cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminate New Auto-Pay Requirement when Submitting Best Offers.

Auto Pay linked to Best Offers is a terrible idea, and the fact that eBay didn't communicate the change is worse for Buyers and Sellers.

It makes combined shipping more complicated for the seller.  If a BUYER wants to buy more than one item of mine, their knowing that combined shipping will be a matter they'll have to bring up with the seller because of the new Auto Pay, they might not bother with buying more from my store. Lost revenue. I recently had to go back-and-forth with a seller on figuring out how to deal with this. They didn't have much experience on issuing refunds, which is fine. We worked it out, but it took time. Some Buyers might not be as patient. And some sellers might not issue refunds on the extra shipping.

This Auto-Pay feature is complicating how Buyers submit an offer. It's a terrible idea. I've been on eBay 17 years, and the previous method of submitting offers worked smoothly: the offer is 1. Rejected; 2. Considered then countered; 3. Accepted, then the Seller and Buyer work out payment and payment scheduling.

Auto-Pay Best Offer submissions also FORCE a buyer to IMMEDIATELY pay for an item, even if a seller doesn't require it. I give my buyers five days to pay. Some sellers give 2-3 days. I've found this PAYMENT WINDOW gives a Buyer less of a sense of urgency, so maybe they'll shop more. Auto-Pay overrides that, so a customer who needs that extra time to pay doesn't have it. Auto-Pay Best Offers are violating are own store payment terms.

We could be losing sales. Losing customers. Ebay is intent on complicating their platform. I don't know why, either. If you and I are losing sales, eBay is losing money.

Message 1 of 111
latest reply
110 REPLIES 110

Re: Eliminate New Auto-Pay Requirement when Submitting Best Offers.

Even worse is that now I cant do pay in 4 on paypal with this stupid feature. Sometimes I buy expensive cards and pay in 4 works great since I get pay every 2 weeks. Now is just one big payment

Message 76 of 111
latest reply

Was just caught off guard by this. Early July I bought an item using Best Offer as I have been doing for the past 20 years. Today i went to make an offer on an item and was hit with the new Auto Pay. I have only ever used paypal on ebay so i did go ahead and set up the auto pay when submitting the offer. (I quit selling  when ebay stopped letting sellers use paypal and required personal bank account info)

The offer was accepted and payment immediately taken out of my pay pal account.

I just went to my account payment info and removed paypal from auto payment and to be sure it is disabled I logged into paypal and checked that ebay has been removed from automatic payments

Message 77 of 111
latest reply

YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!  This is ridiculous - I made an offer and WALKED AWAY FROM THE SALE after I saw the immediate payment on MY BEHALF pop up!  Yes, you are right - you will lose sales!  Who at ebay is THAT STUPID to think this was a good idea???????

Message 78 of 111
latest reply

I called EBAY about this today and spoke with a a senior relationship leader. I expressed how pathetic it was that EBAY told me I had opted in to this and gave consent when I actually never did and I not only did not consent to auto payment, I was not even asked to do so. This is downright fraud and deceptive practice. EBAY has no right to change my payment options without my consent and then they lied about me saying I opted into it. I told the person I spoke with that I was very disappointed in EBAY and it was a horrible phone call. I was basically told that's the way it is and EBAY will do whatever they want whenever they want even if it is fraudulent and illegal.

Message 79 of 111
latest reply

And the idiot I spoke with at EBAY today said, "in all transparency we have not been getting any complaints about this". I knew he was a corporate liar!!!!

Message 80 of 111
latest reply

Just wait until the buyers on EBAY figure out that they can dispute purchases with auto pay with their bank and get a full refund because they never authorized an automatic payment.  It will hurt the sellers and decimate EBAY

Message 81 of 111
latest reply

Horrible idea. sometime I need to select shipping address after offer was accepted. now I have to select shipping address at time of offer.

Message 82 of 111
latest reply

I just got roped into this ---- it's a disaster!!!

Agreed .... multiple purchases will be a big headache.  And I paid with a card I did not want to.

I don't even feel like making offers now

If non-payers are a problem ..... Go After the Non-Payers!

We will ALL ---- Including EBAY ---- lose money with this!

Message 83 of 111
latest reply

I've been buying, never selling on this store for 10(ish) years, I use afterpay for bigger purchases like over $100, I can no longer do that if i make an offer. That completely takes away from their business, and my value (if any). I understand they don't want to let offeries just go silent. But man I can no longer make offers with how I purchase things now

Message 84 of 111
latest reply

So, this just started happening to me last night. But with an auction, not a BIN/OBO.

I saw it on one item; I put my payment method in and deleted the payment method afterwards. Won the auction last night and a few hours later it gave me a "payment failed" message. I paid for it this afternoon.

So while I understand WHY this is a thing and how it is good, in some instances I can't get behind it.

There is a seller that usually lists stuff every day. Often I'll bid on items that end Friday-Thursday. After the auctions on Thursday, I request an invoice and I pay late Thursday or Friday morning. The first few times I wanted to do this, I asked him if it would be OK, and he was cool with it. Been doing it since and there hasn't been an issue. I also understand this is an exception and not the norm.

When it comes to BIN/OBO, sometimes I want to go back and grab more items if they accepted my initial offer.

Does this automatic payment thing factor in combined shipping? Over how many days does it count for?

Message 85 of 111
latest reply

We think the Auto pay feature makes it difficult to track orders on the admin side. We aren't able to add a message to the seller about which PO# to reference for the order and we don't create the PO# invoices until our offer is accepted so we know which price we need to record.

Message 86 of 111
latest reply

I agree 100000%. What we can do to get rid of that terrible idea?

Message 87 of 111
latest reply

i will also no longer make any purchase on ebay until this feature is removed.

Message 88 of 111
latest reply

When you use auto paid on ebay you are not give the option to use Paypal pay in 4, which I use for more expensive items. I too decided to stop placing bids or offers until this is eliminated. Maybe its time to take a break from Ebay. I always paid immediately and never had any issues. Ebay member since 2009.

Message 89 of 111
latest reply

I agree, "AUTO PAY" is an absolutely horrible idea. I have been a loyal eBay member for 23 years and I have never encountered such! It's as if those of us who pay for our auctions in a timely fashion are being punished for the non-paying bidders. Further, I like to use different methods of payment, including my bank account, credit card, debit card, and PayPal. When using PayPal on large purchases I sometimes will use the pay in 4 option. With auto pay this cannot be done.

I really enjoy eBay, but moving forward I will be shopping more on Etsy, Poshmark, and Facebook Market Place.

I will shop where I can chose my method of payment.

I was taught that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Why eBay chose to implement this policy is beyond me. 

Thank you for posting. I now must consider whether or not to delete my account. 

Message 90 of 111
latest reply