cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There was a problem issuing this refund

Trying to refund a buyer and keep receiving this message. Anyone else experiencing this?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: There was a problem issuing this refund

@le-5262 wrote:

I had this same problem and how it played out:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Issuing-an-instant-refund/qaq-p/30532918/comm...

When i go to your link, it doesn't show an answer.  Can you copy and past Cody's reply here?  Thanks.

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

@40rockville wrote:

I have alot of funds  in my paypal account,  so that's not the issue for me.

Have you been getting the error message?  If yes, your PP balance must be enough for the refund and associated taxes/fees.  If you have enough to cover all that, I think you'll have to call Ebay and Paypal and ask them why. 

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

You will have to add funds to your Paypal balance before it will let you refund the money. And it will take 3-5 days for a transfer from your bank account to hit your Paypal balance, so keep that in mind, because ebay usually only gives you a couple of days to issue the refund. If your refund is due before your money will hit your balance, have a friend send money to your Paypal account--this is instant and you can go ahead and issue your refund before you get any bad demerits or bad feedback.
Message 19 of 46
latest reply

Thats terrible. And adding funds is so slow. I might barely skid by the refund due date. Idk why paypal thought i'd be smart to make me go negative instead of pulling money from my bank account. 

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

This violates PayPal policy, from what I can tell, at 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/common-questions-about-issuing-refunds-faq3214

If you're in the US, file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).  It takes only about five minutes.  PayPal needs to enforce its own policy or create a specific one for eBay.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

Ebay and PP are arseholes.
I am getting outta here. These companies keep phucking the sellers all the time. Im outta here. phucking crooks
Message 22 of 46
latest reply

Hi , so did you have to put money it to pay it twice or did they just take it off hold and give it the buyer

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

Yes! I tried to refund a buyer who wanted a cancellation. When I issued the refund I was sent a message that there was a problem with the refund from PayPal. I have a credit card and a bank account attached to my PayPal account as a back up source of funding. I was informed by Paypal that they will no longer accept Back up accounts. They said I had to have the funds in my PayPal balance. I have no idea how we are supposed to make refund. Are usually never have any money in my PayPal account as I transfer it out as soon as I get it into my bank account so that I can pay my bills! Any ideas?

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

this recently happened to me when trying to refund a buyer. so annoying and I don't have the money in the bank to cover the refund amount from being out of work with the covid going around. so stupid. 

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

I’ve added the required funds to PayPal, now what? The cancelation in eBay still says pending refund. I don’t see any way to now force the refund now that the funds are there and it didn’t happen automatically 

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

I have the same issue when trying to refund a buyer. This is so ridiculous. I have to put on my PayPal account now DOUBLE the selling price since they put the original payment on hold and STILL don't allow issuing a refund, even though technically the payment is already on hold and therefore subtracted. Now PayPal transfers need days and according to their own policy I have to refund fast than that. 

First and last sell on ebay

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

Yes, Im done with Ebay, after using it for 20 years. The fee has grown out of control, 10% or maybe its more now??. Then the PayPal fees, then if a buy flakes out, I still gave to pay PayPal fee anyway. Also the "buyer protection" has gone ay too far. Not worth all the hassle. I just bought a new MacBook pro from apple. My old one prob would have gone for $1K on ebay. Apple offered me $850 for trade in. After all the fees and hassle, this is a much better deal! haha. Same with Gamestop and my video game systems from now on. 

And if I REALLY want to sell something privately, offer up or craigslist have been fine. 

Shame. 

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

If you don't have a paypal balance do they grab from your bank account?
Message 29 of 46
latest reply

I had the same error when trying to issue a refund.  It is as the other commentators have stated, the funds have to be readily available in Paypal or the refund will fail.

If you initiate a transfer from your bank it will take up to 5 business days which might exceed the refund approval window.

Instead I decided to use the Add Instant Cash option to Paypal.  It is available on the mobile app.

You have to go to a store the supports the service - 7-11, CVS, Walgreens, etc.  They are listed in your app. 

They charge a fee - $3.95 for me.

It generated a barcode valid for 1 hour.  The clerk scanned the barcode and asked me how much I was loading.  Max transaction is $500 if I remember.

The funds showed up in Paypal in about 15 minutes, after which the refund could then process thru Ebay.

Hope this helps resolve your issue.

Message 30 of 46
latest reply