cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, November 17 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

jasmen@ebay wrote:

We're looking forward to being here for you guys @mam98031! Is it appropriate for me to ask for you to share your favorite Thanksgiving recipe? 😇

I'm a professionally trained chef and I'm hosting this year so everyone is expecting something new and exciting 🤣

Last year- based on the suggestion of @dhbookdstyler@ebay put up an off-topic "holiday post" on the Selling board from Thanksgiving to New Year where recipes, book recommendations, etc were shared.

If that's done this year I don't think it needs to be pinned because people posted a lot last year which kept it naturally bumped up on the first page.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I understand why eBay doesn't issue fee credits on partial refunds for things like shipping overages. A lot of sellers refund $1 here and there so processing those credits would cost more than they're worth and be kind of chaotic with accounting.

But-

When it comes to faulty returns where a seller is authorized to deduct up to 50% because of either a free returns policy or a TRS status- I think the system should automatically credit a prorated FVF based on the amount refunded.

I don't know where to submit that kind of policy request other than here?

You are assuming that refunds for overpayment of shipping are mostly around $1.00, when that is not likely true.  I know I do not issue refunds for that low of a figure.  And I rarely have one that would even be that low.  I have refunded on a regular bases between $5 and $25, usually in the upper range.

So if Ebay implemented something like refunds of $10 or more would have FVF refunds.  That seems simple enough and likely to help lots of sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 32 of 47
latest reply

Last week and maybe before I posted a Managed Payments issue which I believe is a design error. While eBay help pages state that some Managed Payments amounts may be reported as foreign currency amounts, did anyone consider the consequences? To be clear, this is a subtle error and will occur only if US sellers happen to sell items on a foreign eBay site like eBay.de.  I have contacted the vendor that translates listings, but their response is helplessness.

The Seller Hub Transactions page has six columns: "Date", "Description", "Amount", "Fees", "Net", and "Details".

The "Details" column provides a link to fee details related to the transaction.  The "Date" and "Description" columns post the transaction date and a description of the sold item. The "Amount" column should be the sales price. The "Fees" column totals fees for the transaction and the "Net" amount is the payment for the transaction. Unfortunately, the Managed Payments transaction detail page does not total the "Net" and "Fees" amounts for transactions bundled into the payment. For volume sellers, each daily payment could have hundreds of transactions.

Is this bad enough? Not when some of the "Amount" and "Fee" values are in foreign currencies. Can eBay correct the amount for 1099-K reporting? If so,, why not share the information with sellers?

Also, as reported last week, foreign currency amounts find their way into Managed Payments reports, Combined transaction amounts are marked, but individual transaction amounts in multiple-item transactions are not marked.

Please see sanitized excerpt from the transactions report:

Transactions currency mixTransactions currency mix

-----

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

We're looking forward to being here for you guys @mam98031! Is it appropriate for me to ask for you to share your favorite Thanksgiving recipe? 😇

I'm a professionally trained chef and I'm hosting this year so everyone is expecting something new and exciting 🤣

Last year- based on the suggestion of @dhbookdstyler@ebay put up an off-topic "holiday post" on the Selling board from Thanksgiving to New Year where recipes, book recommendations, etc were shared.

If that's done this year I don't think it needs to be pinned because people posted a lot last year which kept it naturally bumped up on the first page.

Thanks for the feedback @coffeebean832 especially about not being pinned, I know there we're some mixed feelings last time. I'll bring it up for sure! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

You did reply didn't mean to imply you didn't 🙂 just wondering if there was anything new. So coming weeks it is....

Oh good! I was feeling bad if I'd missed a reply to you @glasser. I haven't heard more so I reached back out to the team and I'll see what they come back with. Thanks for checking back in on this! 

-----

Edit: A follow-up response can be found here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 35 of 47
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

OMG you guys should have the day off.  I know Tyler cooks a lot for the holidays and I'm sure you ladies have your own routines.  While I'm sad you guys have to work, I look forward to the chat.

That sounds like FUN.  We do usually share recipes every year somewhere on the community and it is always fun.  I personally wouldn't be able to share much more than I have in the past as I cook the same thing every Thanksgiving as that is how my family likes it.  Occasionally we will add a non traditional pie while still having pumpkin available.

I trained my husband many years ago about pie baking.  He is now quite experience and GREAT at it.  It take a lot off me as I do the entire meal.  So it is a shared experience that works very well for our family.

This year because of my back issues it will be more challenging, so I'll be doing things ahead of time so there isn't as much to do on Thanksgiving.

-----

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I understand why eBay doesn't issue fee credits on partial refunds for things like shipping overages. A lot of sellers refund $1 here and there so processing those credits would cost more than they're worth and be kind of chaotic with accounting.

But-

When it comes to faulty returns where a seller is authorized to deduct up to 50% because of either a free returns policy or a TRS status- I think the system should automatically credit a prorated FVF based on the amount refunded.

I don't know where to submit that kind of policy request other than here?

Hi @coffeebean832 - I'll get this suggestion made! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 37 of 47
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

OMG you guys should have the day off.  I know Tyler cooks a lot for the holidays and I'm sure you ladies have your own routines.  While I'm sad you guys have to work, I look forward to the chat.

That sounds like FUN.  We do usually share recipes every year somewhere on the community and it is always fun.  I personally wouldn't be able to share much more than I have in the past as I cook the same thing every Thanksgiving as that is how my family likes it.  Occasionally we will add a non traditional pie while still having pumpkin available.

I trained my husband many years ago about pie baking.  He is now quite experience and GREAT at it.  It take a lot off me as I do the entire meal.  So it is a shared experience that works very well for our family.

This year because of my back issues it will be more challenging, so I'll be doing things ahead of time so there isn't as much to do on Thanksgiving.

@mam98031 Pie is the best, especially when  you make your dough from scratch! When I was teaching cooking classes a fun trick I would do is make it in a food processor. If you cube and freeze your butter, and add some ice instead of all water it turns out super flakey!

You just pulse everything till it looks like oatmeal, roll it in a ball, chill, then use as needed 👌 It's super easy and it comes out so good! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

Repeat from weeks ago:

According to the Scott Specialized Catalog of US Stamps and Covers, a stamp listed for sale was described as "red orange".  An eBay recommendation was to change the color Item Specific from "red orange" to "orange" for better site visibility. Does eBay define the "Color" item specific filter in the Stamps category with a fixed number of colors to search an unbounded list of colors?

Does eBay have the capability of providing filters for unbounded lists? Yes, the buyer would have to type in values, but this might work better than searching for a red orange stamp with the search term "orange". How would a catalog number item specific filter work if the list is pre-defined?

-----

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

We were discussing last week about the availability to print Media Mail shipping labels in Ebay for some categories.  You updated me and said that the categories I have issues with will not be fixed until February of Next year.  Which as you know puts this problem for me to be about ONE year old by then.

You have been wonderful in trying to help me with this issues but the Shipping department has ignored all my requests to add the following categories month after month after month.

Crafts-Beads&Jewelry Making-Instruction Books & Media

Crafts-Sewing-Quilting-Quilt Patterns

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Crocheting&Knitting-Patterns-Contemporary

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Embroidery&Cross Stitch-Hand Embr Patterns & Magazines-Other Patterns & Magazines

Crafts
-Needlecrafts&Yarn-Hand Embr Patterns&Magazines-Embroidery & Cross Stitch-Cross Stitch Patterns

Crafts-Scrapbooking&Paper Crafts-Instruction Books & Media

I'm aware that you know how much this upsets me that this is taking so long.  Especially since they have made updates to the MM problem a couple of times since I've started this conversation with you and my concerns were never address, however it had been submitted to them.

In all these months they only fixed ONE category that I submitted and that is the top one listed above.  And lucky me it is my least used category for my books.

I'm mostly just venting again here because this simply created more work for me every day that just doesn't and shouldn't be there.  And it also costs Ebay money because I can't use their label system.

I would like this issue kicked upstairs so to speak.  I'd like for someone with the actual power to do something about this to look at it and the time it has taken the shipping team to respond to this problem.

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

@mam98031 Pie is the best, especially when  you make your dough from scratch! When I was teaching cooking classes a fun trick I would do is make it in a food processor. If you cube and freeze your butter, and add some ice instead of all water it turns out super flakey!

You just pulse everything till it looks like oatmeal, roll it in a ball, chill, then use as needed 👌 It's super easy and it comes out so good! 

OH NICE trick and very useful.  I will absolutely share that with my husband.  He is a proud owner of a very nice Kitchen Aid with all kinds of attachments.  LOL

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have the Starter Store, not the Basic Store. I can't justify spending $27.95 monthly for a store, especially when I'm not going to get anywhere near 1000 listings (even when the FVF drops).  Those 30 cent listing fees add up and don't make a lot of sense to pay. I just wish Ebay had something between Starter and Basic - it seems like that would be helpful for a lot of sellers. Anyways, I appreciate your response!

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

Thanks for joining this week’s chat. It’s closed from further replies, but we’ll continue working through any that have not received a response to make sure that everyone’s questions are answered. Thanks!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Last week and maybe before I posted a Managed Payments issue which I believe is a design error. While eBay help pages state that some Managed Payments amounts may be reported as foreign currency amounts, did anyone consider the consequences? To be clear, this is a subtle error and will occur only if US sellers happen to sell items on a foreign eBay site like eBay.de.  I have contacted the vendor that translates listings, but their response is helplessness.

The Seller Hub Transactions page has six columns: "Date", "Description", "Amount", "Fees", "Net", and "Details".

The "Details" column provides a link to fee details related to the transaction.  The "Date" and "Description" columns post the transaction date and a description of the sold item. The "Amount" column should be the sales price. The "Fees" column totals fees for the transaction and the "Net" amount is the payment for the transaction. Unfortunately, the Managed Payments transaction detail page does not total the "Net" and "Fees" amounts for transactions bundled into the payment. For volume sellers, each daily payment could have hundreds of transactions.

Is this bad enough? Not when some of the "Amount" and "Fee" values are in foreign currencies. Can eBay correct the amount for 1099-K reporting? If so,, why not share the information with sellers?

Also, as reported last week, foreign currency amounts find their way into Managed Payments reports, Combined transaction amounts are marked, but individual transaction amounts in multiple-item transactions are not marked.

Please see sanitized excerpt from the transactions report:

Transactions currency mixTransactions currency mix

Hey @clarkphilatelics! For any payments received from sales on items listed directly on other international sites, the buyer’s payment will be converted and paid out in your payout currency or your selected currency upon registration. The conversion rate will be displayed in the order details - and is the same conversion rate that will be used should a full or partial refund be issued at a later date.

As for your 1099 concern with international sales, I appreciate the feedback and will pass it on to the payments team. I'm not sure as to whether or not I'll hear back, but please know that this will have been bubbled up. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 44 of 47
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Repeat from weeks ago:

According to the Scott Specialized Catalog of US Stamps and Covers, a stamp listed for sale was described as "red orange".  An eBay recommendation was to change the color Item Specific from "red orange" to "orange" for better site visibility. Does eBay define the "Color" item specific filter in the Stamps category with a fixed number of colors to search an unbounded list of colors?

Does eBay have the capability of providing filters for unbounded lists? Yes, the buyer would have to type in values, but this might work better than searching for a red orange stamp with the search term "orange". How would a catalog number item specific filter work if the list is pre-defined?

Hi @clarkphilatelics - I don't have input on this for you, but I will get it to the category team to review. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 47
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: