cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Aug 9th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us here for our weekly Community chat at 1 pm Pacific on Wednesday 8/9. There isn't a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your eBay buying & selling questions. 

Don't forget the eBay Guaranteed Delivery webinar that's happening at 11:00 AM on 8/9. 

Register here: http://ebay.yourbrandlive.com/c/ebay-guaranteed-delivery

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Community Chat, Aug 9th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

@roblinsgarage wrote:

Here are some of my issues with Seller Hub:

1) Sales are reported innacurately as it includes Shipping.  I don't sell shipping services; I sell auto parts.  I want to know how much I've sold.  Shipping is often equal to 50-150% of the item that is sold which grossly overstates sales.  SMP had it correct.  Now I have to use the Sales Reports to get accurate monthly sales data and / or manage it in Excel.  Atleast put a toggle so you can have sales with or without shipping.

2) Managing Orders.  SMP allowed you to filter on each month in the last 90 days not just number of days.  Once again, it makes it harder for me to manage changes in sales level month to month.

3) The comparative graphs of  "you" vs 'Market" for last 31 days and for year over year are so wrong, it's laughable.  I manage this in Excel with real data.  

4) The Seller Level section defaults to US.  Who cares about 1 country.  We all ship worldwide.  Global results should be front and center.

5) Promotions.  Less than 2% of my listings qualify?  

6)  Performance Selling Cost Graph omits all shipping labels and omits ebay stores subsciption cost so it is basicly useless as paypal fees , listing fees, & FVF fees are all small by comparison.

That's what I can think of quickly.

Thanks for sharing your insights, @roblinsgarage. I'll pass them on to our Seller Hub team for them to review. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 31 of 65
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@this4chris2012 wrote:

I do not use seller hub because I have learned that seller hub will not recognize an item that has been made mobile friendly when that item is relisted. So that’s why I don’t use seller hub.

eBay opted me into seller hub today. On my landing page there was no opt out link and the gray links that should be at the bottom of the page were missing. No way to go to resolution center, announcements, community, site map, etc.

I had to call eBay and a cs rep opted me out. Of course, she had no answer as to why I didn’t have an opt out option or why the gray links at the bottom of the page were missing.

Can you explain?

Happy to provide additional details! The opt-out option has been removed for some of our sellers recently. As we work towards enhancing Seller Hub as the definitive tool to run your business, we are consolidating options into one place. Sellers have asked for a selling tool that is easy to use and navigate and we created Seller Hub as the answer to this request. 

As for the missing links at the bottom of the page, can you share with me a screenshot of what you are seeing? These should be visible and I can get any issue that has arisen reported with more details!

Message 32 of 65
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigmotormania wrote:

@Anonymous

Thanks. Though as I have stated previously in these weekly chats I fail to understand the mentality behind taking away options for people to be able to use what they prefer in leiu of trying to force new things that they may or may not want onto them.

Millions of sellers, millions of different preferences, taking away two features to add one.

Just saying.

Definitely understand where you are coming from in regards to a loss of options - our plan is to ensure that Seller Hub provides the same functionality as TurboLister and we are working on making it the central stop for all the necessary functions of your business.

@Anonymous

Is Seller Hub a separate program that allows you to categorize everything the way you want it and then mass list it? 

If I recall correctly the answer to that questions is "No".

I'm talking about a listing tool. I can manage my sales and already posted listings in my seller hub, I'm talking about not having to go from webpage to webpage just to upload a single listing, when I can do that all within a single program, especially without having to pay for said program.

I'll take a peek at that list you gave me but if none of them are a separate program that allows me to mass create listings without having to actually visit a ton of websites then what you provided won't be the answer to my question.

Bigmotormania
Message 33 of 65
latest reply

I pay for Auctiva and I like that, it is reasonable. Now I am paying $9.95 I think per month. They used to have a cheaper one to with fewer features. I am loyal to them because when I quit eBay in 2011, I quit paying them and they did not charge me afterwords for any Months . When I logged back in and set it up to start selling again, they had saved ALL my pictures and premade listings. I was so happy! Good Company that would keep My stuff on their server! Sugar

Message 34 of 65
latest reply

Thank-You.

I know I'm not alone on some these points.  They are discussed at great length in some of the FB groups.

Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage - Demorestville / Toronto, Canada
Message 35 of 65
latest reply

tyler,
OK, so the HTTPS compliance issue is the same thing as mobile/active content compliant?
Message 36 of 65
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

tyler, you said

"Because of these changes, we ask members to update their item description and gallery image links to be HTTPS compliant. If these are not compliant in the future, US registered sellers may find that their listings contain the "See full item description" button."

What exactly would I have to do to make my description or gallery compliant?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques Great question!

To see if your listings are compliant visit http://www.i-ways.net/mobile-friendly/en-us/ to check for mobile friendliness. You can also check this on the eBay site directly by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test.

If you would like more information on replacing active content that you find is not compliant, visit: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html and http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/mobilefriendlyguidelines.html for additional details. Thanks!

Which brings us to the question of why isn't the classic site link working from a smartphone? The mobile site is lousy - and I have full Chrome on my phone. Why can't I switch to the classic site, and if anyone ever fixes the link, will it stick forever?

In fact, when looking at one of my listings on the mobile site, there is only an arrow to press to actually see the full description  - it doesn't even tell you that there is more to the description on the page.

I should also note that based on what I've been told, with TL you can import and export listings to keep on file and record that won't be deleted after 90 days, so if I come across a part I sold in the past and want to list it I don't have to completely redo the process except for taking new photos.

Bigmotormania
Message 38 of 65
latest reply

Why don't you fix the program BEFORE force sellers to use it
Message 39 of 65
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

tyler, you said

"Because of these changes, we ask members to update their item description and gallery image links to be HTTPS compliant. If these are not compliant in the future, US registered sellers may find that their listings contain the "See full item description" button."

To see if your listings are compliant visit http://www.i-ways.net/mobile-friendly/en-us/ to check for mobile friendliness. You can also check this on the eBay site directly by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test.

If you would like more information on replacing active content that you find is not compliant, visit: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html and http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/mobilefriendlyguidelines.html for additional details. Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong Trinton, but there is also a newer link in the listing form just to the right, above where the description appears if you go into one of your listings to revise it.

It says:  New! Mobile-Friendly Checker

If you click on that you come to a screen that has 3 tabs at the top.

1. Mobile View
  2. Active Content
  3. Non-compliant Links

It defaults Mobile View as it is the first tab.  It then may state you are OK or it may state “Your Listing Isn’t Quite Mobile-Friendly”.  If your listing isn’t mobile ready there are 2 sections that will show up. 

Image Exceeds Screen Width

Images should fit the maximum width of the screen to prevent horizontal scrolling.  

Then you can click on “Fix It For Me” if you want this fixed.

And / Or

Viewport meta tag incorrectly or missing. 

This tag should be included in the header for the font size in your item description to be legible on a mobile device.  

Then you can click on “Fix It For Me” if you want this fixed.

Once you click on the Fix it link, the Image exceeds screen width changes to a green check mark w/ the words No Horizontal Scrolling. 

If you fix the “viewport meta tag…”  It changes to a green check mark w/ Viewport Meta tag correctly set.

But unfortunately for me it SOMETIMES, when I update both options for mobile readiness, it affects the Horizontal scrolling.  It changes back to a red exclamation point, I lose the green check mark.  The pic of the phone that is on the screen also changes back to my description not fitting on the phone screen without scrolling to the right.  You’d have to scroll to see the entire description.  This is happening on a good portion of the listings I update.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 40 of 65
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Why are there still listings with the "See full item description" showing up when using a laptop or PC? 

Obviously, if I clicked on it, I want to read the description. Why would I want to(and why should I have to) click on yet another link and have just the description(and nothing else) show up on another page?

This debacle is going to cause a lot of unhappy buyers - I know I won't be clicking yet again to see what I should be seeing when I go into the listing. I'll just google it and see if another site has it.

Unfortunately, I only buy antiques and such on here, so I have to hope that the same thing is listed on multiple sites.

Hey @d-k_treasures - This is still a test looking at possible solutions for a change that Google is planning later this year. 

Beginning later this year, Google is transitioning to a new security expectation in Google Chrome that will flag certain HTTP sites as "Not secure".  Rather than have buyers be shown a "Not secure" notification while shopping we are moving towards HTTPS as our default on eBay.

Because of these changes, we ask members to update their item description and gallery image links to be HTTPS compliant. If these are not compliant in the future, US registered sellers may find that their listings contain the "See full item description" button.

At this point, we are simply running a test to gather information about this impact and explore a possible solution to the HTTP/HTTPS changes. This way we can remain in compliance with Google's expectations, increase our site security and improve the overall experience for eBay customers.

I hope that helps clear things up, and I trust that in the future you'll be able to find the antiques you're looking for on the site!

Thanks for the extended reasoning, but why only US sellers? I'll bet we never see a chinese listing with that link in there.

Howdy @d-k_treasures - If the listing is from a seller registered in the rest of the world who has not complied with the HTTPS requirement, a buyer will see a security message if the View Item Page is one that has text data. Also, they'll see the security message if they're using the Google Incognito feature.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 65
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d-k_treasures wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

tyler, you said

Which brings us to the question of why isn't the classic site link working from a smartphone? The mobile site is lousy - and I have full Chrome on my phone. Why can't I switch to the classic site, and if anyone ever fixes the link, will it stick forever?

Hi @d-k_treasures - We received these reports and have worked closely with our mobile team to review the issue. They're working on a fix now and you should be able to use the Classic Site without an issue in the near future. We certainly don't ever want these issues to come up but they do occasionally and we work as quickly as we can to have them resolved.

Message 42 of 65
latest reply

@roblinsgarage wrote:

Thank-You.

I know I'm not alone on some these points.  They are discussed at great length in some of the FB groups.

Thanks, @roblinsgarage

My advice is to share insights with us here on the Community platform rather than FB Groups as we have a wonderful eBay team here monitoring conversations. 

Message 43 of 65
latest reply

tyler,
OK, so the HTTPS compliance issue is the same thing as mobile/active content compliant?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - essentially (as far as it impacts eBay listings). It's part of a larger effort that Google is making to make their browser more secure for anyone browsing, so it impacts other websites differently, but from the scope of eBay, that's what we're looking for with your listings. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 44 of 65
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:
Why don't you fix the program BEFORE force sellers to use it

Which program would that be? 

@tsme35

Message 45 of 65
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: