cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, December 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

@gwzcomps wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I noticed the failed payment this morning and I see that Jordan Sweetnam has a big post on the community here right away about this particular issue. Seriously, I have had zero problems with MP since I started over a years and a half ago. What kind of support do you need that they are not providing? Any time If I have a question or concern I call them and they are there to discuss stuff. My bookeeping system is working perfectly with their system. Payments get in my account Lickety split. 

I honestly don't know how to find that page short of seeing Mam's post on the boards.  I never have gotten an answer to why I am paying fees on sales tax that was never charged.  Plus with PayPal I have a 1-800 number I can call.  I can't call MP.  I can request a call back, but only if eBay deems it fit.

Actually that isn't quite accurate.  You have gotten answers, you just don't like the answer.

Nope I never got an answer.  You might have me confused with someone else.

Sales tax was charged, not by you but by Ebay for 40+ different states as appropriate and required by law.  In MP as in PP, they process the entire payment submitted by the buyer.  Yes, Ebay pulls the sales tax portion after payment to report and remit it to the appropriate states.  

In MP specifically, they moved to a Simplified Fee.  One fee that represents the FVF on the sale and the money processing fee.  While none of us was use to paying a FVF on the sales tax portion of a sale to Ebay, in the fee structure the balance of the FVF on the product and shipping was slightly lower [0.55%] that what we paid before MP.  That was in an effort to neutralize the impact of FVFs on sales tax so that the Simplified Fee does not represent a fee increase to most sellers.

The sellers that it mostly will negatively affected / fee increases are sellers moving from PP micro payments to MP.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 64
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - I think you will find most of us are fairly reasonable and understand "things happen" sometimes.  I believe most of us would consider "as soon as eBay was aware there was a problem" to be "soon enough". 

Again, many tech companies have a procedure that goes something like notification of issue identified > status updates > final message with resolution.  It is not rocket science and I'm sure most of us would applaud that type of procedure as being acceptable and "soon enough".

The objection being overwhelmingly voiced all over this community today is that "after it has already been fixed" is absolutely not "soon enough" and is unacceptable.  eBay needs to listen to that feedback and do better if they care at all about seller trust and confidence.

With eBay in theory being a tech company I am surprised they don't have better systems in place.  A simple message goes a long way.  If eBay tried posting something like "We are working on known site issues and will post updates as we get more info." people would have more confidence in the site.  The entire eBay server farm could literally be on fire and a message like that would be enough for me to shrug and figure it is under control.

Message 47 of 64
latest reply

Hi,  

Last year I asked about the immediate views that listings get.  Well, it's over a year later and it's still happening.   Do you have any updates to share now? Original message below.

Thank you,

cookie

------------------

Hi,

Could you please explain the instant views that some items get as soon as they are listed?  Some of my items have received as many as 1,000 views the moment that they are listed, while others receive 1 or 5 or 10 or none.

1. What entity/robot is viewing the listings?

2. Can the instant views be turned off?   It's hard to know if an item is of real interest (until it is bought)  when you can't determine how many views it has received.

3. Are the instant views a glitch or is this intentional?  If a glitch, is there a timeframe for a fix?

Thank you,

cookie

Hi @cookiecookie55, this is a known issue. Our tech team is working to resolve this but I do not have a timeframe on when the fix is expected. 

Brian,

_____
Edit: Reply to this post can be read here
Message 48 of 64
latest reply

I brought this up before but it is still happening on many of my scans.

It's just not a good look for sellers when the buyer sees strange tracking information. (pre shipment info sent after USPS is in possession of the item)  This is on ebay's side , not USPS>

strange.png

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

When is eBay going to be more transparent when they screw things up? Seems with this recent MP issue no effort was made to keep us paying users informed. Also it is nice that while pretending to be a payment processor eBay lacks the ability to provide the support any real payment processor provides.

Hi @gwzcomps - we work hard to be up front with impacted members as we have information to share. We posted an Announcement regarding payouts earlier today when we had detail to provide. Thanks.

tyler@ebay  - respectfully I have to say, that's not good enough.

Standard procedure for many companies is to provide notice immediately as soon as a tech issue is reported, relevant status updates along the way as it is being addressed, and a final "all clear" update once the situation is resolved.

There is absolutely no good reason eBay could not and should not follow this standard, accepted model for tech companies to communicate with their paying users about service disruptions.

Bonus Tip - adopting this kind of procedure also greatly lessens the impact to CS as panicked sellers won't be flooding all available contact points.  It really would be a win win for both eBay and users. 👍

Hi @valueaddedresource - we're on the same page on this. I will add your input next to my own on this suggestion. 🙂

Thank you tyler@ebay  - if you need an example of a company that does this really well, I'd be happy to send you screenshots of the kinds of email notifications that BigCommerce sends out when they have any tech issues that cause service disruptions.

Whether it is a site issue or just a problem with their customer support phone lines being down, they do an awesome job of communicating with their users.

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I noticed the failed payment this morning and I see that Jordan Sweetnam has a big post on the community here right away about this particular issue. Seriously, I have had zero problems with MP since I started over a years and a half ago. What kind of support do you need that they are not providing? Any time If I have a question or concern I call them and they are there to discuss stuff. My bookeeping system is working perfectly with their system. Payments get in my account Lickety split. 

I honestly don't know how to find that page short of seeing Mam's post on the boards.  I never have gotten an answer to why I am paying fees on sales tax that was never charged.  Plus with PayPal I have a 1-800 number I can call.  I can't call MP.  I can request a call back, but only if eBay deems it fit.

Actually that isn't quite accurate.  You have gotten answers, you just don't like the answer.

Sales tax was charged, not by you but by Ebay for 40+ different states as appropriate and required by law.  In MP as in PP, they process the entire payment submitted by the buyer.  Yes, Ebay pulls the sales tax portion after payment to report and remit it to the appropriate states.  

In MP specifically, they moved to a Simplified Fee.  One fee that represents the FVF on the sale and the money processing fee.  While none of us was use to paying a FVF on the sales tax portion of a sale to Ebay, in the fee structure the balance of the FVF on the product and shipping was slightly lower [0.55%] that what we paid before MP.  That was in an effort to neutralize the impact of FVFs on sales tax so that the Simplified Fee does not represent a fee increase to most sellers.

The sellers that it mostly will negatively affected / fee increases are sellers moving from PP micro payments to MP.  

Like I said you have me confused with someone else.  I understand how the fees work in MP and am fine with them.  What I have a problem with is being charged fees on sales tax that never happened.  Seems like fraud to me but who am I to judge.

Message 51 of 64
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I'd like to bring up the topic of estimated delivery dates and holiday delays. eBay should have extended ETDs a couple days before Thanksgiving in anticipation of the shopping surge and carriers being overloaded, but they didn't. As a result, several of my packages have already missed the unrealistic ETDs provided by eBay.

In addition, I made a purchase on eBay this week and there was no notification anywhere about potential carrier delays. I purchased from 6 other retailers this week and every single one had messages both on the checkout page and in the order confirmation e-mails about delays. I wish eBay was doing something similar.

Here's an example from another retailer-

delayed1.jpgdelayed2.jpg

Can you guys please stress with the teams in charge how important it is for sellers and buyers both that unrealistic delivery expectations aren't set by eBay?

I know that Brian was inquiring with the shipping team about my questions from the holiday shipping  chat. This is an extension of that.

I'm going to send an e-mail to your team shortly with the reason this is such an important topic- particularly during the holiday season. I don't want to post publicly any policy loopholes for people to take advantage of.

@coffeebean832 that's great feedback. I'll be sure to share with the appropriate team. Thank you!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 52 of 64
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Like I said you have me confused with someone else.  I understand how the fees work in MP and am fine with them.  What I have a problem with is being charged fees on sales tax that never happened.  Seems like fraud to me but who am I to judge.

What sales tax fees that never happened are you speaking to?  If there weren't sales tax on the buyer's payment, how were you charged?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 53 of 64
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

USPS and other carriers are continuing to have major systematic delays. USPS self policing system has led them to totally stop investigating and researching lost packages that can be recovered.

I understand that I am responsible for delivery and am always happy to make this right with the buyer if a package gets lost but is ebay at all considering extending protections for us for delays and losses that are systematic and beyond our control? Things are worse now then when they gave us protections a couple of months ago.

Also is the shipping team able to assist us in any capacity with their contacts at USPS to try to assist with the systematic delays? Doesn't ebay have negotiated transit times? Aren't the shipping fee penalties we are paying supposed to de-stress the system?

Buyers are getting extremely frustrated with these delays as well. Most buyers that have contacted me to inquire about their packages have expressed concerns that the delays effect other packages from other sellers as well (and thankfully none are blaming me). I have a 100% on time shipping rate. The delays are not on my end.

I'm having the same experience with USPS about not investigating when a trace is put on a package.  I've had to file 3 of them this Thanksgiving week.  While I knew they would be slow to look for the packages, on all 3 traces I got the exact same email from different parts of the country.  This was on an email saying the trace had been RESOLVED and CLOSED.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Postal Service®.  This is in response to your recent inquiry regarding delayed mail. 

As a result of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, Postal Service Priority Mail® products and First-Class packages may temporarily experience delivery delays due to limited transportation availability. 

Please be assured, the Postal Service’s goal is to move packages as expeditiously as possible, and we are committed to ensuring timely processing and delivery of essential packages. The Postal Service continually reviews its network capacity to provide the American public reliable, efficient, and fast delivery service.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.  Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused. 

Sincerely, 

Same email just different people from different parts of the country signing them.  

@mam98031 

When they pull that just open another case. They get very angry but they will look into it if you annoy them. To open a second request it will not progress if you enter the tracking number but select "unknown tracking number" when you click the where is my package link and then place the tracking number in the comments. I had that response multiple times myself. But many workers still remain largely unwilling to do anything. I have been told to buy insurance next time, I have received the covid response you highlighted above, I have been told the package will eventually arrive but few are willing to pick up a phone and investigate.

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

INR Claims need Extension before Buyers can file!!!!

A few weeks ago I started a thread and looped three of you in on it ... it concerned the rise of late deliveries and unnecessary INR claims due to Covid-19 quarantines with carriers and the increased Holiday package volume with carriers and the shipping industry slowing down considerably.  I advised you that eBay needed to TAKE ACTION and extend the ability of Buyers to process INR claims AT LEAST 7 DAYS after the estimated delivery NOT 1 DAY PAST IT.

I was told by one of you that you were keeping an eye on it ... sorry , but this issue doesn't need an audience, it needs action as suggested or even a  longer extension.  I just had my 2nd INR claim pop up yesterday because a package has taken 9 days to go 5 hours from here when it would normally be a 2 day Priority Mail delivery.  Sellers should NOT be penalized because of eBay's lackadaisical attitude and inaction to a very real issue.  eBay needs to be adjusting Buyers' expectations regarding delivery WITH THE REALITY of the issues the industry faces right now.  I have had numerous Buyer message me asking where their package was ... if they all would have simply processed an INR I would be up to 5 or 6 now.  After 5 years of Selling and THOUSANDS of packages this has all happened in the last few weeks.  And it is not going to get any better between now and the end of they year ... will you PLEASE do something about this? 

@mr_lincoln thanks for sharing this. The Community team has passed your feedback over to the relevant team for review. Thanks!

brian@ebay   Yes, I know, it keeps getting sent there but nothing happens other than late deliveries and unhappy buyers with expectations beyond what the system can supply ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 55 of 64
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

What sales tax fees that never happened are you speaking to?  If there weren't sales tax on the buyer's payment, how were you charged?

Beats me.  The fee rate being charged is wrong.  The reports and order details don't show any sales tax being charged.  Some of my 8.5% items were charged greater than that despite being actual domestic sales.

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

@golfingaddict - Sorry usually we would want you to post this on the Technical Issues issues board here. We allow you to share item numbers for tech issues as long as they are your own items. It would be if you were sharing item numbers to advertise your items for sale or sharing other seller's items that this would a violation of the Community rules.

I understand not wanting to share these publicly and I'll reach out to you for more info.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed but we'll continue working to make sure that questions for us are addressed. See you on the boards!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 58 of 64
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

No offense to the staff here, but you might want to pass it on to the seller advocate team.

The failed payments today were one thing... 

Not posting about it for hours is another thing completely.

I am on the west coast..  I got the payment sent notice at 2:30am   I got the failed notice at 5:48AM.

ebay did not post about it until 10:31 and not until after it was resolved.

For something as important as our payouts, I would expect that ebay could at least post something faster than that.

I can't imagine how many people called their banks or were concerned that their account information was somehow compromised.     And think about how much time and energy and angst was wasted while we tried to figure out what ebay said to us.  ebay's response was not exactly seller friendly.

but we ran into a problem with your bank account. Please check to see if the bank account information you entered is correct or contact your bank for details.

Thank you for this @golfingaddict - we'll get it added to @gwzcomps and @valueaddedresource's input as well.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 59 of 64
latest reply

@partsaholic wrote:

We've sold used auto parts on eBay for 15 years, eTRS, six figures yearly

Recently, we got an email from eBay stating that we could no longer sell airbags.  This is because there are very specific standards for shipping airbags.  We follow these standards.  The email informed us that APPROVED sellers would be able to continue selling airbags and that eBay is no longer approving sellers.   Now eBay is removing our listings.  Those of our competitors, who are not following eBay's regulation on these items, remain live.

This is a significant revenue source for us.  What is the process for becoming an approved seller of airbags on eBay?  Why weren't we informed of this change and process before eBay unilaterally played favorites with our competitors?

@partsaholic if other airbag listings on the site are not listed by approved sellers then those will be removed and appropriate action taken. If you'd like more information about this policy then you can go here and select 'Have us call you' at the bottom of the page and customer service will reach out to you. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 60 of 64
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: