cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus signs between words in "Search"

When I enter sveral words in the Search Box Ebay's search engine has started inserting the plus sign (+) between the words (example:   beer+goblets+glasses).  With the plus sign between words it will not do a complete search so I have to manually delete the +'s.  It never used to do that and it just started a couple of days ago.  How do I get it to stop doing that? It's driving me crazy.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Plus signs between words in "Search"

Me too, can't save or edit Saved Searches (using Firefox)

Message 16 of 82
latest reply

Same issue here. If I type the search terms in and bookmark the results (even new searches created now), I can use that bookmark as a saved search and it works. The actual "save" function for the search still messes it up though.

Message 17 of 82
latest reply

It still does not work correctly today 3/24. The plus signs appear in the search as soon as saved and when I ran the saved search, it found NONE of the original 4 items in the prime result. It ,however, showed all of the original 4 items in the category "results matching fewer words" in the nexr few lines of output !!!!!!!!!!! Go figure......some programming experise needs applied yet! Probably take a long time for them to fix it, just bookmark in the browser and be done with it is much easier.
Message 18 of 82
latest reply

Ditto here... seems to have started a few days ago. 

DON'T EDIT ANY EXISTING SEARCHES or they will be destroyed.

Message 19 of 82
latest reply

One of my searches: "psa 10 (fouts,joiner,winslow,bochy) -justise", is desiged to pick up all PSA 10 listings of either Dan "Fouts", Charlie "Joiner", Kellen "Winslow and Bruce "Bochy" while eliminating anything of "Justise Winslow".  I have to use last names only, since many listings don't have their first names in them.

Now, due to some recent change inserting "+" signs into searches, the above search has been transformed to: "psa+10++ (fouts,joiner,winslow,bochy) +-justise", which picks up ONLY "Justise Winslow" listings (the exact item i want to eliminate), and NONE of the items I'm looking for!!!

Here's another one:

hostess 1979 (perry,tenace,winfield)

When I click on it, I get ZERO results.  When I look at the search text box, the search has been changed to:

hostess+1979+ (perry,tenace,winfield)

I click on either the "completed listings" or "sold listings", to get search results of them.  Then, I click the same one again, to go back to the current items (the original search);  Magically, there are now 15 search results.  The search block reads: 

hostess 1979 (perry,tenace,winfield)

Exactly as I intended it to read.

The problem is, ebay has changed their system to add these stupid "+" signs between words in our searches, and they are completely destroying the search results.  THE SEARCHES DON"T WORK WITH THE PLUS SIGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another one without a parenthetical search:

1971 topps coombs psa 9

Under my present search, it picks up the one item out there listed for sale.

When I save it now, under ebay's new parameters, it is saved as follows:

1971+topps+coombs+psa+9

It picks up ZERO results!

No one lists their items on ebay with "+" signs between the words (and therefore creating a long, one-word search), therefore no newly saved searches will pick up anything, since they are looking for "+" signs between the words, and no blank spaces between individual words.

This is evidently an internal system edit that ebay has just made.

Who, at ebay, is dreaming up this idiocy?!

EBAY, I AM TALKING TO YOU............................

GET RID OF ALL THESE DAMNED "+" SIGNS IN OUR SEARCHES...........PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUIT SCREWING THINGS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You!

Message 20 of 82
latest reply

Hey ebay!

I'd say what you have here is "MAJOR SYSTEM FAILURE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If buyers can not find the items' sellers are selling or auctioning, they (sellers) can't make money, which means you can't make money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit making your users/customers figure out "workarounds" to the problems YOU create!!!!!!!

You are supposed to be the "experts"!!!!!!!!!!

FIX THE PROBLEM YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 21 of 82
latest reply

Having the same issue here, whenever I edit existing saved searches it inserts (+) symbols in place of all the spaces, rendering my saved searches useless.

Message 22 of 82
latest reply

Since Tyler from eBay wrote here, I'll include detail on the same issue.

About a month ago, I saved a bunch of searches, both single word and multiple word ones. No problems.

In the last 10 days, I saved more multiple word searches, but when saved, the programming has been changed I believe, a plus sign (+) is added in between each word. This then limits the search results when I click VIEW ITEMS. On the search results page I am always getting asked did you mean to search *** with all the results I should have gotten with the search I wanted to save.

Is there a way around this?

For example, I saved "semipro tropics" (The quotation marks are only there to highlight the words for you) which should yield roughly 1900 items. But eBay saved it as "semipro+tropics" which yields 0 items.

I have tried the EDIT SEARCH feature and in so doing eliminated the plus sign in the search bar, then after pushing the search button and getting 1900 results, have clicked on the heart to SAVE CHANGES FOR THIS SEARCH. Go to my search page and the plus sign is still there with the keywords.

ALSO, when not using the edit search feature, after using my saved search to get 0 results, I then delete the plus sign and make eBay re-search for the 1900 items. At that point the heart sign is still shown as SAVED as if my saved search is "semipro tropics" with no plus sign even though its there.

Something in the programming has to have been changed between my initial batch of seacrhes at the end of February and my recent batch in mid March.

Any guidance is welcomed!

Steve

Message 23 of 82
latest reply

My temporary "fix" has been to recreate all my searches using the mobile app.  It works there for the time being

Message 24 of 82
latest reply

I believe that may be part of it.  Many websites have been ruined by adapting them for mobile.

Message 25 of 82
latest reply

My workaround is to copy searches to WORD until this gets fixed.  i copy both the URL of the search results and search key words that i've typed into the eBay Search box.  i'm going to keep all my searches added or changed in WORD until eBay gets this fixed. 

WORD is definitely handy to fix the ones that eBay has screwed up by adding the "+", as i can do a "Replace All" and request anything that eBay saved with "+-", can easily be changed to " -" to get rid of the "+" and replace with space as it should be.  Next step to copy the search string into the eBay Search box.

Other issue i'm getting with the searches is that frequently when i select "Edit search" on the Saved searches page and try to save changes, i get message "Sorry, we encountered an internal error. Please try again later."

Decided to call eBay support, and just got off the phone with them.  The individual i talked acted as if this is first time they'd heard of either of the issues but took Screenshots of corruption with "+" in my Saved searches and forwarding information to internal technical staff.  i mentioned the comment from someone in this thread as to modifications being made to accommodate mobile apps causing problems.  Response was that about a month ago they were having problems with the mobile apps.

Message 26 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebaywrote:

Thanks for letting us know @svsonsie! I've filed a ticket and included anyone on this thread who mentioned having this same issue.

Thanks!

tyler@ebay

No fixes yet?

New threads popping up all over
this is just a few

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/saved-searches/qaq-p/28286751

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Saved-Searches-corrupted-with-sign/m-p/28302739#M3880...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Saved-Searches-is-Messed-Up/m-p/28281883

Today's last post on this one 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/When-I-save-a-search-eBay-puts-a-between-each-item-Wh...

I just called this in - the support person was not aware of this issue and for some reason couldn't find this thread.  She said she reported it to engineering, we will see how long it takes to get resolved.

Message 27 of 82
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

tyler@ebaywrote:

Thanks for letting us know @svsonsie! I've filed a ticket and included anyone on this thread who mentioned having this same issue.

Thanks!

tyler@ebay

No fixes yet?

New threads popping up all over
this is just a few

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/saved-searches/qaq-p/28286751

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Saved-Searches-corrupted-with-sign/m-p/28302739#M3880...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Saved-Searches-is-Messed-Up/m-p/28281883

Today's last post on this one 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/When-I-save-a-search-eBay-puts-a-between-each-item-Wh...

I just called this in - the support person was not aware of this issue and for some reason couldn't find this thread.  She said she reported it to engineering, we will see how long it takes to get resolved.

No updates yet, but thank you for these threads, I'll get impacted members added to the ticket!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 82
latest reply

Cmon Tyler or eBay in general. Acknoweldge there is an issue and a mean time to resolve. Chances are you are an AI anyway.  Does anyone really exist at ebay accept for senior leadership, billing and offshore developers?  At this point the latter may be machine generated as well.  This seems like a simple parser error when "Save Search" is selected. 

Message 29 of 82
latest reply

SAME PROBLEM!

Message 30 of 82
latest reply