cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, January 19 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@valueaddedresource wrote:

What is the status of the Voices pilot program here in the community? Any plans to expand it to additional categories besides collectibles?

Hi @valueaddedresource no updates just yet! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Just an idea:

Given all the hyperventilating about the new 1099Ks, would eBay consider a Q and A with someone form the IRS? Or maybe have Griff do a podcast with someone from the IRS?

NOT asking for eBay to give tax advice but get it straight from the source.  Seller education around these issues are important so that sellers know what's expected and can move ahead with confidence.

So much misinformation floating around. I am sure eBay has Government Affairs people or a firm in DC that could make this happen

So many interesting questions like:

How do I value stuff I bought years ago and have no idea or documentation of what I paid?

How do I know if I need to do a schedule C?

When does capital gains apply as opposed to income tax?

If I am filing as a business, what kinds of expenses are generally deductible?

and on and on and on

Of course everyone should consult an expert, but education helps.

Hi @glasser - great suggestion! We're on similar pages about wanting to make sure that there are good, solid resources available for people looking for input on 1099-Ks.

While I don't think a Community Q&A is going to be the most helpful, I agree that a podcast episode or some kind of more in-depth resource would be useful. I'll get that shared with Griff and other content teams!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

eBay only has 2 choices for a seller to cancel an order:  buyer requested or problem with address.  Since there are other reasons for cancelling orders, such as illness, death of seller, fire, fraud, etc., please ask eBay to add a 3rd choice:  Other with an area to enter the reason for the cancellation.

I recently had 80 suspicious purchases by 80 buyers in a single day.  Over 20 of these transactions appeared to have valid addresses.  I either had to lie and say there was a problem with the address or mail the items, even though I was 99.9% positive these transactions involved unauthorized use of buyers' accounts.  I mailed the items. 

The USPS has returned 10 so far with reasons like not deliverable as addressed, attempted - not known, no mail receptacle, vacant, insufficient address, and no such number.   If there had been the choice of Other, I would NOT have mailed these items.  Now I am out not only the $.30 transaction fees (10 x $.30 = $3.00, the postage (10 x $.58 = $5.80), and when I cancel these returns due to problem with address the purchase price (10 x $1.00 = $10.00), so a loss of $18.80 because neither choice for cancelling the orders was valid.  I think it is reasonable to be able to provide a correct reason for cancellation.

Hi @somanypostcards! I do remember talking with you about this issue and I want to make sure you know that you're totally ok to use the 'problem with the address' reason to cancel the sale and then report and block the buyer when you're 99.9% certain they're bogus.

I will pass on your suggestion for an additional cancelation reason though. 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay  last week you told @gwzcomps that in a situation where they had ordered QTY 3 of something, but had only received one, they should have filed an Item Not Received request instead of a return for "missing pieces".

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-January-12-1-00-pm-PT-Gener... 

Based on the information you have shared with me, an INR is the more appropriate route to go. To recap:

You purchased multiples of the same single-quantity item number (ie: the listing was for one widget and you purchased quantity 3) and received some, but others were missing. An Item not Received request for the missing items is the correct way to go in that scenario. 

However, back in December, in a similar scenario you had indicated otherwise.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/In-shock-eBay-siding-with-seller-that-sent-half-of-what-I/m-p/3... 

If I ordered quantity 2 of a single listing and only receive 1 I should open a Not as Described request (missing parts or pieces). 

If I ordered 2 different listings (separate item numbers) from the same seller and only receive 1 I should open an Item not Received (INR) request for the item number that did not arrive.*

I'm just trying to understand what the difference is in these scenarios - if the issue is a multiple quantity order of the same item number where only 1 was received, why wouldn't the same advice still apply?

Hi @valueaddedresource - thanks for the catch! It looks like I gave incorrect information initially. I've updated that thread. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay  last week you told @gwzcomps that in a situation where they had ordered QTY 3 of something, but had only received one, they should have filed an Item Not Received request instead of a return for "missing pieces".

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-January-12-1-00-pm-PT-Gener... 

Based on the information you have shared with me, an INR is the more appropriate route to go. To recap:

You purchased multiples of the same single-quantity item number (ie: the listing was for one widget and you purchased quantity 3) and received some, but others were missing. An Item not Received request for the missing items is the correct way to go in that scenario. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/In-shock-eBay-siding-with-seller-that-sent-half-of-what-I/m-p/3... 

If I ordered quantity 2 of a single listing and only receive 1 I should open a Not as Described request (missing parts or pieces). 

If I ordered 2 different listings (separate item numbers) from the same seller and only receive 1 I should open an Item not Received (INR) request for the item number that did not arrive.*

I'm just trying to understand what the difference is in these scenarios - if the issue is a multiple quantity order of the same item number where only 1 was received, why wouldn't the same advice still apply?

I think the same advice should apply: both are Not As Described scenarios due to missing parts, not non-delivery of the package.

Putting it another way, an Item Not Received dispute involves whether the package arrived at all, and is resolved by determining whether tracking of the package shows a Delivered status to the City and ZIP of the Ship-To: address received with the payment. It has nothing to do with the contents of the package or whether they're complete.

A Not As Described dispute addresses whether the contents of the package are as described. In the case of ordering 3 items in the shipment and only receiving one, the problem would be missing items within the package that was received.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @valueaddedresource - thanks for the catch! It looks like I gave incorrect information initially. I've updated that thread. 

Thanks!

Thanks for that clarification tyler@ebay !

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

The 3rd party app access link is still broken.  Does eBay intend to fix this?  I just got an error message:

Third-party app access

We ran into a problem. Please try again.

View or edit the third-party apps with access to your eBay account.

-----
Edit: A reply to your question can be found here
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Thanks for joining the weekly chat this week - it is now closed from further replies but we will continue to work through to ensure that questions receive a response. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

The 3rd party app access link is still broken.  Does eBay intend to fix this?  I just got an error message:

Third-party app access

We ran into a problem. Please try again.

View or edit the third-party apps with access to your eBay account.

Hi @somanypostcards - thanks for this update. This technical issue should have been resolved, I will request an update and let you know what I hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 24 of 24
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: