cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Over Charging Sales Tax

I just called ebay and informed them that they miscalculated and over charged me on the sales tax of my most recent purchase. Minnesota Sales Tax is 6.875% and our local City tax is 0.50%. That it adds up to 7.375%, but ebay charged me 8.2 % sales tax. Ebay agrees that they overcharged me on the sales tax, but they say that they have no way to resolve the issue at this time. They tell me their system automatically calculates the sales taxes and they have no way to override the system and no way to refund the difference. They offered me a $1. coupon for my inconvenience and assured me they will escalate the issue to their tax department for further research.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Ebay Over Charging Sales Tax

This is just **bleep**.

I'm being charged >17% tax and support is just ignoring me.

Order total

Subtotal USD 549.90
Shipping Free
Tax USD 93.62
Total USD 643.52
Message 31 of 45
latest reply

@mikos99sgs 

If you are in California, you may be seeing other taxes rolled into that sales tax line, such as eWaste fees on electronic devices.

"Please contact the Department of Tax and Fee Administration - opens in new window or tab for further information.
In addition to the sales tax collect and remit requirement, eBay is required by California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), to collect and remit the Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee. The eWaste Fee is a fee imposed on the retail sale or lease of certain electronic products that have been identified by the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). Additional information on the eWaste fee can be found on CDTFA's website - opens in new window or tab.

Please note, the fee will be included with the applicable taxes."

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

I was just overcharged on tax by about 2% for a California purchase. Ebay has been a den of thieves for years. Is it any surprise they're doing this? All their "mistakes" and policy changes are in their own favor and ignore fairness and justice to both sellers and buyers. Here's a novel idea: stop using Ebay and support you local retailer who actually has some integrity and cares about their customers and products. These days, I only use Ebay as a last resort when  a product is not available elsewhere.

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

I just did two transactions that should have resulted in 7% sales tax into NC.  One was going to charge me $16.20, rather than $4.20 and the other$3.95, rather than $.95.  Talked to someone at eBay who gave me **bleep** and said he would contact corporate and get back to me tomorrow.  So I have two transactions that have not been closed. Must be recent problem since several other transactions last couple of weeks tax number was correct.  Not sure how they will blame Coronavirus on this.

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

I just experienced this as well. I was charged 10% sales tax for an item. I live in NYC and sales tax is already pretty high. I contacted customer service and they were not helpful. I am totally here for this class action lawsuit. It’s ridiculous 

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

For NYC, the tax should be 8.875% of the buyer's total payment including shipping and handling.  Depending on the shipping cost, that could work out to be 10% of the selling price.

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

coupons- it is correct to charge tax on the full purchase price. eBay totals your purchase and applies tax.  Then when you pay for the item. A $5 coupon is the same as handing the clerk a five dollar bank note.

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

I'm guessing they are charging on the shipping fee as well
It's the crooked states way of taking even more money
as where I live they say cost of shipping gets added to the taxable amount as it is part of you buying the item
I Call it CROOKED
Message 38 of 45
latest reply

Ebay is pricing themselves into out of business I do not see them around is 20 years if they keep up as they are
so selling on ebay hits you with 10% on sale plus 10% on shipping plus Paypal fees add the sales tax to the items and your paying more in fees shipping and taxes than the item alone
NUTS!
Message 39 of 45
latest reply

All these states say they care about the poor yet taxes are based on cost of item and sometimes shipping is added to that and rich or poor you pay the same so they don't really care about the poor it's mouth service

anything to make a little more to spend on pet projects

Message 40 of 45
latest reply

They (EBAY) have over charged me in the last year over a $100.00.

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

I believe they are over charging all sellers and buyers, no way every state is almost 11% 

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

Me too me too!  Ebay was charging 1.5 times my state sales tax rate  which amounted to an extra 3.25% "Ebay" tax on purchases.  I've made about $10,000 in buys in the last few weeks.  Never looked at it although I was torqued that it was going on.  I did a little math and bingo what a rip off.  I'm going after a refund and or researching dispute on PayPal...and filing a deceptive trade practices suite in Tennessee which is treble damages and additional punitive damages as well.  that should be good for about $15k.  Its official Ebay is on my F-U list

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

yup it's theft by Ebay and Ebay nor the seller have away to pay that tax to your state or city, so when they over pay billions in taxes they will get a giant return with our money.

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.​​​​​​​

Message 45 of 45
latest reply