cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is happening to my UPC codes?

I have been selling for sometime on eBay. In the last few days my UPC codes have been disappearing at random. We list boots with tons of variations. Each boot size has its own UPC. Lately eBay began removing my listings because the UPC was missing. What!! we have entered each UPC by hand. This kills our sales and the ability to update inventory by UPC code. Also you end up selling items that are not in stock. I  have called eBay but they refuse to let you talk to technical support. And customer support has absolutely no clue what you are talking about. 

Wits end!!!

Bubba

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Any update to this? My listings and file exchange are doing the exact same thing. It won't upload any inventory changes due to missing upc, but they are there.

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all - I just wanted to update everyone that I have received more info on this issue. 

UPCs in these instances were removed either because they were invalid or not in a format the site accepts. We've been working to block new listings that include the invalid UPCs but for Good Till Cancelled or multi-variation listings, it wasn't always working. Because of that, no block was put into place upon relisting/revising. We were then removing UPCs from listings that were invalid and ending items that did not include the required info. 

In order to resolve this, you would need to verify that the correct UPC is being used for each item/variation within a listing and either relist with that info or create a new listing from scratch. That should allow you to upload your listing without any issues. 

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for the update @Anonymous , but you seem to be missing the point.  It is eBay's software or the comparisons being made which deem a code invalid that IS the problem!  More often than not - eBay's info does not match the product in hand.  We enter the codes as they are, not what eBay wants them to be.  So, please understand we don't want nor need blocks - we need acceptance.  

We appreciate all you do; but your solution will only make the problem worse - at least in my opinion. 

(edited for spelling)

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Heidi, We enter the UPC codes supplied by the company. They are correct and recognized elsewhere. eBay still drops them when we do inventory updates. The thoughts of continuing to add over 3,000 UPC codes on a regular basis is baloney. The system will not even keep "does not apply" . eBay will simply pull the GTC listing and make us start over. You do realize that we lose a running record of sales, which makes us look like you have never sold that item before.  This affects our bottom line which in turn affects eBay new 9.15% commission. Is eBay going to wave listing fees when we go over our monthly limit pulling and relisting these items? Probably not. Just fix the problem, please. 

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@Anonymous

Here is another from the M2M - https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Good-til-Canceled-items-are-being-removed/qaq-p/26974872

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 20 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all - I've sent on these reports to the team and they're asking for examples so they can investigate what's happening. I've reached out to a few of you by email and if you could, please get back to me when you can. Once we have more info we'll be able to review and provide further answers with regards to what's happening here. Thank you! 

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Heidi@ebay. I too am having the same UPC issue with valid UPC's.  I also have another issue on multi variation that may be related.

When I use the bulk editor to edit quantities on multi variation listings, the SKU's, price and quantity are being moved around so they no longer match the actual product and UPC.  The UPCs are staying put.  This of course has led to me selling items I do not have, but luckily I can bring things in overnight from suppliers so it has had little affect on buyers.  Hopefully they can figure this out as well.  Thanks!  

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

UPCs in these instances were removed either because they were invalid or not in a format the site accepts. We've been working to block new listings that include the invalid UPCs but for Good Till Cancelled or multi-variation listings, it wasn't always working. Because of that, no block was put into place upon relisting/revising. We were then removing UPCs from listings that were invalid and ending items that did not include the required info. 

@Anonymous Hi Heidi. When you enter a UPC that's not valid it simply wipes out the box. I remember a while back one of the blues (Brian, maybe?? can't remember) said that they were going to work on a feature that would cause a warning message to appear if the UPC was invalid since it's so easy to miss the fact that the box clears and UPC field is left blank. Is there any update on this feature? Is this what you're referencing above when you say listings without UPC will be blocked?

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Heidi, check eBay item  

This item will renew on May 22,2017 . We have added "does not apply" to all the variations for items running up to that date. Just trying to keep things current and working.  We also have paid a programmer to have our quantity update program add UPC codes when updating via file exchange.  The program only updates the UPC codes for items when it changes the quantity in stock. This was suggested as a "band-aid" fix by the folks in the file exchange department. The UPC codes seem to disappear (and the Does not apply) when when the quantity field changes. If the quantity changes, the UPC and does not apply,  go away. That is why we had to make the program fill in the UPC when quantities change. 
This isn't perfect it still leaves many gaps but it has helped.
Message 24 of 35
latest reply

Still no updates?

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all - I don't have any further updates at this time but I've shared the info I've been given with the team. 

@copper.boom - Listings without a UPC should be blocked and the seller notified so that it can be corrected. That way we prevent this type of situation from happening in the future. 

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Today my file exchange worked. No errors. I will let you know what happens tomorrow. Maybe they fixed something internally?

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@motorpsychosport_llc wrote:

Today my file exchange worked. No errors. I will let you know what happens tomorrow. Maybe they fixed something internally?

Hi all - I did just get word back that this issue should be resolved and won't happen any longer as long as valid/correct UPCs are added to items and variations. It would require a relist or revision of the listing but as @motorpsychosport_llc mentioned, there shouldn't be any additional issues. 

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

I am having this exact same problem with single quantity listings with no variations.  It has been going on for a few days now.  UPC's are dissappearing from active listings and I am unable to relist multiple items.  I am getting an error on the relistings that says the UPC is missing when it is actually there. 

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@niknak256 wrote:

I am having this exact same problem with single quantity listings with no variations.  It has been going on for a few days now.  UPC's are dissappearing from active listings and I am unable to relist multiple items.  I am getting an error on the relistings that says the UPC is missing when it is actually there. 

Hi @niknak256 - I'm so sorry for any trouble here! I would recommend reaching out to our customer service teams: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cuhome?from_ocs=1 if you're still having issues. The problem originally reported on this thread has been resolved so contacting customer service should be your next step. They'll be able to troubleshoot this with you and have it reported to our tech teams as needed. 

Message 30 of 35
latest reply