cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay search keeps auto correcting to incorrect word spellings or changing words.

getting very frustrated with the eBay search the last couple days. For no reason it keeps changing all my searches - even saved ones - to different spellings.

A couple examples (maybe it's just spellings with an "o")

Ja Morant gets changed to Ja Marant 

Holo Heros gets changed to Halo Heroes 

Fractor changed to raptor

Logo to Lego 

Please correct this

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: eBay search keeps auto correcting to incorrect word spellings or changing words.

Hello Just wanted to inform that as of today 4/4/2023 the autocorrect issue is still occurring

When i search Form Tundra 2007 Reflector it will force me to use Ford Tundra 2007 Reflector when i search for sold items or sort by highest. It's very difficult to price items and do research when item from other countries have similar names and or different spellings.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: eBay search keeps auto correcting to incorrect word spellings or changing words.

If I type "15-18 EDGE Grille Upper Cover Mounted SEL" in eBay's search, it brings up 13 results.  But then if I try to narrow down the results by clicking new or used, eBay changes the submodel "SEL" to the word "seal" which then brings up 0 results.  How is this helpful for anyone?  Not only can the buyer not find what they're looking for, but it is much more difficult for me to price items accordingly when I have to sift through new and used parts to figure out which ones I'm competing against.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Obviously the search has problems with certain keywords, and the behavior you describe is not intentional. While some substitutions are meant to occur, there is likely some unintended interaction between various "smart" features that causes unintended keyword changes when applying filters or changing between search results pages.

Correcting keyword spelling mistakes or suggesting more popular keywords over less popular ones can make a certain amount of sense, even if that does lead to some unwanted changes from time to time, but wholesale changing keywords as users navigate between pages or apply filters -- particularly when the changes happen silently with no obvious way to undo those changes -- makes absolutely no sense, and indicates something is broken.

Use the feedback link located on the lower right of the search results page when using a desktop browser to reach a form where you can describe search issues and have the info shared with page developers. The more examples of unintended search correction behavior or other errors, the more likely the developers will make it a priority to address the issue.

In the mean time, as a workaround, try this:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=15-18+EDGE+Grille+Upper+Cover+Mounted+%22SEL%22&_saca...

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

This keeps happening to me. I'm looking for an antique viola, and it keeps correcting it to violin, or just fills the results with violins, most of the time without giving me the option to clarify. There was a single instance where filters let me choose VIOLA specifically, but that option is now gone for sone reason.

I even saved the search, "Antique Viola 4/4" and it gives me NOTHING but Violins when I check back daily.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@the_quashing_tub 

You can limit your search to the Viola category. Try these searches:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=antique+Viola&_sacat=16225&_fsrp=1&_blrs=spell_auto_c...

Not everyone uses the antique keyword, so there may be some good results here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Viola&_sacat=16225&_fsrp=1&_blrs=spell_auto_correct&S...

Usually when eBay autocorrects a search term, it provides an option to resume the search using the original (unchanged) keyword; choose that original search, then save that search to avoid the correction in the future.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Yesssss thank you. I also found that spamming the word "viola" also works, which is really funny to me.

"Antique viola 4/4 viola vintage viola did I mention viola it's a viola viola viola"

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

I'm mostly going for antiques because I'd be a pretty casual learner, so I don't necessarily need something professional or in perfect quality. This is to relearn viola and to fill the void that my lack of space or funds allows for my beloved Bass.

There's also one instrument seller that seems to just crowd the site with Violins that come up because they throw "viola" into the title which kind of aggravates me, but that's not necessarily Ebay's fault.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply