cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay motors - 'edit or add' compatibility list not working

Tried to go into and edit/add vehicle compatibility to add new model years, etc. and as soon as I click on 'add or edit list' it goes into endless loading mode.

Anybody else with this problem? Are there any workarounds?

-Rich

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: ebay motors - 'edit or add' compatibility list not working

Yep. Totally failing in both Firefox 31 and Firefox 52) on a motors listing I have that already had a compatible vehicle entered.

Shows the spinning circle of death (but not spinning in FF31) and no info, and the edit and other buttons result in a dead white popup.

If I spoof the browser user agent as and iPad (iPad Safari 6.0) it works fine. Using a user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML,like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A5355d Safari/8536.25

Loaded up the listing form normally with normal default user agent, saw the broken compatibility, switched to iPad user agent, reloaded page, and it's all working. Looks like one can even switch the user agent to iPad, load up Seller Hub (it appears to ignore the user agent and works normally), edit motors listing from there, and then switch back when doen.

I use an old addon called Useragent Switcher in my Firefox browsers that makes switching user agents trivial via a pulldown menu on the browser toolbar.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Can-t-Send-Invoice-spinning-load-wheel-screen-flashes...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/I-cannot-respond-to-a-buyers-best-offer-I-think-it-s-...

How you would implement that in whatever browser you are using I couldn't say. There are addons, can be done manually in Firefox at least by editing/enabling an about:config internal setting, etc. No idea about Chrome, or others

All I can say is that spoofing the user agent as an iPad is a workaround (or maybe actually using an iPad too?)  tyler@ebay 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Yep. Totally failing in both Firefox 31 and Firefox 52) on a motors listing I have that already had a compatible vehicle entered.

Shows the spinning circle of death (but not spinning in FF31) and no info, and the edit and other buttons result in a dead white popup.

If I spoof the browser user agent as and iPad (iPad Safari 6.0) it works fine. Using a user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML,like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A5355d Safari/8536.25

Loaded up the listing form normally with normal default user agent, saw the broken compatibility, switched to iPad user agent, reloaded page, and it's all working. Looks like one can even switch the user agent to iPad, load up Seller Hub (it appears to ignore the user agent and works normally), edit motors listing from there, and then switch back when doen.

I use an old addon called Useragent Switcher in my Firefox browsers that makes switching user agents trivial via a pulldown menu on the browser toolbar.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Can-t-Send-Invoice-spinning-load-wheel-screen-flashes...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/I-cannot-respond-to-a-buyers-best-offer-I-think-it-s-...

How you would implement that in whatever browser you are using I couldn't say. There are addons, can be done manually in Firefox at least by editing/enabling an about:config internal setting, etc. No idea about Chrome, or others

All I can say is that spoofing the user agent as an iPad is a workaround (or maybe actually using an iPad too?)  tyler@ebay 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Spoofing IE 7 and IE 9 user agents in FF31 also worked. The IE11 UA I used, along with Opera 36 and Chrome 49 failed.

What this indicated is that trying other actual browsers like Internet Explorer MIGHT work, but may depend on IE version. Trying Chrome, Edge, Safari, Opera etc might be worthwhile.

If non of those work then spoofing the user agent as iPad, IE7, or IE9 as previously explained should work.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks berserkerplanet,

I'm using FireFox and changed the useragent config file to that of IE9 and it worked!

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)

Tried ipad first but it wouldn't let me save the selections (the button never showed up once I went to edit them).

Probably going to look at an addon that will do this more easily as you had described.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Glad it worked in general, and even more thrilled you tried the workaround grin

If you are using the latest greatest Firefox Quantum version where old XPI addons no longer work and developers have not bothered to rewrite as web-extensions and no new ones are available, you could try downloading and running a current or older Firefox portable version, configure it with an IE9 user agent (or if an older version like 52.7.3 ESR use an addon like Useragent Switcher or UAControl maybe), and use that browser when you need to do eBay Motors compatibility work.

Portable versions can be run side by side with other portable and regular versions with a minor tweak (I have 6 running as I type this)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/My-feedback-page-shows-up-blank/m-p/29181998/highligh...

Firefox 31 is the oldest FF version I've tried that works with eBay Motors compatibility stuff (with the UA spoofed as IE9), but FF52.7.3 ESR is a better choice if going oldschool for max compatibility. I run WinXP so FF52 i the last FF version I can run. Those on Win7 and up can use the non-quantum versions up through 56 I believe.

If needed, I can help with getting an older Firefox XPI addon to maybe work in a newer non-quantum Firefox version. Many ancient addons that were not maintained and have no replacements work even in Firefox 52 (not all will depending on what they do and what Firefox functionality they leverage, but I'm running addons 10+ years old in FF52). All it takes is editing one line (the maxVersion entry) in the XPI install.rdf file using Winzip or 7-zip (XPIs are just archives) to fool Firefox into installing it - if it doesn't work as intended you just uninstall it and try something else. Sometimes newer older addons need to be stripped of signing to work in older FF versions and that's also trivial by just deleting the meta-inf folder in the XPI.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm still having this problem, extremely frequently, where vehicle compatibility doesn't come up on Chrome at all. No options, only the words . I have also tried Edge, same story. I cannot use Mozilla as I have to use an old version due to zebra printer software for Amazon.

I have contacted ebay several times and was told they are working on it. That was 2-3 months ago! This is costing sellers big $$$. Please fix the issues surrounding this so we can all go back to making money.  See screenshot below.Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@hurrypart 

I cannot use Mozilla as I have to use an old version due to zebra printer software for Amazon.

If you want to install a later version of Firefox and still maintain your old version for printer compatibility reasons, you might look into one of the alternative versions of Firefox such as the Firefox Developer Edition, or Firefox Nightly. Either of those will coexist side-by-side with your old version.

The only reason I found out about the alternative versions was that Firefox had an issue back in May which caused all Firefox add-ons to stop working -- one of the workarounds was to install an alternative version of Firefox which did not suffer from the same issue.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks I’ll try that!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Sadly this didn't work for me. I've been having this problem for over a year. It seems to work more often in Chrome, just annoying I have to swtich out of firefox all the time to edite the vehicle compatibility list, why can't ebay just fix their website -_-. I've had support confirm it's a user interface bug, typical thing, they say they will work on a fix etc but never gets fixed.  Using latest firefox & chrome. Listing created with a sell similar so vehicles pre-populated from that, but I need to change the years.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply