyer to see what may be delaying payment. For auctions we have the Unpaid Item process for our sellers to report this to us and receive a fee credit. We do keep a close eye on the number of strikes recorded on a buyer's account and while I can't share specific ratios, we do take action when there is a pattern of poor behavior for a buyer. This can range from an educational warning at the start or a loss of eBay priveleges when signs of abuse are identified. You mentioned the time investment this can take, and I can recommend you check out our Unpaid Item Assistant to help take the work out of your hands for times when payment is not received in a timely manner. 

As for Buy It Now purchases, we've made changes within the last year to require Immediate Payment for most items under $1,000. You can see more details on the criteria here. This change has helped us reduce the number of unpaid items and streamlines the exprience for both buyers and sellers.

Message 32 of 107
latest reply

252159940950 is my listing. I have sold 724 and that does not appear. How can I fix this?

alan@ebay wrote:

@montelbargain wrote:

How do include "see feedback" for this listing at the top of the listing.

321378250481  is an example.

Hi @montelbargain

When a seller has a multi-quantity listing and has received feedback on at least 10 of those transactions, a “See Feedback” link will appear on the view item page.

Thanks!

Message 33 of 107
latest reply

Is there really any need to have a Basic Listing tool and an Advanced Listing tool?

I understand you want new sellers to be able to easily list things without overwhelming them, however the way the Basic Listing tool is setup right now is not very user friendly at all.

For example: for a fixed price listing, the Basic Tool defaults to having a "Best Offer" on it, when many users probably do not realize this or event want it. Not only that, but I don't think you can even select immediate payment required with the basic listing tool.

Also, I really believe that most people nowadays are smart enough to figure out the Advanced Listing tool and would like to have as many options as possible.

Message 34 of 107
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Will ebay consider implementing a feature that will not allow a shipping label to be printed, or at the very least provide a pop-up warning when printing a shipping label, for a payment that has not yet cleared?

There are way too many people being cheated and shipping items out where they payment has not yet cleared, and there are numerous ways scammers are taking advantage of new sellers (tricking them into providing their Paypal email, e-check scam to name a few).

Hi @jonathankirkland, the safety of our sellers is a top priority for us! Since we aren't always able to recognize payment, a warning message may at times cause undue harm. When we are able to recognize that a payment is pending, we do display this information. While there has been an issue recently with the Mobile App incorrectly showing these payments as completed, we are here to protect any seller who faces a loss due to an incomplete payment after shipment. 

There may be times where a seller would like to get ahead by printing a label and preparing the package for shipment even when the payment is pending. I can pass along this suggestion, but I wanted to provide some food for thought as to why this may not be implemented.

eBay not always knowing that a payment has been made/cleared is understandable.

But there's another element that comes into play... buyers have the option of selecting an alternate ship-to address when they make their payments.  Many sellers will eagerly print a label to get ahead of the game, only to find out they spent postage for an incorrect shipping destination.  The current wait period for a carrier refund is between 14-21 days Smiley Sad

Graciously grin when you growl...lion.gif

Message 35 of 107
latest reply

@mpjsales wrote:

Will eBay ever enforce sellers to use the proper "Item Condition" for their listings?  The one thing that bothers me is people listing items as "Used" but in their description they state the item is sold "as-is" or "only tested for power-on" without guaranteeing full functionality. These types of disclaimers/statements are misleading to buyers. If a seller cannot guarantee their product meets the "Item Conditions" set by eBay they should not be able to list them as "Used" or should be forced to list them as "Parts".

This hurts the buyer and seller market in different ways.

@mpjsales It's not in the sellers best interest to overstate the item condition. Since we do not have possession of the item, item condition is something we have to rely on sellers to accurately disclose.  The vast majority of sellers are accurate with their item condition and those that aren't will be impacted by returns, item not as described claims. This impacts their Search placement. 

I agree with you that sellers should accurately disclose item condition. 

Send me an example and I will send it to the structured data team to determine if they can do something to parse the item description and item condition to look for inconsistencies. 

Thank for selling on eBay

Brian

Join us at eBay Open this September! eBay.com/ebayopen
Message 36 of 107
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

The number of buyers who are not honoring their auctions won or buy-it-now purchases seems to be increasing at an extremely alarming rate. What is ebay doing to put a stop to this?

The unpaid item strikes are a good way, but even they waste A LOT of time for sellers. Expecting a new seller to wait 6 days to relist an item because some deadbeat decided not to pay is horrible, not to mention when a lot of them already waited 7 days for their item to sell in most instances, this is a delay of TWO weeks AND in some cases a complete waste of 30 cents for the listing!

Please do more to penalize buyers who do not honor their obligations!

AND show UPI strikes and other defects on the buyer's page.
I can't think of any good reason why sellers are denied access to that information.

Message 37 of 107
latest reply

My business is registered in my state and as such, I collect state sales tax for sales to residents of my state.

This week I had an in state buyer purchase and item.  She paid and was charged sales tax.  She then proceeded to purchase another item from the exact same multi variation listing, she paid and was not charged sales tax. 

This was a surprised to me.  Of course my first thought was that I did not have it set up correctly, but quickly dismissed that because the purchase was from the exact same item number/listing.  Both items had the same buyer, same shipping address and both should have been charged sales tax.

When I called Customer Support, the representative  checked to make sure that things were set up correctly (they were) and said she could not explain why the second purchase was not charged sales tax. 

She suggested that it was just a "blip"  or some such word.. She did not say glitch. She also said it was not worth the time to report it because the techs would not be able to do anything about a one time occurance?

To me this is more than a blip and with the upcoming holiday sales season, I do not want to worry about my buyers not being charged for sales tax. 

Is it true that these types of things are not worthy of reporting?  She did give me a credit for the amount not collected but I do think that all issues like this should be reported.  Granted it does not affect ebay, but the money I collect literally is paid to the state I live in and comes out of my pocket if not collected.

What do you think?  Should it be reported to tech? I suppose all glitches have to have a "first" time.

Thanks

Message 38 of 107
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

AND show UPI strikes and other defects on the buyer's page.
I can't think of any good reason why sellers are denied access to that information.

That's been sugegsted before.  But I'd have to add that seller defects should also be shown; cancelled, not shipped, etc.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 39 of 107
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

What can be done about the abuse of multi-variation listings?  They may have 10 or 20 items at $40.00 or more and one barely related item at $1.00 or so.  It's clearly about gaming search placement when people search by 'lowest first'.

It's often found in clothing and electronics.

I would like to also include craft items, beads, charms etc, as well as fabrics! 

There are too many categories to count, ebay sellers lost out on at least $200

this past weekend due to this listing practice. 

Message 40 of 107
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goodluckselling wrote:

eBay messaging to sellers recently change as it relates to outcomes to cases that were settled.  In the past the verbage use to say something like

We ruled in the seller favor.  Your selling standards will not be affected and any feedback left from this buyer will be removed.

Now the verbage says this

We ruled in the sellers favor, and this outcome will not have any affect on your seller standards.

Notice the missing info about any feedback left will be removed in the new messaging from eBay.

Here is my questions and it is fairly easy.

Moving forward: When cases are resolved and settled in sellers favor, does eBay still remove feedback left from the buyer?    Thanks

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling, happy to confirm you that feedback is still removed when an eMBG case is closed as Seller Wins or if an appeal is granted for a Seller.

Message 41 of 107
latest reply

My first time in this chat. So PLEASE PLEASE accept my apology for my

@montelbargain wrote:

252159940950 is my listing. I have sold 724 and that does not appear. How can I fix this?

alan@ebay wrote:

@montelbargain wrote:

How do include "see feedback" for this listing at the top of the listing.

321378250481  is an example.

Hi @montelbargain

When a seller has a multi-quantity listing and has received feedback on at least 10 of those transactions, a “See Feedback” link will appear on the view item page.

Thanks!

ignorance regarding the Quote feature.

Thank you for your reply. I have another listing with the same concern and will anxiously wait your private message. I feel my excellent feedback will be a benefit to sell a few more of these!!

Thank you Alan!!

Message 42 of 107
latest reply

brian_burke@ebay wrote:

@mpjsales wrote:

Will eBay ever enforce sellers to use the proper "Item Condition" for their listings?  The one thing that bothers me is people listing items as "Used" but in their description they state the item is sold "as-is" or "only tested for power-on" without guaranteeing full functionality. These types of disclaimers/statements are misleading to buyers. If a seller cannot guarantee their product meets the "Item Conditions" set by eBay they should not be able to list them as "Used" or should be forced to list them as "Parts".

This hurts the buyer and seller market in different ways.

@mpjsales It's not in the sellers best interest to overstate the item condition. Since we do not have possession of the item, item condition is something we have to rely on sellers to accurately disclose.  The vast majority of sellers are accurate with their item condition and those that aren't will be impacted by returns, item not as described claims. This impacts their Search placement. 

I agree with you that sellers should accurately disclose item condition. 

Send me an example and I will send it to the structured data team to determine if they can do something to parse the item description and item condition to look for inconsistencies. 

Thank for selling on eBay

Brian

A big example is cell pones wiht CRACKED SCREENS.

I cannot tell you how many people simply list their phone as "used" when it MUST be listed as "as is, for parts repair" due to the cracked screen.

People assume that since the phone actually functions that listing it as used is acceptable, but in my opinion this is extremely dishonest and deceptive.

Not sure what ebay can do about it, but you asked for an example... I could provide many specific links to these if you need.

Message 43 of 107
latest reply

alan@ebay

A seller provided a link to an article in Racked that was written on October 16th entitled Nobody Thinks About Ebay. There was an interesting comment near the end of the article that stated.

Competing with Amazon on the “new” end of the retail spectrum is futile, but they could credibly fight off threats from startups like The Real Real and Poshmark. Many still believe eBay is the best option for vintage treasures, so why not own it? For now, though, the company has its sights set on pushing in the other direction, emphasizing the supposed shiny newness of what their sellers offer.

I was wondering what you thought of that. One of the reasons I sell on eBay is because my items are pre-owned. It is the site that gets me the most visibility for what I'm selling. There are others, but eBay does this better, I think, thank anybody else.  I personally don't like Amazon for much of anything except books. I think eBay does have it's own schtick. Why not move further in that direction? (direction isn't quite what I meant but I can't think of the word...lol. Maybe promoting that)

Message 44 of 107
latest reply

Good afternoon everyone!

Got question :

I was wondering when  are we going to see the hurricane  credits that were  announced.

I was told it was coming  middle of the month

TIA

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 45 of 107
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: