cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, August 14 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on August 14th for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a set topic this week, so please bring any general questions you may have on buying or selling.

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close thread. While no additional questions can be submitted after this time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that may still be unanswered.

If you're new to the chat, welcome! Simply Reply to this post with your question from 1-2 PM Pacific Time and we'll be happy to look into it with you Smiley Very Happy

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 53
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Top Rated Seller Protections

I saw that there are new protections for sellers to be able to appeal Service Metric dings when a buyer falsely opens an Item Not as Described return, is this true? Would those removals be automatic?

Additional protections are coming October 1st for Top Rated sellers. Those protections do include service metric protection for false claims filed by a buyer. You can review in more detail here. You will need to report the buyer in order to be eligible for such protection, but the removal is automatic once that's done.

Selling Limits

I noticed recently that my selling limits were raised to a very high amount. Is this accurate?

The limits you see in your account are the correct limits for the number of items and the total dollar amount of sales you can have each month. If you have received limits much higher than you had previously, consider this the new goal to reach for!

Responding To A Buyer Question

I've been noticing for several weeks when replying to buyers questions that the page will not load all the way. It will not give me the Enter Text Here so that when you click your mouse on that text it disappears. You can ask me a question on any of our items just to test it. 

We'll definitely give this a try after the chat today and see what is going on. Thanks so much for your help in getting to the bottom of this!

Shipping Supplies

Recently they made changes to the envelopes available from the Branded Shipping Supplies store - I like the change, thanks for listening to our input!

Glad to hear that they work better for you! slight_smile

eBay Upfront

Hey we have another eBay Upfront coming up in Chicago! I highly recommend attending one. It is FREE and there is so much information!

We are super excited about these events, too! For anyone interested, here is the link for the event.

eBay For Business Podcast

Mohan said this about a pilot program eBay is running, which sounds a little like the guides eBay discontinued a while back. Can you get us some more details about this? And, since it is a pilot, can you point me to an example of this actually being used on eBay right now?:

"And then the last thing I want to share, which I'm super excited about and we shared this today, doesn't even have a name. It's a new experience that we're trying to build of bringing content and commerce together. Which is really allowing our buyers to stay engaged on the platform. If you're into comic books, if you are into trading cards, if you're into baseball cards or if you're into clothing, if you're into camping. It is bringing interesting articles, content videos, that's off platform outside of eBay, allowing our buyers to read about it. But then showing items that they read about it in the article. How to have your first camping trip with your son. Great article. Here's 10 things you need. Here are all the items to buy on eBay. Now we're doing this as a small pilot in certain areas, but my ultimate goal is to give that to sellers so you as sellers can write about the areas that you guys are honestly the experts. We're not the experts. You are the experts. You can write about anything out there that you're passionate about, that you know more about. And you can actually say and here are the items that if you really like this you can buy to go learn something or you can put a recipe to go sell the goods that you're selling. That is where I think really the community comes together. The sellers are providing content that points to their items and buyers are coming to eBay because the content is fresh."

Thanks for listening to the podcast! What Mohan showcased on stage was a new category experience that is in the works for to the eBay mobile app. Say for example that you are into comics - you will be able to switch from today's classic view of eBay on your app to a comic focused eBay app, with a totally new look & feel. The comic feed will pull in content and articles, some from eBay staffers, some from outside eBay and it will showcase items that you may find interesting.  The new experience is not yet live, so there's nothing that I can point you to today. Keep an eye out on our announcements for more information on this feature

Contacting Customer Service

The Customer Service page that contains the call-in number with code also tiles photos of my recent orders, but when I click on the one I am calling in about, there is no item number with it. This is the first thing the customer service rep needs, so can changes be made to retain this when I click through to the contact page?

Great suggestion! We will get this passed on to the appropriate team slight_smile

Chargeback Protection

I’m opted into managed payments and received a chargeback with the reason ‘the transaction was ambiguous’. I lost the chargeback - why? I did everything right and still lost. What can I do to protect myself from this?

I can't speak to account specific activity, but I know that chargebacks are handled directly between the payment processor and the funding source/financial institution. Ultimately the decision on whether or not the money will be refunded lies with the financial institution.  

I'd recommend contacting our managed payments team directly by phone so they can review the transaction details and get you more insight.

I had a chargeback occur in PayPal and they fought for me and we won. I'm not hearing or reading where eBay’s managed payments team does anything similar - should I be concerned?

We actually do a lot to protect folks in managed payments when chargebacks arise. More info can be found here

Cross Promotion

Anyway, I was trying to look in seller hub for the link to opt out of cross promotion, but I think it has been removed. The reason I was looking for it is because I have heard several people report that when they buy something they also get an email from eBay showing them the same exact item at a lower  price. Has the option to opt out of cross promotion been removed? And are these emails related to cross promotion?

The similar items on eBay that are shown to buyers in the listings are not something that sellers can opt out of any longer. At the end of the day, we want to ensure buyers find the best match for them here on eBay, as buyers who cannot find what they are looking for may choose to go to another site and we risk losing their business in the future. Rest assured, your items will show up on other listings in the same way and as long as you are providing a great value for what you are selling, you will remain competitive.

The emails that are sent after a purchase would not be related to this kind of cross promotion - when a buyer purchases or looks at something, this is an opportunity for us to show them the variety of options available on eBay. While we understand that this may lead to a buyer wanting to purchase an alternative at times, overall this practice helps to build our brand and encourage those buyers to return to eBay in the future.

Thanks for the response! These particular sellers were talking about an increase in cancellations and thought it might be related. 

This has been the standard experience for some time now so I would encourage sellers to look into other possibilities and make improvements. There may have been a shift in the average sales price in their categories or some other shift in the market that they can investigate to determine necessary improvements.

Doesn’t eBay lose money if a buyer decides to cancel and purchase the same item at a lower price? 

While there may be some short term loss if a buyer cancels an order for an item at a higher price, and then purchases that same item at a lower price, this short term loss prevents a greater long term loss if the buyer chooses to go with another marketplace for future purchases. If we ensure the buyer is shown the variety of great deals available on eBay, they will not only more commonly choose eBay in the future, they will likely begin searching more thoroughly to find a great price before committing to buy. Cancellations for the situation you describe are more common for newer buyers who may still be learning how best to search for items on eBay.

At the end of the day, the practice of showing similar items or other options for something a customer has looked at or purchased is a standard practice in e-commerce. It creates trust in our marketplace, encourages repeat purchases, and ensures buyers are happy with their experience on eBay. Creating the best experience possible for our buyers leads to increased engagement with eBay, thus creating increased sales for our sellers. If a seller is regularly finding that buyers are cancelling orders because there is a better price on eBay, that seller should consider making changes to their business model to remain competitive potentially by lowering their prices or increasing the value of their listing by considering free returns, free shipping, or other discounts and promotions for their store.

Think of it this way: why would a seller put their items on sale if this means the items sell for less money? This is partially to generate more sales overall: first in the short term, then later in the long term through repeat buyers.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 53 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone - the chat is open for your replies!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Hi!!!

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 3 of 53
latest reply

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

Hi!!!

Hi @theshoppingmom2!!! 😄

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 53
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! grinning

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

Thanks for raising my selling limit to 200 million dollars!

Is it ever going to say the correct amount again?

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Hey we have another eBay Upfront coming up!!! in Chicago!!! I highly recommend attending one... it is FREE and there is so much information!!

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 7 of 53
latest reply

Hi, saw in the most recent update that regarding the new "service metrics", sellers will now be able to appeal the multitude of false INAD's that we receive. Can you confirm this?

Also, will "service metric" INAD's be automatically removed for top rate sellers who offer free returns, or will manual removal request be required?

Thanks

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

Its not a huge problem but something I've been noticing for several weeks when replying to buyers questions.
The page will not load all the way.  I've tried a chrome and firefox  - acts the same way.  It will not give me the Enter Text Here so that when you click your mouse on that text it disappears.
Like I said not a huge deal but annoyance factor is growing.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

A question or two as a result of this week's podcast:

Mohan said this about a pilot program ebay is running, which sounds a little like the guides ebay discontinued a while back. Can you get us some more details about this? And, since it is a pilot, can you point me to an example of this actually being used on ebay right now?:

"And then the last thing I want to share, which I'm super excited about and we shared this today, doesn't even have a name. It's a new experience that we're trying to build of bringing content and commerce together. Which is really allowing our buyers to stay engaged on the platform. If you're into comic books, if you are into trading cards, if you're into baseball cards or if you're into clothing, if you're into camping. It is bringing interesting articles, content videos, that's off platform outside of eBay, allowing our buyers to read about it. But then showing items that they read about it in the article. How to have your first camping trip with your son. Great article. Here's 10 things you need. Here are all the items to buy on eBay. Now we're doing this as a small pilot in certain areas, but my ultimate goal is to give that to sellers so you as sellers can write about the areas that you guys are honestly the experts. We're not the experts. You are the experts. You can write about anything out there that you're passionate about, that you know more about. And you can actually say and here are the items that if you really like this you can buy to go learn something or you can put a recipe to go sell the goods that you're selling. That is where I think really the community comes together. The sellers are providing content that points to their items and buyers are coming to eBay because the content is fresh."
Message 10 of 53
latest reply

I keep forgetting to mention this about the Ebay shipping supplies. 

A few times on the Chat over the past year or more I've suggested that the padded envelope that is about 9 x 11 1/2 was just slightly small to accept 8 1/2 x 11"  books and stuff of that size.  It was a design issue.  Plus the flap that you use to close the envelope, the glue didn't go completely from one side to the other.  So it kind of created wings of sort.  An area that the package could get caught on things it should.

Well the have finally redesigned this padded mailer.  The overall size is the same, but they changed the flap from two to one glue strip that the glue goes side to side [no more wings] and because they went to one glue strip they increase the inside of the envelope just enough to comfortably fit an 8 1/2 x 11" item.

I like it and I thank you for getting our suggestions over to the right teams.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 53
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlqsportscards wrote:

Hi @carlqsportscards, these are the correct limits that have been placed on your account. Many sellers have incredibly limits like what you are describing, so this would not be an error or issue in of itself. Can you elaborate for me on the issue you are seeing if I'm missing something?

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

@bargainbigly wrote:

Hi, saw in the most recent update that regarding the new "service metrics", sellers will now be able to appeal the multitude of false INAD's that we receive. Can you confirm this?

Also, will "service metric" INAD's be automatically removed for top rate sellers who offer free returns, or will manual removal request be required?

Thanks

I found this handy.

https://static.ebayinc.com/assets/Uploads/Documents/2019-eBay-Open-Seller-Protections.pdf?fbclid=IwA...

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

Hello, Tyler.

The Customer Service page that contains the call-in number with code also tiles photos of my recent orders, but when I click on the one I am calling in about, there is no item number with it, and the first thing the customer service rep needs is the item number. The item number needs to follow through onto that page.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@carlqsportscards wrote:

Hi @carlqsportscards, these are the correct limits that have been placed on your account. Many sellers have incredibly limits like what you are describing, so this would not be an error or issue in of itself. Can you elaborate for me on the issue you are seeing if I'm missing something?

I have never known what my selling limit is.  It doesn't display anywhere that I've ever found.  But I have called in to find out what my limit it.  I was told not to worry, it was so high there was no way it would ever present a problem for me.  That was good enough for me and I've never concerned myself with it again.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: