cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Feb 13 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Join us here on Feb 13th at 1 PM PT for our weekly Chat with the Community Team. We'll be discussing general buying and selling topics and look forward to seeing you here!

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

@Anonymous   wrote: " ... A refund should be sent via the Cancel Transaction, Item Not Received, or Return Request process when possible. The only time that a refund via PayPal would be acceptable is if one of these other options is not appropriate. The most common example is a shipping discount provided post-checkout. This could also arise when a seller wins an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, but still wishes to refund their customer partially or in full. ..."

On this subject previously eBay Team Members advised Sellers to process the partial refund then drop a message to the Buyer explaining what the Refund was for.  That way all parties (eBay-Seller-Buyer) know what the reason was for that partial Refund.  We also do this when the cart fails to return an invoice to adjust on multiple purchases and a Buyer needs to have a large chunk of over paid shipping returned to them ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 31 of 63
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay Support Team:

Re:  Seller Hub Unsold Folder not reflecting proper count:  About a month ago on all accounts here the Seller Hub Unsold folder count (green arrow) stopped going down when items were Relisted (as did previously).  It used to be a nice quick reference to see if there were any ended listings that needed to be processed.  Now I have to check every single time I log in to see if anything was dumped in the file.  Nothing was changed on all the accounts (all separate computers all separate accounts) so the issue is eBay's.  I have tried numerous settings (red arrow) but none work like it used to.  Previously, when an item was Relisted I would delete it and the number on the Unsold folder in the Seller Hub tile would go down.  Now it just keeps going up and I want it to reflect what is actually in the Folder ... like today it should read (1) not (533) ... if this were the beginning of January it would read (1)

Screenshot (1451).png

Hi @mr_lincoln, Based on the wording, it would make sense for Unsold Ended Listings to give a number for ended listings, while Unsold and Not Relisted would show the number of not relisted items. However, if the Not Relisted number was displaying next to Unsold Ended Listings previously, then we'll definitely want to take a closer look at this. I'm going to pass your feedback over to the Seller Hub team for further review. Thanks! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 32 of 63
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Hello again eBay Support Team:

Next subject:

You owe me 83 Cents from another Cart failure on a multiple order …

While multiple sales to one Buyer are not the norm here they do happen and are increasing.  The ongoing unresolved failure of the cart for multiple fixed price purchases to provide Sellers with an invoice that allows adjustment for Combined shipping PRIOR to Payment is racking up quite a bit of uncredited FVFs for eBay on those overpaid shipping costs. 

Short of fixing the long standing problem the next obvious step is for eBay to automatically credit Sellers the FVF on the shipping Refunded to the Buyer on multiple purchases.  This week it’s about 83 cents for me.  Again, this should be automatic and not require sellers to call to get the FVFs credited.  While 83 cents doesn’t sound like a lot, multiply that by just a small % of the published number of over 25 million registered Selling accounts and the number grows in a hurry.

What does eBay do with all the FVFs it collects from this situation?

I am wondering if part of the Payment Processing section on the soon to be released 2019 Spring Seller Update will cover this situation and correct it once and for all?

Hi @mr_lincoln  - as you know this is a situation that would require you to contact CS directly to request a credit for the partial refunds. 

I don't have information on whether or not such automatic refunds are planned in the future, but I know this is a pain point that the development teams are aware of. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 33 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@golf-usga wrote:

I have noticed that there is not a very easy way to find a sellers handling times on listings or purchases.  I purchased something from a seller and I while I was waiting for the package to ship, I tried to find out what the seller listed as a handling time and I could find nothing.

Is there some reason why this information is withheld from a buyer?  In the case of the item I purchased, the expected delivery date is next week and the seller said shipping by priority mail which should only be two days from the seller location to buyer location.  I am surprised to see estimated delivery so far out and when I looked for  handling time, I found nothing.  Doesn't seem very buyer friendly to be left in the dark.

And my second question.  I returned an item to a seller and was "refunded" apparently by echeck.  It said the payment would clear in about 2 days  (it wasn't) and now I can't do anything until March 4.  Does this seem right?  What is the process for this type of refund.    It just doesn't seem to be a very good buyer experience.

Thank you for responding to questions and comments.

Hi @golf-usga, great question! We made the decision to roll the handling time and the shipping time together into the delivery date provided to the buyer because this is ultimately the information that buyers are most concerned with. While I understand that some buyers are curious about the handling time, we found that when this information was displayed it caused more harm than good, as buyers would often times become concerned if an item was not shipped out on time (even if it later arrived within the projected delivery timeframe). While this information would potentially give context as to why a delivery date is longer than the buyer may expect, there also could be other reasons and ultimately, the delivery date is the component that we offer protection on and is the real expectation being set.

As for the echeck refund, this will occur when the funding source for the refund is a bank and not a credit or debit card, or the PayPal account balance. While this scenario is less common and does not always have an extended completion timeframe, what you have described would not be a cause for alarm. To be clear, I don't want to minimize the frustration this may raise, I just want to reassure you that this is not something in the seller's control nor is it an indication that you will not receive your refund. 

If the refund has not cleared by the date you have been provided, I suggest you contact Customer Service. We won't be able to take any action prior to the expected clearing date, but after this time we can take steps to ensure you are compensated appropriately!

Message 34 of 63
latest reply

brian@ebay   The wording for a number of those items on that tile have always been a tad wonky ... however, and as mentioned, that 533 number used to always go DOWN when an item was Relisted and then Deleted from the folder (manually) ... now they all automatically delete and there is no choice to do them manaully because they are gone, toast, history ... BUT the number does not go down ... I hope I made that clear.

I don't care if it winds up being another folder, I just want the old functionality that when I go to Seller Hub I have ONE place to look on the Overview Page to see what if anything ended and was has not been Relisted ... if that makes it more clear.  After all, that's the purpose of the Overview page right????

Regards,
Message 35 of 63
latest reply

Regarding eBay not showing the handling time.  This has been an ongoing issue for me as a seller, to the extend that I have added it to "Item Specifics".

Always a newbie!
Message 36 of 63
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Re:  Seller Hub Unsold Folder not reflecting proper count:  About a month ago on all accounts here the Seller Hub Unsold folder count (green arrow) stopped going down when items were Relisted (as did previously).  It used to be a nice quick reference to see if there were any ended listings that needed to be processed.  Now I have to check every single time I log in to see if anything was dumped in the file.  Nothing was changed on all the accounts (all separate computers all separate accounts) so the issue is eBay's.  I have tried numerous settings (red arrow) but none work like it used to.

Hi @mr_lincoln, Based on the wording, it would make sense for Unsold Ended Listings to give a number for ended listings, while Unsold and Not Relisted would show the number of not relisted items. However, if the Not Relisted number was displaying next to Unsold Ended Listings previously, then we'll definitely want to take a closer look at this. I'm going to pass your feedback over to the Seller Hub team for further review. Thanks! 

If you access the new-old Unsold List (the one between the original format at Seller Hub), the Relisted and Not Relisted items are in separate tables.
You may want to use that until eBay fixes whatever they recently changed in Seller Hub.

Message 37 of 63
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@forgottenape wrote:

in the interest of transparency for buyers and other sellers shouldn't ebay link all of a members id names on their about me page? this would cut down on the  rampant rumors of shill bidders and seller competition complaints. I understand there are legitimate reasons for multiple id's but im also sure that legitimate members wouldn't mind having all their id's linked in one place both to divert traffic to their other stores and to dispel rumors and innuendo of wrong doing. seems like a simple thing to resolve the never ending conspiracy theories. and if they are true on some level it will discourage further actions

Hi @forgottenape - that's an interesting suggestion, and one I haven't heard before. I think there are legitimate reasons to want to have a separate id (a buying account used to acquire inventory vs selling account to sell the same inventory for instance). We always want to respect our member's privacy, so there are going to be concerns there as well - but I'll relay your suggestion to the right teams. Thanks!

Bad idea.   Wrecks the idea of posting ID's and keeping buying and selling ID's apart.

Message 38 of 63
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Hello again eBay Support Team:

Next subject:

You owe me 83 Cents from another Cart failure on a multiple order …

While multiple sales to one Buyer are not the norm here they do happen and are increasing.  The ongoing unresolved failure of the cart for multiple fixed price purchases to provide Sellers with an invoice that allows adjustment for Combined shipping PRIOR to Payment is racking up quite a bit of uncredited FVFs for eBay on those overpaid shipping costs. 

Short of fixing the long standing problem the next obvious step is for eBay to automatically credit Sellers the FVF on the shipping Refunded to the Buyer on multiple purchases.  This week it’s about 83 cents for me.  Again, this should be automatic and not require sellers to call to get the FVFs credited.  While 83 cents doesn’t sound like a lot, multiply that by just a small % of the published number of over 25 million registered Selling accounts and the number grows in a hurry.

What does eBay do with all the FVFs it collects from this situation?

I am wondering if part of the Payment Processing section on the soon to be released 2019 Spring Seller Update will cover this situation and correct it once and for all?

Hi @mr_lincoln  - as you know this is a situation that would require you to contact CS directly to request a credit for the partial refunds. 

I don't have information on whether or not such automatic refunds are planned in the future, but I know this is a pain point that the development teams are aware of. Thanks!

No, I actually did not know that it requires a call every time I need to get $$ credited back for this type of situation, I must have missed that solution whenever it was posted.  Sorry but every other site I purchase multiple items from the cart handles it all as one transaction.  The APV system seems to work automatically when a shipping refund is due a Seller so again, just can not see why the cart does not function properly ...

Regards,
Message 39 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I am seeking clarification from eBay staff about how refunds and returns should be completed and what happens when the eBay approved protocol is not followed. In this thread we are seeing a couple different understandings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Where-do-I-find-a-return-label-or-does-a-return-request-need-to/m-p/29491088#M1368775

Starting with post number 7 where a forum user is telling others to just go to paypal and issue a label and refund as a way to handle a return and refund. There are also replies to post 7 in post 8 and specifically post 10 that are suggesting that eBay has told us that this action in post 7 would still reflect bad seller ratings.

To which this reply was offered from the author in post 7

That isn't exactly what Ebay has said. If you don't email your buyer within Ebay and outline what is transpiring, meaning the refund, then yes it is possible for Ebay to give the seller an OOS defect. But not if you are communicating with your buyer along the way on what is happening.

Here are the three questions all related to each other that I need your help with.

Question - Is it okay to just communicate through the ebay message system about refunds and returns and then proceed outside the eBay generated pathway (resolution center). Keep in mind these refunds and or returns could be for anything like out of stock or product damaged, not as described, or sent the wrong item, etc. You would not know unless there was communication from the buyer in the eBay message system about an issue.

Question - Is communications from a buyer and or seller through the eBay message system good enough for sellers to proceed outside the resolution center areas to complete these customer service tasks and also not receive bad ratings to our seller standards and service metrics?

Question - Does eBay want us to use the resolution center pathway for all returns and refunds or is there a high bred area like being talked about above that would be approved by eBay for these kinds of customer service tasks?

As dedicated sellers on eBay we deserve to hear eBay's official position about this. It should not be hard to give a clear and concise answer so every seller who reads this can know without doubt about what eBay intends for it's user to do and what consequence we face when we go outside the boundaries set up for us to use.

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling, happy to address the thread you are referring to and provide some additional context to. 

• A refund should be sent via the Cancel Transaction, Item Not Received, or Return Request process when possible. The only time that a refund via PayPal would be acceptable is if one of these other options is not appropriate. The most common example is a shipping discount provided post-checkout. This could also arise when a seller wins an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, but still wishes to refund their customer partially or in full. 
  • In instances where no other eBay process is applicable (those listed above) and the seller needs to refund via PayPal, we ask that the seller communicate with the buyer on eBay about the refund they are issuing and provide context. eBay messages that clarify the purpose of the refund would be acceptable and would serve to prevent an out of stock defect. Additionally, if one of the previously discussed cases has been opened and closed, this would count for the purposes of communication to explain the reason the refund is being issued. 
  • If the buyer is concerned about not receiving their package, a refund should be issued through the Item Not Received Request process. If the buyer wishes to return an item, this return and any associated refund (full or partial) should be issued through the Return Request process. If a buyer wishes to cancel the transaction in full, the Cancel Transaction Process should be used. There are instances where resolving a customer's concerns may not fall into one of these processes, and in those instances a refund through PayPal with communication on eBay would be acceptable. A refund through PayPal without explanation on the eBay platform may result in a Cancel Transaction defect for Out Of Stock.
  • This topic is touched on in our Knowledge Base article for issuing a partial refund, found here.

This has come up again because of something I said on the thread that was referenced.

I do understand and respect Ebay's position on this.  But how or why would I tell a buyer that does not want to file a claim that they have to or I can't help them?  Some buyers do not want to mess with the claims process.  And I don't think I should tell them that I can't help them unless they do.  How would that be better customer service than if I just took care of them without a claim?

I do understand that Ebay wants sellers to support the Service Metrics program.  I don't agree with it as I've made abundantly clear before, but I do understand that this is a driving force in having sellers always use the claims system when a refund to a buyer is needed.  However this is not a one size fits all.  Some buyer just don't want to file claims.

Hi @mam98031, while I certainly understand a buyer may be inconvenienced or disatisfied by this process, tracking this properly ensures the strength of our Community. I've seen a lot of concerns from sellers regarding their Service Metrics and the risk of upsetting a customer, and I want to also propose a component that I have not seen many sellers consider; if these claims are not recorded properly, it becomes much more difficult for us to identify abuse of the eBay Money Back Guarantee on the buyer's part, thus weakening our protection for sellers overall. If a buyer is not opening the appropriate request, they may be intentionally avoiding the resolution process. By tracking this properly, we not only ensure that sellers metrics are calculated fairly, but we also are able to take appropriate action on a buyer who is abusing our protection programs (appropriate actions could include loss of eBay Money Back Guarantee protections, buying restrictions, account suspension, etc.)

Message 40 of 63
latest reply

@vrykalak   Thanks' V ... it just not explain why it worked a certain way on numerous accounts and then suddenly stopped ... all separate computers all separate accounts ...

Regards,
Message 41 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I am seeking clarification from eBay staff about how refunds and returns should be completed and what happens when the eBay approved protocol is not followed. In this thread we are seeing a couple different understandings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Where-do-I-find-a-return-label-or-does-a-return-request-need-to/m-p/29491088#M1368775

Starting with post number 7 where a forum user is telling others to just go to paypal and issue a label and refund as a way to handle a return and refund. There are also replies to post 7 in post 8 and specifically post 10 that are suggesting that eBay has told us that this action in post 7 would still reflect bad seller ratings.

That isn't exactly what Ebay has said. If you don't email your buyer within Ebay and outline what is transpiring, meaning the refund, then yes it is possible for Ebay to give the seller an OOS defect. But not if you are communicating with your buyer along the way on what is happening.

Here are the three questions all related to each other that I need your help with.

Question - Is it okay to just communicate through the ebay message system about refunds and returns and then proceed outside the eBay generated pathway (resolution center). Keep in mind these refunds and or returns could be for anything like out of stock or product damaged, not as described, or sent the wrong item, etc. You would not know unless there was communication from the buyer in the eBay message system about an issue.

Question - Is communications from a buyer and or seller through the eBay message system good enough for sellers to proceed outside the resolution center areas to complete these customer service tasks and also not receive bad ratings to our seller standards and service metrics?

Question - Does eBay want us to use the resolution center pathway for all returns and refunds or is there a high bred area like being talked about above that would be approved by eBay for these kinds of customer service tasks?

As dedicated sellers on eBay we deserve to hear eBay's official position about this. It should not be hard to give a clear and concise answer so every seller who reads this can know without doubt about what eBay intends for it's user to do and what consequence we face when we go outside the boundaries set up for us to use.

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling, happy to address the thread you are referring to and provide some additional context to. 

• A refund should be sent via the Cancel Transaction, Item Not Received, or Return Request process when possible. The only time that a refund via PayPal would be acceptable is if one of these other options is not appropriate. The most common example is a shipping discount provided post-checkout. This could also arise when a seller wins an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, but still wishes to refund their customer partially or in full. 
  • In instances where no other eBay process is applicable (those listed above) and the seller needs to refund via PayPal, we ask that the seller communicate with the buyer on eBay about the refund they are issuing and provide context. eBay messages that clarify the purpose of the refund would be acceptable and would serve to prevent an out of stock defect. Additionally, if one of the previously discussed cases has been opened and closed, this would count for the purposes of communication to explain the reason the refund is being issued. 
  • If the buyer is concerned about not receiving their package, a refund should be issued through the Item Not Received Request process. If the buyer wishes to return an item, this return and any associated refund (full or partial) should be issued through the Return Request process. If a buyer wishes to cancel the transaction in full, the Cancel Transaction Process should be used. There are instances where resolving a customer's concerns may not fall into one of these processes, and in those instances a refund through PayPal with communication on eBay would be acceptable. A refund through PayPal without explanation on the eBay platform may result in a Cancel Transaction defect for Out Of Stock.
  • This topic is touched on in our Knowledge Base article for issuing a partial refund, found here.

This has come up again because of something I said on the thread that was referenced.

I do understand and respect Ebay's position on this.  But how or why would I tell a buyer that does not want to file a claim that they have to or I can't help them?  Some buyers do not want to mess with the claims process.  And I don't think I should tell them that I can't help them unless they do.  How would that be better customer service than if I just took care of them without a claim?

I do understand that Ebay wants sellers to support the Service Metrics program.  I don't agree with it as I've made abundantly clear before, but I do understand that this is a driving force in having sellers always use the claims system when a refund to a buyer is needed.  However this is not a one size fits all.  Some buyer just don't want to file claims.

Your buyer could have abused the MBG and may not be eligible, or does not want to be on Ebays radar for returns. If you want to support this, you could be enabling a rotten buyer.

Hi @papermoneyforme, great callout - I just responded to another question with this exact suggestion and I wanted to give you credit for sharing this idea as well!

Message 42 of 63
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

The poster on this thread was unable to access a return label through the app. Is that how it's supposed to work?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Return-Dropship-SNAD/m-p/29492921#M1369068

Hi @coffeebean832 - a return label should be available via the app, so in that situation I would encourage the OP to contact CS for troubleshooting. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 43 of 63
latest reply

@millcreekrescue909 wrote:

Regarding eBay not showing the handling time.  This has been an ongoing issue for me as a seller, to the extend that I have added it to "Item Specifics".

I have that as a standard part of the general information at the end of every listing: if payment is received before 2pm Pacific time, the package will be mailed that day; otherwise, it will be mailed the next day.

Message 44 of 63
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @mam98031, while I certainly understand a buyer may be inconvenienced or disatisfied by this process, tracking this properly ensures the strength of our Community. I've seen a lot of concerns from sellers regarding their Service Metrics and the risk of upsetting a customer, and I want to also propose a component that I have not seen many sellers consider; if these claims are not recorded properly, it becomes much more difficult for us to identify abuse of the eBay Money Back Guarantee on the buyer's part, thus weakening our protection for sellers overall. If a buyer is not opening the appropriate request, they may be intentionally avoiding the resolution process. By tracking this properly, we not only ensure that sellers metrics are calculated fairly, but we also are able to take appropriate action on a buyer who is abusing our protection programs (appropriate actions could include loss of eBay Money Back Guarantee protections, buying restrictions, account suspension, etc.)

OK so lets put this another way. 

Is Ebay going to sanction a seller for helping their buyer with an issue that they have no desire to file a claim on?  If so, why? What policy is the seller breaching?

Or is Ebay going to make the claim process mandatory?

And what if my buyer insists they don't want to open a claim for whatever reason they have.  Am I suppose to say so sorry, no claim, no help?

This doesn't happen often, but it has happened.  A couple of times over the years it has been with a repeat customer that had an issue.  They returned the item and I refunded as they requested and I had NO issue with that.  I like to make it as easy on my customer as possible.  And yes, they have come back again and again.  I may not be able to say that if I had of said they had to open a claim or I can't help them.  And I would probably be sporting a nice Negative on my FB page.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 45 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: