cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, April 24 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody!

Join us here at 1 PM PT on Wednesday, April 24 for the Weekly Community Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic this week, so feel free to share your general buying and selling questions. You can review last week's chat recap here.

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Below you will find a recap of our Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team for April 24, 2019. We hope to see you at our next chat!

Share to Social Media Promotion

I’ve heard about a feature where you can share a unique link to social media and if a buyer uses the link to purchase the item no Final Value Fees are charged. What eBay feature is this?

This is a promotion that some sellers are presented with when listing, relisting, or revising their items. If a buyer users the seller’s unique link to purchase the item, no final value fees are charged for the listing.

Returns

Why can the return reason a buyer has been selected be changed from remorse to not as described, but can’t be changed from not as described to remorse?

We want to start out by clarifying that the reason selected when a return is requested cannot be changed. If eBay is asked to step in we take action on the return request based on the information we have available. If there is any indication that the item the buyer received does not match the listing description, either in the return reason or in follow up messages, we would expect the seller to cover the cost of the return and provide a full refund.

What about if the buyer’s messages clearly show remorse when they chose a not as described return reason?

Interpreting messages to invalidate the buyer’s assertion that the item did not match the description is incredibly inaccurate. When the buyer selects a not as described return reason, they are stating the item does not match the description.

What if there is proof that the buyer chose the wrong reason and is abusing the returns program?

If there is very clear evidence that a member is abusing the returns process (such as a message that states, “The item is fine, I just don’t want to pay return shipping”), we will take action to protect a seller. A buyer is also able to contact eBay to let us know they chose the wrong return reason. We proactively review for signs of abuse and take steps to protect sellers when we find abusive behavior.

Why does eBay believe the buyer and not me?

The buyer is in possession of the item when they request a return and is the authority on the item’s current condition. Because of this, we do expect a seller to resolve these types of customer concerns by covering the cost of return shipping and providing a full refund.

I still don’t understand why the buyer can select a not as described reason incorrectly and eBay won’t fix this for me, but if the buyer selects a remorse reason incorrectly eBay will fix it for them?

Definitely want to reiterate that the reason selected when a return is opened cannot be changed. If eBay is asked to step in, we will review the return details for appropriate action. The return reason is one place where the buyer can indicate the item does not match the description, but this can also be communicated in messaging. For example, if the buyer opens a return request with the reason “Doesn’t fit” (typically a remorse reason), but states in messaging “I ordered a large and this is a small”, the seller should address the buyer’s concern that the item does not match the description. If a seller does not authorize a return in this situation, with return shipping costs covered and a full refund offered, eBay will step in and authorize this on their behalf.

We simply ask that a seller work to resolve their customer’s concern and focus on creating great customer service experiences. Since buyers and sellers have different roles in a transaction, they will also have different protections and expectations within the resolution process. Part of the seller’s responsibility is to resolve customer complaints to the best of their ability.

Can you please explain  to me how a buyer is able to open a SNAD case when  the listing says "for parts or not working - sold as is, NO Returns"

“For parts or not working” is not a catch all that absolves sellers of responsibility for accurately describing the item. There are times when an item listed as “For parts or not working” isn't properly described and a buyer needs to return it. For example, if a cellphone is listed for parts and the seller only states the screen doesn't work and the buyer discovers the phone also has water damage, this would be a valid SNAD since the water damage wasn't disclosed in the listing.

Item Condition For Handmade Goods

Can a seller use the condition of an item as NEW when it is a handmade item with some or all of the materials used to make the item are recycled materials?

If the seller is creating a new item out of the recycled/repurposed components, it would still be considered new. This is similar to how a table made from recycled plastic water bottles would still be considered a new table.

Buyer Requirements

If a buyer is blocked by my buyer requirements settings (such as the one that blocks buyers with a certain number of UPI strikes), are they also blocked from making offers?

Yes. These blocks would prevent the buyer from making offers. Additionally, if you are proactively sending offers to your watchers, any watcher that is blocked from purchasing would not be eligible for the offer and would not receive it.

Bulk End Items

I notice that the ability to select all the items ending today and end them in bulk is no longer available. I can select them individually and delete them, but until recently I was able to end them in bulk. Did something change?

In Seller Hub you can sort your Active listings by End Date. This will sort Good ‘Til Cancelled listings so the items renewing the soonest will be at the top of the list. From here, you can select the items you'd like to end, select the Action button, and end them in bulk. Additionally, there is a sort option in Seller Hub to only show items ending today, which would also make it easy to end these items in bulk. If you do not have Seller Hub then you can get it here.

Weekly Chat

Where can I find the weekly chat?

The weekly chat can be found here. We also post reminders with a link to the chat on the Selling board each week.

How do I post a question to the chat?

Just use the Reply button to post a question and we'll be happy to respond!

What is the purpose of selecting a solution to the Chat?

The option to select a response in the chat as a solution is only available in the Weekly Chats for the purposes of marking these recaps as the solution. This ensures future readers can quickly see the questions and answers from that week, as marking the recap as a solution moves a copy of the post to the beginning of the discussion.

Send Offers To Watchers

a)  When will this feature be universally available?

b)  What determines which listings are eligible to send these offers?

c)  We need to know to whom we are making an offer. Will this be added?

A) This rollout that will occur for everyone over the coming months. Most US sellers should already have the option.

B) In order to send offers the item must be listed for at least 5 days. Historically they could only be for single quantity listings, but we've expanded this recently to include multi-quantity listings.

C) The offer can be sent to the 10 most recent watchers on the item. Currently, watchers are anonymous to protect their privacy. At this time, you cannot choose which watchers get the offer, though there are plans to expand that in the future.

Keyword Search Concerns

If I search for Trifari Jewels of India (vintage designer costume jewelry items by manufacturer and collection name) I now find vintage jewelry items, current jewelry items, unrelated items -- neither jewelry nor wearable items, etc. Is eBay going to refine the key word search to improve accuracy?

When we tested this out we did not experience the same issue. Search results can be affected by the filters applied and a variety of account specific factors. If you are not finding what you are looking for after your first search, try changing the keywords or utilizing some of the refinements available on the left side of the screen.

Best Match Placement

I am a small niche seller who, if using fixed price listings, find my items buried behind numerous other related and unrelated items. Why am I not showing up higher in search results?

We recommend you check out our Help page on Optimizing your listings for Best Match. We’ve recently made changes to improve seller’s visibility and traffic by reducing the fixed price listing duration options and only allowing for Good ‘Til Cancelled listings. We believe this will maximize the chance of successful sales as listings with a longer duration will appear more frequently in both third party search results and eBay search.

Item Not Received

Seller performance metrics now show as "high" for INR stats as the INR for an item that was delivered now counts against the seller in direct conflict with the message sent by eBay when an item not received request is closed in their favor. What is going on?

The language used in the email we send when closing an Item Not Received Request in the seller’s favor is specifically referring to account defects or case closed without resolution marks, which are directly tied to your Seller Performance rating. This would not include Service Metrics, which are tracked differently as Service Metrics don't impact your Seller Performance Rating and is considered an independent metric.

The Item Not Received service metrics looks at all opened not received requests (regardless of outcome), with two exceptions:

If the item was sent with the Global Shipping Program

If you ship your item within your stated handling time, but it arrives late due to carrier disruptions, site bugs, natural disasters or severe weather, this will not negatively affect your seller metrics.

You can review more details about Service Metrics here. We will pass along your feedback for any necessary improvements to our communications.

UPI Option After Buyer Is Refunded

Sellers Hub now shows a purchase is eligible to have a UPI opened against the buyer after I’ve refunded. What is going on?

We will pass this feedback along for potential improvements in the future to how this is displayed. For now, though, you should be able to archive or delete the transaction so it will get out of your daily reminders.

Free Returns Protections

Does a seller who offers Free Returns have added protections with respect to neutral/negative feedback?

A seller who offers free returns and has issued a partial refund in accordance with eBay guidance will be protected from negative or neutral feedback. This is outlined in our 2018 Spring Seller Update in the FAQs related to the protections available for sellers who offer free returns (found here).

Seller Hub & My eBay All Selling Page

Can I have access to both Seller Hub and the My eBay All Selling Page at the same time?

Yes, you can have Seller Hub and still access the My eBay All Selling page. Go to the overview tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and then click on View My eBay Selling. Alternatively, you can go to My eBay > Summary > Hover over the Activity tab > Select Sell from the drop down that appears. You can also use this link.

Store Subscription Fee

My store subscription was due to expire and I cancelled it yet was charged for it again at the yearly rate which is what I had previously.  Why?

Ending your store subscription is a little different than ending a listing. Because you pay for the services a month in advance, a cancellation will always take effect the 1st of the next calendar month after you cancel. That means if you put through the cancellation in April it would take effect May 1st. If you put through the cancellation in March to take place in April and it hasn't yet cancelled please let us know!

Managed Payments

Is there anyone at eBay that can get me into managed payments?

We can't make any guarantees about when members will be added, but as we move forward more sellers will be invited to participate in managed payments.

Open Box Condition

Some of my listings now have the item condition of “Open Box”. When did this change?

This change was announced in the Fall Seller Update. Anything in the categories outlined in our announcement that had the condition of New Other was changed to Open Box. This helps standardize our condition terminology and better align with buyer expectations. Thanks!

Transaction Report

Why do some of my transactions not appear on the Transaction Report I’ve downloaded?

We are looking into this to see what might be going on.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 84 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Welcome to the chat! It's now open for questions Smiley Happy

Brian,
Community Team
Message 2 of 84
latest reply

n this week's eBay for Business podcast, a guest said: When I post a few items on my story or on my timeline on Instagram, I get to share with my followers what I purchased. And there's been a lot of times where people want to buy the items straight out of my Instagram. For shipping purposes and just protection there's been a lot of times where I sent them my link to the listed item on my eBay store and they're able to purchase from there too. And now eBay has this feature where you can share your direct link and you don't have to pay the listing fee.

Can you explain what she means in that last sentence---what ebay feature is she talking about?
Message 3 of 84
latest reply

Buyer wants to return item because of fit, auto accepted, free label sent. Buyer informs me that they cant print label. I have them contact cs. Cs closes return and starts a case for not as described. Freaked out i call cs they tell me not to worry and place case on hold. I come on here and explain and you tell me not to worry.

Yesterday case is closed in favor of buyer refund issued to buyer through my funds. Call cs again explain the situation. They agree something went wrong. Case is changed in my favor and im told dont worry you dont owe them anymore we will pay for the item. Next day im still out the money and the item. Buyer gets free item a refund from me and a refund from ebay.

Not only does buyer get to keep an item that doesnt fit she gets a refund from me and from ebay (she doubled her money because she cant print a label). Im out money and item and im still not convinced this will not affect my seller metrics.

This was a simple return that was auto accepted now im sitting here with rotten egg on my face. Ive done everything you asked from free returns to auto accepted returns and this is how it ended

buyer made money and gets a free item. Im left in the cold no money no item and a possible metric hit all because im trying to comply with what you say works

cs reps were polite, understood the language and were easy to understand im glad you fixed those problems

this situation may be rare but those should be the easiest to fix. Its very frustrating to do everything your told to do and still come out on the short end

Message 4 of 84
latest reply

Hey Guys!!!!

how is everyone?!

ok I got a question I think it will be for Trinton because I seen him answered this before but I cant find it now 

Can you please explain  to me how a buyer is able to open a SNAD case when  the listing says "for parts only  sold as is ,NO Returns"

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 5 of 84
latest reply

@forgottenape wrote:

Buyer wants to return item because of fit, auto accepted, free label sent. Buyer informs me that they cant print label. I have them contact cs. Cs closes return and starts a case for not as described. Freaked out i call cs they tell me not to worry and place case on hold. I come on here and explain and you tell me not to worry.

Yesterday case is closed in favor of buyer refund issued to buyer through my funds. Call cs again explain the situation. They agree something went wrong. Case is changed in my favor and im told dont worry you dont owe them anymore we will pay for the item. Next day im still out the money and the item. Buyer gets free item a refund from me and a refund from ebay.

Not only does buyer get to keep an item that doesnt fit she gets a refund from me and from ebay (she doubled her money because she cant print a label). Im out money and item and im still not convinced this will not affect my seller metrics.

This was a simple return that was auto accepted now im sitting here with rotten egg on my face. Ive done everything you asked from free returns to auto accepted returns and this is how it ended

buyer made money and gets a free item. Im left in the cold no money no item and a possible metric hit all because im trying to comply with what you say works

cs reps were polite, understood the language and were easy to understand im glad you fixed those problems

this situation may be rare but those should be the easiest to fix. Its very frustrating to do everything your told to do and still come out on the short end

Hi @forgottenape - I'm happy to have a look to see what may have happened and what can be done. I'll reach out to you for more information privately. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 84
latest reply

Also, who is coming to Open 2019?

Look what I am giving up to be at Open... so you know  Open 2019 is going to be great!!!!1true.jpg

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 7 of 84
latest reply

Another member started a thread with a question I find quite interesting.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/What-is-the-Correct-Condition-To-Use-On-My-Listings/m-p/297499...

Can a seller use the condition of an item as NEW when it is a handmade item with some or all of the materials to make the creation are recycled materials?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 84
latest reply

I'm curious as to whether buyer requirement settings, that block buyers with unpaid item strikes from bidding or buying from me, also block them from making offers?

Message 9 of 84
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
n this week's eBay for Business podcast, a guest said: When I post a few items on my story or on my timeline on Instagram, I get to share with my followers what I purchased. And there's been a lot of times where people want to buy the items straight out of my Instagram. For shipping purposes and just protection there's been a lot of times where I sent them my link to the listed item on my eBay store and they're able to purchase from there too. And now eBay has this feature where you can share your direct link and you don't have to pay the listing fee.

Can you explain what she means in that last sentence---what ebay feature is she talking about?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, happy to elaborate! When some sellers list there items (typically new or occasional sellers) there is a current promotion where they are encouraged to share the item to social media. A specific link is provided for this purpose and, if a buyer users this link to purchase the item no final value fees are charged for the listing. If you are eligible for this promotion the link will popup anytime you list, revise, or relist your items.

Message 10 of 84
latest reply

@forgottenape wrote:

Very interesting.  I've been told since the Service Metrics started that a CSR can't change a SNAD to a BR claim.  But from this posting it appears they can change a BR to a SNAD??!??  What?  Why?  OH NO!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 84
latest reply

I put this question up this morning on the selling board and have some great responses.  Now I would like to pose the question to you...

I am an artisan crafter.  I make and sell ornaments using recycled aluminum beverage cans.  The ornaments themselves have never been used, however, the ornaments are made with recycled cans which are used.  Small scratches and dents on the cans do show on the completed ornaments.  What is the correct condition to use on my listings?

Message 12 of 84
latest reply

I notice that the ability to select all the items ending today, and then end them as a group, is is no longer available.

Because of a "sale" I was able to post 100 extra freebies last night.

I will want to end most of them 30 days hence, to avoid $35 in listing fees.

I can select them manually and delete them, but until March 18th, I could just select all the items ending today and use bulk edit to end them.

I would like that capability back!

Message 13 of 84
latest reply

I have a strange one for you today.

Every day I download a report of my account transactions - I use the FVF transactions to verify that I have recorded all items sold in my personal inventory control.

For the past few weeks, not all of the transactions appear in the downloaded report. At first I thought they were missing from the account activity, but then I realized that the sum of the downloaded items does not agree with the amount charged to my account.

I know this is hard to picture, but can you send my problem to the folks who would be able to figure out why, after downloading the daily activity every day for 10 years, some of the transactions refuse to appear on the download?

thanks!

Sue

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 14 of 84
latest reply

Totally agree that the auto acceptance of returns by eBay is causing problems. This work in progress needs updated as it causes more problems than solutions.
Message 15 of 84
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: