cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHECK YOUR 1099-K FOR ERRORS

I just reviewed my 1099-K form and it shows 2 times the actual sales each month and for the year.  I contacted eBay and got no help in getting it corrected and they could not answer me when I asked if I was charged fees based on the wrong figures and if I paid sales tax on the wrong figures.   They did confirm that the wrong numbers were indeed reported to the IRS.  Please check your numbers closely.

Ebay said it was up to me an accountant to figure it out.  

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I just downloaded mine too and their sales records are off by nearly $800.  Their records are horrible! The 1099-K is showing almost $800 less than what my monthly 'ebay invoices' show.    My records are precise to what they should be using my own methods as well as their monthly reports.  However what the hell they came up with on the 1099-K is beyond my comprehension.   This company seriously needs to get it together because they are going to cause major issues for all sellers soon.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

They actually doubled every month and the year on me.  It shows 2X the amount I actually did.

When I explained that my hearing for disability was this morning and I needed the correct 1099-K, they pretty much said "Oh Well".  Notice nobody from eBay is replying to this post, they probably don't care...at least until I get an attorney involved.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Notice nobody from eBay is replying to this post

This is a user forum; if you want a response from eBay you need to contact eBay directly by requesting a chat or call back from a customer service representative, or better yet by going through social media.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

As explained in other threads; the amounts shown per month are the day that the 'Payout' was sent and NOT when the transaction occurred. 

This would throw off every month and in January you may get some $ shown for that month from Sales done on Dec 29,30,31; and for sales done just this past December 28-31 ish... those sales will NOT be shown until Next Years 1099. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

There are a lot of threads about the duplication issue on the Selling board @globalsalesstore1. eBay staff has replied: link.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Although this appears to be true in theory, their numbers on my 1099-k still do not align even remotely close.  Their system is flawed, needs to be fixed, and that is the bottom line.   When I can sit here with all the paperwork in the world and show that their numbers are wrong, then in fact, their numbers are wrong.  Hell, I even had a 2nd accountant look them over today and the facts are the facts.... ebay's system is flawed and it is causing issues for many.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

There are others with your doubling issue.  Check out my comment and subscribe to this other thread. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/1099-K-Reported-Amounts-Double/m-p/32672615/highlight/true#M19...

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@itiswhatitis 

Are you ONLY including the Item Price plus Shipping in your book totals per transaction? (no sales tax)

I have over 3500 lines of transaction across the year, went through all and every month was off by a plus/minus of anywhere from $200 to $1200; but the overall Annual was only off by a few hundred (against over $100,000). 

None of the months lined up with my books, but I did not know they did not use transaction dates, they use 'payout' date. 

You can run a monthly in the 1099 details and see the 'transaction' date that they included in a particular month and see the variance.

If less than 1%, I just assume I missed something but it was not enough to worry about. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

UPDATE:

Yes, I was correct, they actually doubled my 1099-K form.  They sent over the correct one, last night.  I actually spoke to the corporate office and got them aware of a major problem they created for me.  I was going for disability (due to cancer) on the 3rd and needed my 1099-K form.  I did not get the corrected one and got denied disability due to this error.  I have to start the process all over again (which takes months) and now that I was dropped from disability, I have no insurance and it is a direct result of ebay's errors...they even told me these numbers were not sent to the IRS but they actually were!  Can we say big problem!!!

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The same thing happened to us and we don't sell on ebay.  They won't send a corrected 1099 so our accountant and attorney are trying to figure this out.  Their failure to comply is against the law.  I see that this is common.  I think a class action suit against ebay would be the only way they listen.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I have been on the phone every 4 days with Ebay.  My 1099-k amounts were close enough to being correct, not enough to make a difference.  But my problem is they used my SS number instead of my business TIN.  Now it appears to the IRS that I personally made double.  Up until yesterdays call they refused to tell me it was an issue they were aware of.  All they did was tell me to wait 48 hours for the correction.  So I call them and call them.  They put me off.  Now my business accountant has to do extra work to inform the IRS that I personally did not make that much...self employment is expensive enough with out this.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

They got mine wrong also and did nothing to correct it. Hours on the phone with them . 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

wow. just discovered the 1099 gaffes after getting ready to file. didnt even think about checking it earlier given how paypal one was working out fine for so many years. first year ebay handles it and this mess. mine is not even a simple double error but mismatch on the total and monthly boxes on 1099-k for every month (and the year total). 

Anyone know what the figures in the 1099-k  boxes are supposed to match with? The TOTAL SALES (incl taxes) of every month and year? I mean how could every month be off by some number? Its not double. i got on the phone and sent them some docs in email as proof of mismatch but not hopeful they can fix this before the 18th. what option do i have if i cant get a correct 1099-K by the 18th? do i just file by my own calculations and use numbers diff from the 1099-K? thats a sure-fire audit i guess? confused on how to proceed in case they dont have a corrected 1099-K back to me by the 18th

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@prabs403 wrote:

Anyone know what the figures in the 1099-k  boxes are supposed to match with? The TOTAL SALES (incl taxes) of every month and year? ...

@prabs403,

No, the 1099-K does not include the buyers' sales tax that was collected by eBay and submitted to the buyers' states.

The 1099-K includes the total payments received from buyers into your managed payments account:

• purchase price, plus
  • shipping price paid by the buyer

The 1099-K is not adjusted for any of business expenses, such as:

• returns
  • refunds
  • cancelled transactions
  • eBay fees
  • shipping labels purchased by the seller
  • packaging supplies

Message 15 of 21
latest reply