cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new mobile friendly checker-any way to do in bulk

When revising a listing I see New!Mobile-friendly checker as a click on link.

It opens a mobile preview window.

In that window you can see

•  
  • Your listing isn’t quite mobile-friendly. Let’s fix it!
    • Image exceeds screen width

Images should fit the maximum width of the screen to prevent horizontal scrolling.  See more

Fix it for me
    • Viewport meta tag incorrect or missing

This tag should be included in the header for the font size in your item description to be legible on a mobile device.  See more

Fix it for me
    • No horizontal scrolling

For each change you must click on the fix it for me link.

Is there any way that these changes can be done in bulk

Also on about 50% of the items I have clicked on the new Mobile friendly checker I received this messsage

Mobile preview

Something went wrong. Please try again.

So can these be done in bulk and can we find  out more about the error message

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

No way to do it in bulk, as what has to be fixed can vary in each listing.........according to an ebay employee post.....

there have been alot of posts on tool failure, and also some that, after relisting, the changes don't hold.........  no info from Ebay about either of those problems.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

The tool does not work at all I spent about an hour updating all of my listings only to find out that it did not function properly then I went to Mike's cell phone and checked my listings before I edited a listing and it was fine.

So this new tool made me spend an hour updating my listings when there was nothing wrong .

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I found a video that shows how to bulk edit and insert the correct code. However this only works if all your listings have the same problem. 

https://www.scavengerlife.com/2016/08/are-your-ebay-listings-mobile-friendly.html

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

You have to be sure that you scroll down in the Mobile Friendly Checker box and choose SAVE. Then scroll down to the bottom of your listing and choose UPDATE. Otherwise all your changes will not be saved. Believe me. I learned the hard way.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Me too, such a waste of time. The save button should be at the top. It seems to me that ebay is making sellers do a lot of extra work these days. I am a part time seller with a fulltime job elsewhere and just about had it with ebay causing me to spend enormous amounts of time on changing my listings due to their updating.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

THANK YOU this has been amazingly helpful and time saving

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I had the same problem, on over 200 items. Today I got a hold of a ebay customer service person that had a brain. Now when I update or list a new item the save is all on the page and no more scrolling down. I still had to update the 200 items. Just ask them to update your store site. Ebay is always changing things and NOT tell sellers to ask for update.

The last problem I have is I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE GOTTEN THEM ALL???

EBAY IS SO SLOW AT HELPING SELLERS & FIXING THEIR SITE. ALL OF THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE ASKING US TO DO THE WORK FOR THEM.
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

I had the same problem, on over 200 items. Today I got a hold of a ebay customer service person that had a brain. Now when I update or list a new item the save is all on the page and no more scrolling down.  I still had to update the 200 items.  Just ask them to update your store site. Ebay is always changing things and NOT tell sellers to ask for update.

The last problem I have is I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE GOTTEN THEM ALL???

EBAY IS SO SLOW AT HELPING SELLERS & FIXING THEIR SITE.  ALL OF THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE ASKING US TO DO THE WORK FOR THEM.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I have only 2200 more to update. If I do nothing but update my existing listings, that's about 50 hours nonstop. Not happy with eBay.
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@tradation

Take a look at this link - http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/

There is a tool there to find items that are not mobile friendly - http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/MobileSizeChecker.htm

That tool does not repair.

In many cases, your listing just needs the correct HTML code, inserted into your description, to be mobile friendly.

An example of the code needed...

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<style>img{max-width:100%;height:auto;}</style>
<div style="max-width:700px; margin:auto; font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:16px;">
...optional header...
<div vocab="https://schema.org/" typeof="Product">
<span property="description">
...mobile summary without HTML...This would be the text you wish mobile users to see...
</span></div>
...remaining content...This would be your normal description text...
</div> 

2200 listings? You may need to post your issue on the Active Content discussion board. The author of the above tools may be able to help you define a custom filter for their active content editor, that will do what you need.

Be patient, that member may be experiencing some web connection issues. They will reply to you post as soon as possible.

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Thank you  @dollybeauty  for preparing the way.  Yes, my connection has been a bit spotty today.

@tradation

The mobile viewport Meta tag (that eBay's "fixit" will add ) does not make a description mobile-friendly. It simply tells the browser that you have already made the necessary adjustments to the code. So that is why using eBay's "fix it for me" tool does not always fix problems. The underlying problems must be examined and repaired independently, particularly if a description includes tables or complex HTML.  However, if the underlying code is simple text, then the "fix it for me" code will work just fine because there is nothing for you to fix.

I looked at a few of your listings and did not see anything that required conversion to be mobile friendly. Perhaps I didn't look far enough.

However, I did pick a few that still have Active Content issues.

Here is an example that I loaded into the Sandbox tool where I selected a few widget removals for sellathon and webstore (as can be viewed in the colored "Markup" tab on the tool):

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentSandbox.htm?itm=172370518814&act=true&lnk=true&eby=tru...

Blue was added (mobile tags) and all the other colors are to be removed.

If all of your listings are somewhat like this one, it would be relatively easy to bulk revise them all through File Exchange to remove the Active Content and non-compliant links, and to add the mobile friendly headers.  The same checkmarked filters on the Sandbox tool can be selected on the Bulk Active Content Editor tool.

If you need assistance, please post on the Active Content forum and I will be happy to walk you through the process.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Replacing-Active-Content/bd-p/activecontent

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

I truly appreciate you looking into this and helping me find answers.  Most of this active content was caused by subscribing to Auctiva.  Others issues caused by another application offered by eBay and then turned off leaving website HTML in place.  I am not HTML savvy, but have been finding and removing that code manually, too.

Again, thanks for your help.

Dave

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@tradation

There is no reason to manually edit 2000 listings when you can clean them up entirely within an hour or two using the Bulk Active Content Editor and eBay's File Exchange.  The editor will bulk scan all of your listings, apply the revision filters, and generate a CSV revision file for uploading to File Exchange. After uploading, File Exchange will revise each of your listings with the new descriptions.  I'm happy to help with this process over on the Active Content forum:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Replacing-Active-Content/bd-p/activecontent

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

I got an email yesterday from eBay with an attached video explaining how to do these changes using find and replace in bulk.  ALL my listing are now updated.  Hopefully, I am back in business.

Dave

Message 15 of 35
latest reply