cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 31 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Community Chat, March 31 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay 

Is the payment team actually responding to tags on the threads anymore.  I know that I have personally tagged them several times over the last few weeks, but NONE of them has had a response by the team.  Did their tag change.  Or did the procedure change since I have been away for a bit.

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 52
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

When can sellers expect to see totals for gross sales and fees in the detail for each payout. If more than one or two items are bundled into a payout, the Payout Detail window does total order amounts or fees. Why does the summary page that links to the detail page only contain the net amount and why does it have a different name than payout amounts in the Detail Window?  How do high volume sellers track cash flow in Managed Payments?

@clarkphilatelics - Great questions! I am not managed payments trained, but information on reconciling fees and sales for Managed Payments can be found here. If you have further questions about finding specific amounts or reports, I would recommend contacting payments directly by using the contact options at the bottom of that help page.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

@epowerbargains wrote:

Thank you for your response. I want to reduce to a basic store effective 4/1/21. Do I need to go into my store subscription and do the reduction myself or are you saying that eBay will automatically reduce my store on 4.1.21. Will there be a fee credit for April due to the reduction and please confirm from April 2021 forward the store fee's will automatically be reduced - in my case to Basic with 1,000 listings with no penalty. Thank you. 

Hi @epowerbargains - you can manage your store level via the Subscription section of your Account settings (link here). Choose the 'change subscription' button and select your preferred store level and then complete the flow. 

All store changes are future dated to the beginning of the next month. This means if you want your Basic store subscription to take effect as of tomorrow you must make this change today

I can confirm that downgrading your store subscription in this manner (today) will automatically credit any termination fee that would otherwise be charged. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 33 of 52
latest reply

Tyler,

How receptive do you think the item specifics team will be to receiving an excel spreadsheet with all the item specific problems I have encountered?  

Some are subcategory wide  ie  a postcard is labeled "welcome to California" but there is no item specific for 'statewide'.   Under any state.

Right now, for the state of California and only California  "brand' is a recommended item specific.  To collectors, "brand" means maker.   Not all cards identify the maker.   BUT the suggestions for this California only specific is actually a region or city.  not the maker.

It gets worse when I get into vintage ads - print ads from magazines.  Here I encounter the item specific "color" on a regular basis.  I would read that as Black and White or Color (as in the printing).  Instead, my choices are red, blue, yellow.

These are the sort of issues that exist with all sorts of collectible items....it seems as if they people creating these specifics have no idea what is and is not seached for or should be there.

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

Item Specifics filter values defined by eBay are inconsistent with the Scott catalog, used by most stamp collectors in the United States.  In the Grade item specific, eBay substituted "/" for "-" changing “F-VF” to “F/VF”. for "fine to very fine". While a smaller competitor can match either format, eBay search does not appear to be able to do any more than simple string matching. Ideally, Item Specifics would not contain abbreviations and search would be able to parse abbreviations to match an Item Specific without abbreviations within the context of each category.

The word "mint” is misused by eBay. The only usage for "mint" would be in reference to unused stamps with full original gum, as received from a post office. A few dealers and eBay equate "mint" to "unused" which could mean that the stamp was hinged or has no gum.

Item specifics with open-ended values are not handled well by eBay filters. Stamps from each country exist in hundreds of denominations and multiple currencies. The eBay filter only shows a few values. Unless a potential buyer can enter any value into an open-ended filter (like a column filter in Excel), buyers will find some other way to search, like catalog number. Unfortunately, matching catalog numbers to numbers in titles produce too many false positives and frustrate potential buyers. Are eBay item specifics effective? I believe that the jury is still out, especially in categories like stamps where dealers and buyers seem to mostly ignore them.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

I am still seeing many posts on the Community and other internet groups, and I am sure everyone reading this has seen them, about buyers not being able to complete purchases. Cards denied, unusal errors about seller not able to receive payments at this time etc.
Is anyone looking into that?

Hi @crazystuff4sale - we definitely work to make sure that a buyer's ability to complete a transaction with you, and we work to correct disruptions there as quickly as possible. While there aren't any widespread outages impacting checkout at this point in time, anyone running into issues should be encouraged to contact CS to report their experience for help. Thanks!

Just because they aren't widespread doesn't mean they are a problem.  I lost out in hundreds of dollars in sales last year because of this ongoing bug.  This is the problem with how eBay isn't capable of being proactive and instead waiting for 💩 to hit the fan.

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

That was the first place we tried...

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

I'm curious as to why eBay can't give me an actual line item invoice on the mystery fees/credits being applied to my account, but they are more than happy to turn a blind eye to a large seller that is blatantly trying to avoid fees by miscategorizing 79 thousand items. 

I don't have a court case number yet, because I am sharing in eBay's laziness.  I should probably work on getting one though.

@gwzcomps I heard back on this.

There is no follow up planned for the email that was sent in February. If there was a charge to the account then it will appear on the monthly invoice. If only credits were given then it will not be reflected on the invoice. Additionally, if both credits and charges occurred on an account and the it resulted in $0 or less (meaning it is a net result of credits) then it will not appear on the invoice. 

Since nothing appeared on your invoice, it sounds like you were not charged anything but instead issued credits. We are operating within our user agreement and charging valid charges as a result of a site issue that has since been resolved. Since your account wasn’t charged, you were notified of the corrections because we were required to notify the account owner regardless of the amount of the difference that was processed, even if it was only credits. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 38 of 52
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

We need the ability to see our total in MP on the Payment Summary screen.  The last update took that ability away and I'm not sure why or how Ebay thought that was a good enhancement in the first place, but we need it back.  It has been weeks now since it was taken away.  Long enough a logical person would think to be able to bring it back, so what is the hold up?  Does Ebay believe this is information we don't need?  If so why?

Hi @mam98031  - I wish I had insight into the reason behind this change. I'll get your feedback shared and if I hear back I will update you. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 39 of 52
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

I'm curious as to why eBay can't give me an actual line item invoice on the mystery fees/credits being applied to my account, but they are more than happy to turn a blind eye to a large seller that is blatantly trying to avoid fees by miscategorizing 79 thousand items. 

I don't have a court case number yet, because I am sharing in eBay's laziness.  I should probably work on getting one though.

@gwzcomps I heard back on this.

There is no follow up planned for the email that was sent in February. If there was a charge to the account then it will appear on the monthly invoice. If only credits were given then it will not be reflected on the invoice. Additionally, if both credits and charges occurred on an account and the it resulted in $0 or less (meaning it is a net result of credits) then it will not appear on the invoice. 

Since nothing appeared on your invoice, it sounds like you were not charged anything but instead issued credits. We are operating within our user agreement and charging valid charges as a result of a site issue that has since been resolved. Since your account wasn’t charged, you were notified of the corrections because we were required to notify the account owner regardless of the amount of the difference that was processed, even if it was only credits. 

Just a question, I'm not trying to step in on the conversation.  But wouldn't the details of the invoice show the charge and then the credit?  And if they don't, that is a mistake on Ebay's part that would make no sense.  It is normal accounting to have both transactions show in the details and certainly they weren't likely to happen on the same day either.  Just sayin!?!?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 40 of 52
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

About item specifics...Some categories have required item specifics that are reduntant , some are not at all applicable to the category (they have been included in error.)
Some are just odd...what is "manufacturer color?" and how does that differ from "color?"
Is there some way to have these errors corrected? Some of the item specifics are so odd that buyers who actually read them must be shaking their head and thinking the seller or Ebay is nuts.

Hi @crazystuff4sale - there's actually an item specifics team that exists to help address these kinds of reports. They're called the Structured Data team and you can reach them via email at sdsupport@ebay.com. They help get extraneous specifics removed, corrected or changed. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 52
latest reply

I am locked out of selling right now because it says ive sold and listed 1.7 million items and i only have 185 soooo AND it had been very hard to get someone on the phone whats goin on?

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's closed but we will continue to work through and make sure that questions are addressed. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 43 of 52
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

If I look under "Groups" and then "eBay Categories", why is there no sports cards? It is an actual group I can get to another more convoluted way.

@carlqsportscards it looks like there is a limit to the number of items Khoros will show in a category drop down menu, so some categories aren't appearing. We'll have to bring this up with Khoros to see what options we have to get all of them to appear. In the meantime, you can bookmark the sports card group in your browser if easier access: Sports Cards, Memorabilia & Fan Shop - The eBay Community

Brian,
Community Team
Message 44 of 52
latest reply

@shellhut wrote:

Why did they take away the Classic Selling My eBay only to have the newish one (Not seller Hub) with so many errors in, sorting, batch editing is gone, etc.  Don't tell me it was "old Code"  That is not an excuse it can be redone in whatever code eBay is using.   Why wasn't it all tested before they took Classic My eBay away?  Many sellers are upset that it is gone.  We used it for more than 18 years.  It was fully functional for what we needed to do.  Sellers Hub doesn't fit for small sellers.

@shellhut - This was a decision made when reviewing market research and feedback we received from members. We appreciate the feedback and will make sure it is provided to the correct team. 

I'd like to know more about the issues you're seeing with the page. Can you please start a new thread here and tag me with screenshots, so I can better assist with what you're seeing? 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 45 of 52
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: