cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNABLE TO PULL UP EBAY.COM FOR DAYS - SERIOUS ISSUE!!!

This is ridiculous that you cannot even pull up ebay.com without getting an error and internet shuts it down. I would probably get just as much exposure selling my stuff on Facebook marketplace...and it is free. I hope this gets corrected soon. I can tell this is an issue based on the number of views that I am getting on my items.

Message 1 of 188
latest reply
187 REPLIES 187

Re: UNABLE TO PULL UP EBAY.COM FOR DAYS - SERIOUS ISSUE!!!

Was finally able to figure it out. It took me all day yesterday but what happened was eBay no longer supports storefront Pro. I ended up having to remove that contacting the developer and ending up getting a new storefront. To top it off ended up having to change my domain name over. So it was a lot to go through but that was what was going on and I never got a clear answer from anybody as to what was going on. 

Everything is done now but I thought I would post this in case anybody else was having problems.

Message 166 of 188
latest reply

Hi @greg5000, while the Community team doesn't have specific numbers, the tech team has let us know that they haven't seen any changes to IE 11 usage that would cause concern. 

I have a Windows 10 machine and cannot replicate an issue. However, I did go to a coworkers desk to test out IE 11 on their Windows 7 computer. While I am still not getting an error message, I did find that the eBay.com homepage isn't displaying properly when using IE 11 on Windows 7. The formatting is really off. I've taken my results and sent them to the tech team for further review. 

IE 11.jpg

Brian,
Community Team
Message 167 of 188
latest reply

brian@ebay  wrote;

Hi @greg5000, while the Community team doesn't have specific numbers, the tech team has let us know that they haven't seen any changes to IE 11 usage that would cause concern. 

I have a Windows 10 machine and cannot replicate an issue. However, I did go to a coworkers desk to test out IE 11 on their Windows 7 computer. While I am still not getting an error message, I did find that the eBay.com homepage isn't displaying properly when using IE 11 on Windows 7. The formatting is really off. I've taken my results and sent them to the tech team for further review. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian,

Thanks for the follow-up!  Just wondering how the Tech Support Team can see any changes to IE 11 usage that would cause concern?  I'm using IE 11 with Windows 7 and had to sign-in using a back door.  Many users reporting the problem are also doing this daily (i.e. we're all experiencing the problem, but are logged in to our accounts with IE via a work-around).  Can the Tech Support Team see that customers are signing in from an eBay page that is not the Home Page?  Do they receive an error report when I receive an error at the Home Page?  If so, can you provide me an example of this?  Can you also provide some details as to how they are tracking?

Regarding the formatting issue you saw (with screenshot).  I'm not seeing this on my side and haven't seen anyone else reporting this.  Might be something new and exciting for the Tech Support Team to work on.  Maybe the System Design Team that caused all the problems can chat with the Teach Support Team, so they can resolve the bad code that was released in eBay's February and March updates?

Greg

alan@ebay 

Message 168 of 188
latest reply

Since this seems to be a unresolved issue...a member on another thread had some interesting information...

If someone on this thread has the time and is experiencing this issue, and they are on a cable internet....Please call your cable ISP people and ask them to change your IP address. Please check before and after the IP change.

I specifically mention cable ISP because it is pretty easy for these people to change your IP address. For anyone not on a cable ISP, you might also talk to your internet provider and ask for a new IP address.

We need to see if this solves the issue. It might not only help the members with this issue, but with other eBay issues.

Please respond to this thread with your results.

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 169 of 188
latest reply

Very, very unlikely the alleged IP issue (problems due to security issues with PayPal payments or eBay signins) has anything to do with the IE 11 crashing issues.

I have some info from a friend who tested the IE11 Win 7 issue for me I'm looking over, that MAY indicate it's a third party ad script (as I suspected) causing the IE 1 crashes.

IIRC, I asked that someone experiencing the problem here apply an adblocker which would prevent the issue if it is an ad script issue, but as per usual, crickets.
Message 170 of 188
latest reply

@berserkerplanet 

You and a few others, actively look for solutions. This is just another effort. Constantly criticizing eBay, is not looking for solutions.

Items relisting...that is probably an eBay issue. Browser issues may not be. Especially since eBay can not seem to recreate the issue (of course to hear others talk, they must be lying).

Glad to hear that you are looking in other directions.

I am just trying to cast a net. Maybe I'll catch the big one, that gives me 5000 helpfuls! (like I care...solutions are what count. Anyway, my soapbox broke years ago).

Note: the other info may be related to one of eBay's 'partners', but not ad related. - https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Unable-to-pay-for-auction-won/m-p/29688895#M55553

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 171 of 188
latest reply

It's good you are brainstorming and looking for answers. Don't stop.

I understand what the poster in the other thread is saying about Akamai being to blame for the payment issues.

The Akamai IP blacklisting (if that's is true) could very well be the cause of the payments issues - during payment activities, a "security check" is made by eBay's third party partner Akamai, and if the payer's IP has been blacklisted the process fails with half baked error handling that results in a useless and misleading error message.

They should redirect in that case to an info page with an error message indicating that the payer's IP address has been flagged as suspicious and that the user needs to contact eBay CS (and eBay CS needs to be in on the secret to be able to do something about it). Instead they just deny permission to the payment process and let it fail with a generic error.
(all that assuming that that unsubstantiated IP theory is true)

IMO, that theorized Akamai blacklisting has nothing to do with IE 11 crashing (it would be far too coincidental that the alleged Akamai blacklisting also happens to not get along with IE11. And only starting recently. Not out of the realm of possibility, but very unlikely. And can't see why Akamai would be scrutinizing/blacklisting users visiting the eBay homepage)

Anyway, if you can get someone to actually test the IP theory out, that'll be great (but good luck with that 🙂
Message 172 of 188
latest reply

Yea, I know. As a firm believer in FireFox, and a user of Win 10, I would not be able to recreate the issue either.

I also hope your efforts give some insight in to this and other issues!

Message 173 of 188
latest reply

@berserkerplanet  wrote to @dollybeauty ;

It's good you are brainstorming and looking for answers. Don't stop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answers is .......... eBay Needs to Fix The Home Page Error.

Those posting here that have a Technical Background, who know the likely source of the problem (eBay source code related to ads), have provided source code & descriptions of the error with symptoms, and have provided a work-around (signing in at another eBay page), are the ones who are focused on helping to resolve this > 1 month issue and helping the Community, Sellers, Buyers & ultimately eBay.

Message 174 of 188
latest reply

Correction;

The answer is .......... eBay Needs to Fix The Home Page Error.

Message 175 of 188
latest reply

Is this ever going to get fixed?  I have to login to ebay via this community page.

Message 176 of 188
latest reply

ANOTHER DAY OF HIDE AND SEEK ON MY LISTINGS !!!!

4~Days & counting: Site sill not accessible; CAN NOT View/Edit listed items,

or for that fact E~Bay message potential customers.

One Hell~of a way to run (RUIN) a business E~Bay!! 

* NOTE: Loosing $ale$

Message 177 of 188
latest reply

@vintagebyterri wrote:

Is this ever going to get fixed?  I have to login to ebay via this community page.

I don't think so.  It's been too long and they must know about the problem by now - it's pretty easy to reproduce if they really wanted to.  If I can personally get it to fail on 5 different computers at 2 locations (different ISP's) and even a fresh installation of Windows 7 (running IE11) - then of course they know about it. 

I suspect the problem will be resolved the next time the scheduled home page update is done.  Or they will finally just tell us IE11 (especially running Windows 7 where most of the complaints are coming from) is no longer supported.

Also, there are so many people on the forums who just want to argue that this is not a real problem.  So these threads are getting so large and junk filled - so our complaints are getting buried and lost.

Time will tell, but I don't think this will ever be publicly acknowledged by Ebay

Message 178 of 188
latest reply

After a month of this, I have finally been able to access the eBay homepage without an error and without having to use a work around.  My original thread started on March 8th.  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/eBay-Home-Page-keeps-getting-an-error-message-Not-hap...

Life has been good for about 3 days now.  There were some glitches on the first day but I am cautiously optimistic that it will remain viable.  Fingers crossed.

I am using windows 7 and IE 11 if that is of any help to anyone.

Message 179 of 188
latest reply

Well, the home page was working for a week or two but now back to not working again...ugh!

Message 180 of 188
latest reply