cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive CAPTCHA Issues

There seems to be alot of people are having issues with excessive captchas - I have 3 ebay accounts so I am signing in several times a day. I use 2 computers (both are macs) one of them is an older computer and the other is newer.

With the older one I am constantly hit with the capchtas - the newer one hardly ever. The older computer is using an older operating system - while the newer one is running a more up to date system.

I have tried clearing history as mentioned by others and it didn't help. It seems to me that it might be a problem with older

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Excessive CAPTCHA Issues

@masonic_artefacts 

If you have three accounts, you might want to consider using separate browsers for each account (or using private or incognito browser sessions for two of them) to allow you to stay signed in to each account without having to sign out of one account to sign in to another.

Other than that, here are some things that might affect whether you have to go through verification more often, or help avoid it altogether:

Make sure you are allowing the sign-in page to load completely before attempting to sign in -- attempting to sign in before the page has loaded can cause problems.

Make sure your browser is set to accept cookies and is not deleting them after each session, or try another browser. Make sure your browser allows javascript.

If you still have problems, when you get to a sign-in page again, delete everything in the URL after the .dll part, so that the address looks like this:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

Then hit 'enter' to load that page -- that should give you the old pre-Facebook sign-in. Once you have signed in there, if eBay gives you another new sign-in page or verification page, click on the eBay logo to go to the main page, and you should be signed in at that point, at least until eBay changes things again.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I have a Solution.

The Solution mentioned above is nonsense. You should not have to ''visit'' another link to get to the site your trying to get to ever. Besides this is a Firefox issue, not eBay. 

I have been dealing with this on Firefox for months on end. I would not have to try and ''verify'' myself (ridiculous) once when going to eBay, then again at the login screen. I figured out a Temporary workaround until I could look into this further because I could not even see the Captchas.  Firefox has included ''Browser Fingerprinting Protection'' that does not even really work. On top of that they have also ''disallowed'' Java Plugins, this is why some people can't even see the Puzzle. I'll offer my Solution to that as well - but to STOP this madness Step 1: Type about:config into the address bar, press ''accept the risk to continue" (it's normal people go in all the time to alter settings. I also reccomend you Bookmark this page BTW in case you ever for some reason chose to switch the following option back. Step 2: Type privacy.resistFingerprinting into the search bar in about:config (not the address bar). Step 3: Put the mouse over privacy.resistFingerprinting it should be in BOLD, and set to ''true'', double tap it to set it to false.  Done.  RESTART THE BROWSER and that's it.   

Note.

You may have to ''Clear Cookies / Browsing History'' for you to Login normally.   As of Firefox 72.0 this is Tested and working. 

Be careful of too many ad blockers, cookie deleters etc.  If you have them disable them on eBay if necessary, but you should not have too. I thought those Firefox addons were the problem, it's not it's Firefox.

As far as not seeing Captchas goes - if you don't want to try the ''about:config" fix - which is a complete fix.

Do this for a partial fix. When a Puzzle comes up for you to Solve... in order for you to ''verify'' yourself, hit the Icon that next to the lock in the address bar that looks like a Puzzle/Lego piece.  A dialog box surfaces from that area - allow HTML.5 (please remember decision) or not accept. 

The problem is although if you refresh your Browser tab on the Verify page and see the Puzzle to solve - that even if you tick the remember this option it will not remember this and always ask. And more notably so if you clean / clear your Browsing History regularly.

Shame on Firefox for fake protecting anyone at all, and eBay which is the only site ou t of 1,000's of websites this even ever happens on.   

Good luck.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

None of this worked, still getting captcha with FF v72.  I really hope this is on eBay's end and is only temporary.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If anyone still has this issue,. this worked right away for me.  Right click on your eBay link and select properties.  In the location line delete what is there and then copy and past this below:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

Click save,  then go to the link and right click again, check properties and the location, if the location is what you pasted above and it saved correctly, you should now be able to use that link to connect without a captcha. 

'rgards

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

My iPad is stuck in a captcha loop that says I've successfully signed in to eBay, then brings me back to the captcha...no getting out of there... No selling, no buying on ipad.  

--
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@printpeople 

My iPad is stuck in a captcha loop that says I've successfully signed in to eBay, then brings me back to the captcha...no getting out of there... No selling, no buying on ipad.

If you are using a browser, the second or third time you get to that Captcha page, try tapping on the eBay logo -- that should take you to the main ebay.com page; you may be signed in at that point; look at your name in the upper left corner. If you do not see a "sign-in" link there, you may be OK.

Otherwise, try a different browser -- some require more verification than others.

Alternative sign-in pages, one of which might work better for you:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn2

https://www.ebay.com/signin/?sgn=reg&siteid=0

Make sure your browser is a recent version, and has javascript enabled, and that your browser is not set to block cookies or erase them often. Try disabling your VPN if you use one.

If you are able to sign in, to stay signed in there is a "keep me signed in" checkbox on the sign-in page, but there is another checkbox in your account site preferences -- it might be worth checking that setting, or unchecking, saving, rechecking and saving again. That is, if you want to stay signed in and avoid having to go through verification.

If you have multiple accounts and must sign in and out to switch, consider using a dedicated browser for each account to minimize signing in and out. A private or incognito browser session is handy if you just need to check another account without signing out of your current account.

If you have successfully signed in using Google or Facebook before, try that again -- the sign in process using those may have different dependencies and may work better for you. But if you have not signed in using those before make sure you do not accidentally create a new eBay account when you attempt to sign in.

If you get really stuck, try signing in to ebay.ca or ebay.co.uk or using the eBay app on your phone -- that may allow you to do most non-listing or non-selling related activities.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It would be so much nicer if eBay would just stop with the nonsense that didn't work the last time they tried it.  Most sellers do have a buying account, some have more than one store, and/or more than one selling account with completely different types of items.  Some buyers have work accounts and personal accounts. If it's going to cause problems having 2 accounts, there are other places to shop.  Just sayin'...eBay shouldnt really try so hard to chase customers away.

--
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Unfortunately, credentials and verification are necessary to prevent accounts from being hijacked. The trick is to be able to make it difficult for scammers to try multiple attempts at signing in without locking out or otherwise greatly inconveniencing intended users.

Most users seem to be able to sign-in and go through verification without too much difficulty. Of those that have problems, many issues can be traced to such things as old or nonstandard browsers, outdated SSL/TSL issues, cookies being corrupt/blocked/erased, javascript being blocked, a VPN being used or networks changing often.

Selling accounts may require some additional verification or sign-ins to do selling-related tasks like listing items.

For buyers, having multiple accounts is typically not a problem, particularly if different browsers are used for each account. It is possible to sign in once and stay signed in and not have to deal with verification or credentials for the most part, other than to update account registration information periodically.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Bull **bleep**

Its a great pain in ass and even banks don't do this bull**bleep** to you.

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET AND MONEY $

I'm about ready to dump Ebay.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@allclassics-usa 

banks don't do this

Many banks will lock your account after three failed password attempts, and then require you to prove your identity to sign in again or reset your password.

If you are using an ATM, your card is likely to be swallowed if you enter the wrong PIN multiple times.

eBay could institute something similar, but then anyone could lock you out of your account simply by entering your username and an incorrect password into the sign-in page a few times.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply