cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, June 5 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on June 5 for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic for the week, so feel free to share any general buying and selling questions you have. 

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close it down for additional questions and continue to work on responding to any remaining queries.

If you are new to the chat, welcome! Simply reply to this post with your question after 1 pm and we'll be happy to look into it slight smile

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Hello all, 

It's been two weeks since we last checked in (here) on the problems with the new Shipping Label Confirmation email report missing all its data, and four weeks since the first sightings of the problem, and brian@ebay graciously went off yesterday to check on progress. Do we have any news yet? Was the comparison screenshot of New vs. Old (below) clear enough or helpful enough to illustrate the problem to them?

New (left) vs. Old (right) Shipping Confirmation recordsNew (left) vs. Old (right) Shipping Confirmation records

Will be happy to go into further detail in email if needed. It's critical that this information be restored, as it is the only summary that's automatically sent to the seller's outside email account that can serve as a permanent record. PayPal records of the transaction do not carry as much detail, and anything left on the eBay site ages off after a short period, leaving no permanent record behind. Thanks.

Message 31 of 92
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Today I got auto opted into a newer version of the seller hub? It is missing a least one feature I need to do my required business tasks. At the very least I need the ability to sort all orders (90 days look back) by zip code. There is no section for zip code in this newer version.

I need this feature to sort and separate in state (Florida) order for calculating local sales tax. Can you tell me how to get this feature or if you know of a different way to assemble this info please share it with me.

Business sellers need more options than this newer seller hub is offering.

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling - there isn't an option to add that info in the Seller Hub columns, but you can download a report that will have that info! Screenshot below. 

The report that downloads will have all applicable data for you to sort by (ZIP included!). Thanks!

This is on Seller Hub>OrdersThis is on Seller Hub>Orders

Tyler,
eBay
Message 32 of 92
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

When a buyer makes an offer, and I either counter or decline it, I can send a message to the buyer. But if I accept the offer, I can't.

I would like to ask for the capability to send a message even if I accept an offer

Hi @vrykalak - will you expound on that? Are you saying that you are unable to send a buyer a message once the sale is considered confirmed?

From a Best Offer perspective, if you accept an offer there shouldn't really be any other need to message the buyer within the Offer flow, can you give me an example of what you'd need that additional feature for?

When I respond to an offer:
- if I counter or decline, eBay gives me a chance to write a message to explain
- if I accept, the sale is done, with no opportunity to talk to the buyer
So, when I want to say something to the buyer (usually about shipping discounts, or related items I have for sale), I have to claim I am making a counter offer, tell the buyer "I am accepting your offer, and..."
I would like to be able to communicate with the buyer even if I click on Accept.

Just to tag on, I also would like to be able to include a note with my acceptance if appropriate ie "Thank you for your business, please check my store for additional items before completing payment and receive a combined shipping discount".

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 33 of 92
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

Hey tyler@ebay 

This really needs to be addressed and remedied expeditiously.  It's been going on far too long.

When a seller chooses First Class Parcel Service but for Package Type chooses Large Envelope, the system is bumping the shipment out of First Class Parcel Service and instead charges the buyers for First Class Mail.  The seller is then shorted on shipping monies for the service they need and select.

They are two completely different services.

If the seller wants to offer First Class Mail - Envelopes or Large Envelope/Flats (non-trackable and cannot be purchased on eBay), that's fine, but it needs to be its own, seperate and distinct choice.

Too many times we see sellers coming to the boards who select First Class Parcel Service and Large Envelope receive monies for First Class Mail because of this failure with eBay's programming.  If they choose FC Parcel, it should charge FC Parcel rates.

This has cost many sellers quite a bit of monies through no real fault of their own.  They choose First Class Parcel Service.  Package type should NOT change that.  There shouldn't even be Letter and Large Envelope package options for First Class Parcel Service as they are not eligible.

It should be:
First Class Mail - Envelope/Large Envelope; and
First Class Parcel Service - Package/Thick Envelope

Could you please pass this along to shipping logistics guru Nate @ship_like_a_pro 

😃

Muchos gracias

Hi @scga912, this is something we're aware of. We haven't removed the large envelope package type in order to allow sellers more options when choosing their own shipping service. With that said, I'm happy to pass along your feedback to Nate Smiley Happy

Brian,
Community Team
Message 34 of 92
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

When a buyer makes an offer, and I either counter or decline it, I can send a message to the buyer. But if I accept the offer, I can't.

I would like to ask for the capability to send a message even if I accept an offer

Hi @vrykalak - will you expound on that? Are you saying that you are unable to send a buyer a message once the sale is considered confirmed?

From a Best Offer perspective, if you accept an offer there shouldn't really be any other need to message the buyer within the Offer flow, can you give me an example of what you'd need that additional feature for?

I'd like to say THANK YOU

Message 35 of 92
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

noticed the last few days that the search engine can't find items that match a parenthesized text unless the words capitalized in the item title match the capitalization in the item title.
I always keep two Advanced Search tabs open, one for active items and one for completed items.
Whichever one I try second, the search usually works, even if I don't capitalize the words in quotes. Then, when I go back to the first tab and try again, I usally get what I want.

Hi @vrykalak, can you give me the exact title that you are searching? I'm happy to look into this! 

I'll save it the next time it happens.

Message 36 of 92
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

I made the statement.  My point was that the numbers and graphs on the sellers hub page are really more for to give you a quick view of what's happening ie "eye candy" and sellers should be depending on invoices and other reports for the most accurate view.   

I agree that including EBAY COLLECTED sales tax in our totals on the Seller Hub pages is inaccurate and inappropriate, but does make the numbers "look" better.  They are just not the numbers you should use for evaluating your "real" performance.

if ebay is going to promulgate information about accounts and such, the information needs to be  true and correct; not false and misleading.  not every seller has their own accountants, nor are most math majors.    showing false and misleading information can do nothing by harm ebays reputation and lose the faith and confidence of it's sellers and buyers.  so it should be fixed as soon as identified as a error (which it has been).  

Message 37 of 92
latest reply

@motormount-parts wrote:

Hi, good afternoon!

I listed items and searched where they are on the list.

But It was hard to find my item directly so I used categories on the left of the Website.

I surely filled in the blanks in item specifics (Brand, Warranty, exc..) when I created listing the items, especially brand 'omni5'

I tried to find my item and tried to click the brand 'omni5'which I wrote, but strangely my items were specified in the not specified lists and also the brand 'omni5' wasn’t in the brand categories which contain many other brands.

My first question is i thought that the brand name is automatically made in the categories. Is it wrong?

What should I do to add my brand name to categories?

That problem still remains until now, even though I surely wrote them down.

My second question is could you explain what the problem is in this situation? And how to resolve this problem?

I tried to find about this problem but there’s nothing helpful.

I’m looking forward to your reply, thank you!

Hi @motormount-parts - Glad to hear that you're using item specifics, as those are the most effective way to detail your item's vital information to potential buyers!

When it comes to category search, a number of factors determine what exactly will show. If you are including the term 'omni 5' in the brand item specific that should be visible/sortable, though depending on the number of available brands it may be lower on the list, and potentially not surfaced to a buyer if it is not a commonly used brand or keyword. 

Happy to see if I can find any additional information, thanks for your patience, and I'll be in touch as I have more detail.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 38 of 92
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

A buyer recently chided me for overcharging on First Class shipping.

I always have Calculated Shipping, and I noticed he was right:

buyers were getting charged at least $1 more than the USPS tables showed (after I subtracted out my handling charge). ?.

Hi @vrykalak, make sure to check your site preferences to ensure the option to "Offer eBay-negotiated discount rates" to buyers is selected. That ensures buyers pay the discounted rate you are charged when purchasing a label on our site. Also be sure that the correct package type is selected when setting up shipping within a listing. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 39 of 92
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hi @gracieallen01,

Thanks for your question. 

Our pricing is specific to sellers who have been invited to participate in managed payments. Most sellers can expect to see savings compared to their current payments processing fees.

If you have received an invite to managed payments, you will receive more information on pricing before you opt in.

Ah, I see.   So, in essence, the other shoe hasn't hit the ground, yet, at least for those not already in the program.

Thank you for responding.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 40 of 92
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

A buyer recently chided me for overcharging on First Class shipping.

I always have Calculated Shipping, and I noticed he was right:

buyers were getting charged at least $1 more than the USPS tables showed (after I subtracted out my handling charge). ?.

You are listing with retail rates and adding a dollar. 

Was the item more than 13 oz?  If so, the shipping calculator won't work right as there is no First Class Retail for that weight.  I forget what it defaults to, but it's definitely a Priority Rate charge.

For my items over 13 oz, I just choose a Fixed Rate amount to workaround this.  I do want retail pricing for all other shipments.  Another option is to list with 13 oz for all 13 to 15.99 oz as the rate is the same. I'm not sure what the PO will do about it then. 

(Do you realize that all of those 13 oz shipments going to Zone 8 show $6.66 as shipping.  $5.66 plus $1?  People can be weird so you may want to think about that lol)

Good to know! Thanks.

Message 41 of 92
latest reply

WHY O WHY O WHY did someone in eBay decide that it would helpful to hide seller offered shipping options in our listings?  I offer options because depending on where the buyer is different services work better FOR THE BUYER.  Why does eBay think they are a better judge of how a buyer wants their item shipped than the buyer themselves?

This ranks very high in unnecessary and useless "disruptive innovations".

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 42 of 92
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@dasarock wrote:

i started a post about seller's hub showing the 'collected taxes' as part of the seller's true sales values for the day.  one of the replies to the post stated ebay does that for 'eye candy' purposes to make sellers feel good.  (or words to that effect.  showing eye candy is a lie, not truth or fact and makes it hard to use anything ebay says as a 'true' reference).  

anyway the premise is that seller's hub shows facts, not 'eye candy lies'.  this will cause a lack of faith in ebay by sellers if they cannot believe the "facts" ebay promulgates on seller's hub.  at that point can we believe ANYTHING ebay says?

I made the statement.  My point was that the numbers and graphs on the sellers hub page are really more for to give you a quick view of what's happening ie "eye candy" and sellers should be depending on invoices and other reports for the most accurate view.   

I agree that including EBAY COLLECTED sales tax in our totals on the Seller Hub pages is inaccurate and inappropriate, but does make the numbers "look" better.  They are just not the numbers you should use for evaluating your "real" performance.

I agree.  Ebay isn't responsible for keeping our books for us.  But I also agree that the graphs and such should always be based on accurate information.  They are tools and for tools to be useful, they need to be accurate.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 43 of 92
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Hello, everyone!

Could you please explain why ebay removed and refuses to reinstate the "Report" button in the ebay message system?

It seems to me this feature is needed by users more than ever. There have been increasing reports on the boards of many scam attempts made through this system including but not limited to:

SHIPPING REDIRECTS i.e. "My father just had a heart attack and I need to leave the state to take care of him...can you ship to this address instead...?" Most often the 'request' is made by a member who is not even the buyer of record.

SET UP FOR THE PHONY PAYPAL EMAIL: i.e. "Something is wrong with check out, can you send me your PayPal email address so I can pay?"

BASIC PHISHING: "I can't use my PayPal gift card unless you change a setting. eBay says to fix it here: (Handy link provided)

TRYING TO SELL US SOMETHING OFF EBAY: "See the great products we have for sale at this website..."

In addition, there does not seem to be any on site "report member" feature anymore either. We can't report unless the person is a buyer or seller of record.

Logically (probably only to me), reinstating the link to report inappropriate use of the message system would be of benefit to ebay users. Calling CS is time consuming and seems an antiquated and unintuitive way to report the fraud occuring on the site via the message system.

Hi @ittybitnot - I don't have an answer for you on this at the moment, but happy to do some research and get back to you with what I hear back. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 44 of 92
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I recently have been experiencing a problem with the Seller Hub.  If I go into my Order screen for Awaiting Shipments, I am able to see all my current sales that need to be shipped.

I select one and create the shipping label, print it off and then click on the link to go back to Awaiting shipments.  When I do that, there is NOTHING showing in my Awaiting Shipments.  I have to go back to the Order tab at the top of the page and then click again on Awaiting Shipments and then they all appear.  This has been happening for at least 3+ days.

It's a "feature" that has been on the All Selling page for a long time.
I never select "Awaiting Shipment" - rather I select "Sold"
Then the item is still there when I come back after creating a label.

Message 45 of 92
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: