cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Feb 13 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Join us here on Feb 13th at 1 PM PT for our weekly Chat with the Community Team. We'll be discussing general buying and selling topics and look forward to seeing you here!

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

@alcoforever wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:
Hi @forgottenape - that's an interesting suggestion, and one I haven't heard before. I think there are legitimate reasons to want to have a separate id (a buying account used to acquire inventory vs selling account to sell the same inventory for instance). We always want to respect our member's privacy, so there are going to be concerns there as well - but I'll relay your suggestion to the right teams. Thanks!

Bad idea.   Wrecks the idea of posting ID's and keeping buying and selling ID's apart.

In addition, buyer IDs are disguised anyway, so the best you could do with that feature would be to try to match a seller's possible alternate ID to a suspicious rival bidder in an auction by way of feedback count on the disguised ID, or whether the two IDs have ever exchanged feedback, etc. It would not reveal enough information to make a shill bid diagnosis reliable.

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I am seeking clarification from eBay staff about how refunds and returns should be completed and what happens when the eBay approved protocol is not followed. In this thread we are seeing a couple different understandings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Where-do-I-find-a-return-label-or-does-a-return-request-need-to/m-p/29491088#M1368775

Starting with post number 7 where a forum user is telling others to just go to paypal and issue a label and refund as a way to handle a return and refund. There are also replies to post 7 in post 8 and specifically post 10 that are suggesting that eBay has told us that this action in post 7 would still reflect bad seller ratings.

To which this reply was offered from the author in post 7

That isn't exactly what Ebay has said. If you don't email your buyer within Ebay and outline what is transpiring, meaning the refund, then yes it is possible for Ebay to give the seller an OOS defect. But not if you are communicating with your buyer along the way on what is happening.

Here are the three questions all related to each other that I need your help with.

Question - Is it okay to just communicate through the ebay message system about refunds and returns and then proceed outside the eBay generated pathway (resolution center). Keep in mind these refunds and or returns could be for anything like out of stock or product damaged, not as described, or sent the wrong item, etc. You would not know unless there was communication from the buyer in the eBay message system about an issue.

Question - Is communications from a buyer and or seller through the eBay message system good enough for sellers to proceed outside the resolution center areas to complete these customer service tasks and also not receive bad ratings to our seller standards and service metrics?

Question - Does eBay want us to use the resolution center pathway for all returns and refunds or is there a high bred area like being talked about above that would be approved by eBay for these kinds of customer service tasks?

As dedicated sellers on eBay we deserve to hear eBay's official position about this. It should not be hard to give a clear and concise answer so every seller who reads this can know without doubt about what eBay intends for it's user to do and what consequence we face when we go outside the boundaries set up for us to use.

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling, happy to address the thread you are referring to and provide some additional context to. 

• A refund should be sent via the Cancel Transaction, Item Not Received, or Return Request process when possible. The only time that a refund via PayPal would be acceptable is if one of these other options is not appropriate. The most common example is a shipping discount provided post-checkout. This could also arise when a seller wins an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, but still wishes to refund their customer partially or in full. 
  • In instances where no other eBay process is applicable (those listed above) and the seller needs to refund via PayPal, we ask that the seller communicate with the buyer on eBay about the refund they are issuing and provide context. eBay messages that clarify the purpose of the refund would be acceptable and would serve to prevent an out of stock defect. Additionally, if one of the previously discussed cases has been opened and closed, this would count for the purposes of communication to explain the reason the refund is being issued. 
  • If the buyer is concerned about not receiving their package, a refund should be issued through the Item Not Received Request process. If the buyer wishes to return an item, this return and any associated refund (full or partial) should be issued through the Return Request process. If a buyer wishes to cancel the transaction in full, the Cancel Transaction Process should be used. There are instances where resolving a customer's concerns may not fall into one of these processes, and in those instances a refund through PayPal with communication on eBay would be acceptable. A refund through PayPal without explanation on the eBay platform may result in a Cancel Transaction defect for Out Of Stock.
  • This topic is touched on in our Knowledge Base article for issuing a partial refund, found here.

This has come up again because of something I said on the thread that was referenced.

I do understand and respect Ebay's position on this.  But how or why would I tell a buyer that does not want to file a claim that they have to or I can't help them?  Some buyers do not want to mess with the claims process.  And I don't think I should tell them that I can't help them unless they do.  How would that be better customer service than if I just took care of them without a claim?

I do understand that Ebay wants sellers to support the Service Metrics program.  I don't agree with it as I've made abundantly clear before, but I do understand that this is a driving force in having sellers always use the claims system when a refund to a buyer is needed.  However this is not a one size fits all.  Some buyer just don't want to file claims.

Your buyer could have abused the MBG and may not be eligible, or does not want to be on Ebays radar for returns. If you want to support this, you could be enabling a rotten buyer.

Hi @papermoneyforme, great callout - I just responded to another question with this exact suggestion and I wanted to give you credit for sharing this idea as well!

Nothing was suggested in that reponse though? No idea was shared. This is just weird.

The lord knows my heart so I ain't trippin' off no church

Positive is the attitude
Negative is not the mood
Message 47 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I am seeking clarification from eBay staff about how refunds and returns should be completed and what happens when the eBay approved protocol is not followed. In this thread we are seeing a couple different understandings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Where-do-I-find-a-return-label-or-does-a-return-request-need-to/m-p/29491088#M1368775

Starting with post number 7 where a forum user is telling others to just go to paypal and issue a label and refund as a way to handle a return and refund. There are also replies to post 7 in post 8 and specifically post 10 that are suggesting that eBay has told us that this action in post 7 would still reflect bad seller ratings.

That isn't exactly what Ebay has said. If you don't email your buyer within Ebay and outline what is transpiring, meaning the refund, then yes it is possible for Ebay to give the seller an OOS defect. But not if you are communicating with your buyer along the way on what is happening.

Here are the three questions all related to each other that I need your help with.

Question - Is it okay to just communicate through the ebay message system about refunds and returns and then proceed outside the eBay generated pathway (resolution center). Keep in mind these refunds and or returns could be for anything like out of stock or product damaged, not as described, or sent the wrong item, etc. You would not know unless there was communication from the buyer in the eBay message system about an issue.

Question - Is communications from a buyer and or seller through the eBay message system good enough for sellers to proceed outside the resolution center areas to complete these customer service tasks and also not receive bad ratings to our seller standards and service metrics?

Question - Does eBay want us to use the resolution center pathway for all returns and refunds or is there a high bred area like being talked about above that would be approved by eBay for these kinds of customer service tasks?

As dedicated sellers on eBay we deserve to hear eBay's official position about this. It should not be hard to give a clear and concise answer so every seller who reads this can know without doubt about what eBay intends for it's user to do and what consequence we face when we go outside the boundaries set up for us to use.

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling, happy to address the thread you are referring to and provide some additional context to. 

• A refund should be sent via the Cancel Transaction, Item Not Received, or Return Request process when possible. The only time that a refund via PayPal would be acceptable is if one of these other options is not appropriate. The most common example is a shipping discount provided post-checkout. This could also arise when a seller wins an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, but still wishes to refund their customer partially or in full. 
  • In instances where no other eBay process is applicable (those listed above) and the seller needs to refund via PayPal, we ask that the seller communicate with the buyer on eBay about the refund they are issuing and provide context. eBay messages that clarify the purpose of the refund would be acceptable and would serve to prevent an out of stock defect. Additionally, if one of the previously discussed cases has been opened and closed, this would count for the purposes of communication to explain the reason the refund is being issued. 
  • If the buyer is concerned about not receiving their package, a refund should be issued through the Item Not Received Request process. If the buyer wishes to return an item, this return and any associated refund (full or partial) should be issued through the Return Request process. If a buyer wishes to cancel the transaction in full, the Cancel Transaction Process should be used. There are instances where resolving a customer's concerns may not fall into one of these processes, and in those instances a refund through PayPal with communication on eBay would be acceptable. A refund through PayPal without explanation on the eBay platform may result in a Cancel Transaction defect for Out Of Stock.
  • This topic is touched on in our Knowledge Base article for issuing a partial refund, found here.

This has come up again because of something I said on the thread that was referenced.

I do understand and respect Ebay's position on this.  But how or why would I tell a buyer that does not want to file a claim that they have to or I can't help them?  Some buyers do not want to mess with the claims process.  And I don't think I should tell them that I can't help them unless they do.  How would that be better customer service than if I just took care of them without a claim?

I do understand that Ebay wants sellers to support the Service Metrics program.  I don't agree with it as I've made abundantly clear before, but I do understand that this is a driving force in having sellers always use the claims system when a refund to a buyer is needed.  However this is not a one size fits all.  Some buyer just don't want to file claims.

Your buyer could have abused the MBG and may not be eligible, or does not want to be on Ebays radar for returns. If you want to support this, you could be enabling a rotten buyer.

So we are suppose to tell them we can't help them unless they file a claim?

Where does it say in the Ebay rules that it is Manditory?  Please provide a link.

Over the years I've had a few buyers that have wanted to return something and not open a claim.  Having concerns over if they were abusing me or the system was never even a question or concern.  They had an issue that I was willing to take care of, so I did.

Hi @mam98031, we touched on this in the Fall 2015 Seller Update in the FAQ. If a buyer contacts to cancel or request a refund, the correct cancellation reason or request must be used. A refund through PayPal when there was another more appropriate process can be counted as an Out Of Stock defect. We also touch on this in the Knowledge Base article for issuing a partial refund, found here

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

More regarding buyers opening claims or Not.

I understand Ebay recommends that we do just as you have previously describe.  Since this is being pushed as being boarder line mandatory, are we moving this direction on all things Ebay Recommends?  I'm not trying to be silly.  I'm trying to understand when a recommendation is a recommendation and when a recommendation is actually mandatory.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 49 of 63
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@vrykalak   Thanks' V ... it just not explain why it worked a certain way on numerous accounts and then suddenly stopped ... all separate computers all separate accounts ...

Typo in my answer: I meant to say the format between the original AND Seller Hub.
I agree with you that there is an error in the Seller Hub, very recently introduced, and eBay should fix it.
In the meantime, you can get the true numbers for Relisted and Not Relisted items using that intermediate format.

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

I had to adjust handling times last week because I am located in an area which is being hit very hard by a snowstorm.  We have almost 2 feet of snow.  Mail delivery and pick up is hit or miss and I am concerned about the sudden change in my performance.   Although I changed my handling time, I usually ship in 1 day and often same day.

Now my handling time does not show and a couple of weeks ago you said that ebay makes estimations based in past performance.

As another posted suggested, putting it in the listing or the item specifics is not a good solution because I don't want to change it each time I have to change everything (vacation, snow event etc)

Am I going to have problems because I am now shipping in 3 days when I almost always ship in one day or same day (1 day handling ) 

Customer support was of no help when I called them to ask about this weather event. And of course it is not a big deal to anyone that does not live in this area.. snow is common in lots of parts of the country.. just not here. or at least not this much here....

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

@millcreekrescue909 wrote:

Regarding eBay not showing the handling time.  This has been an ongoing issue for me as a seller, to the extend that I have added it to "Item Specifics".

I have that as a standard part of the general information at the end of every listing: if payment is received before 2pm Pacific time, the package will be mailed that day; otherwise, it will be mailed the next day.

But if you do that, and you have the need to change your handling time, then you have to change all your listings descriptions which is no where near as easy as just changing the field specifically for handling time.

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@Anonymous   wrote: " ... A refund should be sent via the Cancel Transaction, Item Not Received, or Return Request process when possible. The only time that a refund via PayPal would be acceptable is if one of these other options is not appropriate. The most common example is a shipping discount provided post-checkout. This could also arise when a seller wins an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, but still wishes to refund their customer partially or in full. ..."

On this subject previously eBay Team Members advised Sellers to process the partial refund then drop a message to the Buyer explaining what the Refund was for.  That way all parties (eBay-Seller-Buyer) know what the reason was for that partial Refund.  We also do this when the cart fails to return an invoice to adjust on multiple purchases and a Buyer needs to have a large chunk of over paid shipping returned to them ...

Hi @mr_lincoln, great example! This is one of the times where a partial refund through PayPal would be appropriate. The buyer is not concerned with an item they have not received, is not returning anything, and does not want to cancel the order - they simply are being some of the shipping cost. We are working on improving this process in the future and are happy to support our sellers while they work to resolve their buyer's concerns.

Message 53 of 63
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

This post says Terapeak is now free with basic and above store subscriptions.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Feb-6-from-1-00-pm-PT-Seaso...

On my store subscriptions page it says Terapeak is $12/month yearly or $19/month to month. I currently have an eBay premium store.

Hi @coffeebean832! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Jen had the incorrect timeframe in that post in regard to Terapeak (we've since edited it). Terapeak will be an included as a free service in the near future (likely in March, but this isn't 100% set in stone yet). Sorry for the confusion this caused!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 54 of 63
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

So we are suppose to tell them we can't help them unless they file a claim?

Where does it say in the Ebay rules that it is Manditory?  Please provide a link.

Over the years I've had a few buyers that have wanted to return something and not open a claim.  Having concerns over if they were abusing me or the system was never even a question or concern.  They had an issue that I was willing to take care of, so I did.

Hi @mam98031, we touched on this in the Fall 2015 Seller Update in the FAQ. If a buyer contacts to cancel or request a refund, the correct cancellation reason or request must be used. A refund through PayPal when there was another more appropriate process can be counted as an Out Of Stock defect. We also touch on this in the Knowledge Base article for issuing a partial refund, found here

I'm not talking about using the cancellation process.  I did not bring that up at all.  That is not the point.

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Thanks for joining us this afternoon! The chat is now closed for replies and we will work to respond to all open questions that remain. Have a great Wednesday!

Message 56 of 63
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

brian@ebay   The wording for a number of those items on that tile have always been a tad wonky ... however, and as mentioned, that 533 number used to always go DOWN when an item was Relisted and then Deleted from the folder (manually) ... now they all automatically delete and there is no choice to do them manaully because they are gone, toast, history ... BUT the number does not go down ... I hope I made that clear.

I don't care if it winds up being another folder, I just want the old functionality that when I go to Seller Hub I have ONE place to look on the Overview Page to see what if anything ended and was has not been Relisted ... if that makes it more clear.  After all, that's the purpose of the Overview page right????

I agree that having the number of not relisted item's would be really useful on the Overview page. I'll send this over to the team. Thanks, @mr_lincoln

Brian,
Community Team
Message 57 of 63
latest reply

@golf-usga wrote:

I had to adjust handling times last week because I am located in an area which is being hit very hard by a snowstorm.  We have almost 2 feet of snow.  Mail delivery and pick up is hit or miss and I am concerned about the sudden change in my performance.   Although I changed my handling time, I usually ship in 1 day and often same day.

Now my handling time does not show and a couple of weeks ago you said that ebay makes estimations based in past performance.

As another posted suggested, putting it in the listing or the item specifics is not a good solution because I don't want to change it each time I have to change everything (vacation, snow event etc)

Am I going to have problems because I am now shipping in 3 days when I almost always ship in one day or same day (1 day handling ) 

Customer support was of no help when I called them to ask about this weather event. And of course it is not a big deal to anyone that does not live in this area.. snow is common in lots of parts of the country.. just not here. or at least not this much here....

Hi @golf-usga  - stay safe and warm, first and foremost!

When it comes to your account there is no detriment to you adjusting your handling time to 3 days (other than the loss of a Top Rated Plus discount on items that sell with the greater handling time). As long as you are meeting your stated expectation (3 day handling) you will not incur any negative ramifications. 

If you are completely unable to ship items (your local post office is closed due to weather, for example) we'd want you to contact CS for help protecting your account from such an impact. However, it sounds like you have things well in hand with the extra processing time. 

Shipping estimates are always displayed with your handling time factored in - and if you went from 1 day to 3, that would show in the estimates we provide your buyers. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 58 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @mam98031, while I certainly understand a buyer may be inconvenienced or disatisfied by this process, tracking this properly ensures the strength of our Community. I've seen a lot of concerns from sellers regarding their Service Metrics and the risk of upsetting a customer, and I want to also propose a component that I have not seen many sellers consider; if these claims are not recorded properly, it becomes much more difficult for us to identify abuse of the eBay Money Back Guarantee on the buyer's part, thus weakening our protection for sellers overall. If a buyer is not opening the appropriate request, they may be intentionally avoiding the resolution process. By tracking this properly, we not only ensure that sellers metrics are calculated fairly, but we also are able to take appropriate action on a buyer who is abusing our protection programs (appropriate actions could include loss of eBay Money Back Guarantee protections, buying restrictions, account suspension, etc.)

OK so lets put this another way. 

Is Ebay going to sanction a seller for helping their buyer with an issue that they have no desire to file a claim on?  If so, why? What policy is the seller breaching?

Or is Ebay going to make the claim process mandatory?

And what if my buyer insists they don't want to open a claim for whatever reason they have.  Am I suppose to say so sorry, no claim, no help?

This doesn't happen often, but it has happened.  A couple of times over the years it has been with a repeat customer that had an issue.  They returned the item and I refunded as they requested and I had NO issue with that.  I like to make it as easy on my customer as possible.  And yes, they have come back again and again.  I may not be able to say that if I had of said they had to open a claim or I can't help them.  And I would probably be sporting a nice Negative on my FB page.

Hi @mam98031, really what this comes down to is eBay has an appropriate process for the platform and even if your customer asks you to go outside of this process, sellers need to meet our expectations. An Out Of Stock defect may be recorded if the appropriate steps are not taken, and a seller could face consequences. 

Buyers who return items in person may not want to wait in line at the Customer Service desk, show their ID, or sign receipts confirming a refund has been issued, but these are common processes and they would be followed regardless of a customer's frustration. While we acknowledge that a situation requiring a refund is poor experience, we have specific steps that need to be taken to resolve these types of concerns.

If your buyer insists they are not willing open a request, you can direct them to Customer Service and clearly explain that you cannot provide a refund without the proper steps being taken. Though I must stress, this is not a clear indication of abuse on their part, it could be a red flag that the buyer is attempting to circumvent our protection programs.

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@prettyinplaid wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @papermoneyforme, great callout - I just responded to another question with this exact suggestion and I wanted to give you credit for sharing this idea as well!

Nothing was suggested in that reponse though? No idea was shared. This is just weird.

Hi @prettyinplaid, happy to clear up the confusion; @papermoneyforme suggested that a buyer could be abusing the Money Back Guarantee and may not be eligible to open a request. This is the same possibility I proposed in a response to an earlier comment in this chat, and I just wanted to give credit where credit is due that another member of the Community saw the same possibility. 

It is a common reaction for sellers in these conversations to express concerns that eBay is asking them to encourage a buyer to open a request that could in turn have a negative impact on the seller's account. I just wanted to highlight that accurate records ensure seller metrics remain fair, and also can serve to protect sellers overall as we can more easily identify potential abuse by buyers.

Message 60 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: