cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best offer accepted for AUCTION listing but "sold" screen shows "sold at asking price" no strikeover

I listed an item for a friend as an "auction" listing .  We got a low offer but my friend accepted the low offer.  I changed the listing to allow offers and then accepted the offer.  When we checked the sold screen, the item showed that it sold at original listing price WITHOUT a strikeover with a note that "best offer was accepted".  When we clicked on the item It showed that it sold at the original selling price with one bid.  My friend now thinks I sold the item at full price.  I explained the situation to her but there is still some doubt.  When items are sold as "buy now or best offer" the original price has a strikeover, which makes it clear that item was sold at lower price.  Many sellers sell for others and this can really cause a problem.    Customer service was NO help.  This appears to be a technical or policy issue -  has anyone else complained about this?   

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Best offer accepted for AUCTION listing but "sold" screen shows "sold at asking price" no strikeover

@avellina5 ,

FYI, now that you have received feedback for that item, the true selling price is shown on your feedback page. So your client can now see what the selling price was.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sounds like you ended the listing without cancelling the bids? If so then you sold it to the 1 bidder it had.

Is the user ID of the buyer the same user ID of the person who made the offer?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@avellina5   Show your friend a screen shot of what you were paid.    You can see that by going to payments summary and clicking the arrow to the right of the item:  

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/summary

The sold item price does show up sometimes without the strike through in search results.  I think that eBay is moving to this for all best offer items.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@avellina5 wrote:

I listed an item for a friend as an "auction" listing .  We got a low offer but my friend accepted the low offer.  I changed the listing to allow offers and then accepted the offer.  When we checked the sold screen, the item showed that it sold at original listing price WITHOUT a strikeover with a note that "best offer was accepted".  When we clicked on the item It showed that it sold at the original selling price with one bid.  My friend now thinks I sold the item at full price.  I explained the situation to her but there is still some doubt.  When items are sold as "buy now or best offer" the original price has a strikeover, which makes it clear that item was sold at lower price.  Many sellers sell for others and this can really cause a problem.    Customer service was NO help.  This appears to be a technical or policy issue -  has anyone else complained about this?   

Yes, that is how it always shows up when an auction-format listing is sold with a best offer.

You should be able to see the actual selling price when you view the bid history, although anyone other than the buyer or seller will see Best Offer - then the starting price, rather than the selling price. Only the buyer and the seller can see the actual selling price, so you should be able to show your friend the bid history on your computer. 

The Order Details page will also show the actual selling price so you can show your friend that page as well.

Here's the bid history from an auction I won with a best offer a few months ago. This is how it looks for the buyer and seller:

image.png

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Yes, the user ID is the same.  My problem is that the starting price appears in the sold listing without a strikeover.  When the owner of the item checks the "sold" listing it appears that I sold it at the original list price, not the lower offer price.  I should not have to send screen shots to owner/person I am selling for.  A strikeover or the actual accepted offer should show in the "sold" listing.  eBay should be able to come up with a solution.  I'm sure others are having this problem. I will not sell for others until a better system is developed by eBay.   

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your explanation and yes, I did send several screen shots of various screen pages, but this system puts the seller in a difficult/touchy situation.   I think eBay programmers should think things through before they offer new selling options.  I should not have to send screen shots to owner/person I am selling for.  A strikeover or the actual accepted offer/sold price should show in the "sold" listing.  eBay should be able to come up with a solution.  I'm sure others are having this problem. I will not sell for others until a better system is developed by eBay.   This format creates problems for the seller.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@avellina5 ,

Sellers did not want the lower price to be shown, because that would tell buyers how much lower the seller is likely to go. So eBay is showing the price the way that sellers wanted them to show it.

Sellers doing research on selling prices can use Terapeak ... but your auction listing that you accepted an offer on does not show up on Terapeak. I found the listing and looked for it on Terapeak, in case that would be helpful. It wasn't there.

Personally, I would not sell for anyone who didn't trust me to report the actual selling price. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Ebay was not designed for consignment sales.

You chose to do that.

You  need to do a better job of explaining to your own customer.

You have all the info on your own account. You need to share that info with your client.

The public ebay info is for PUBLIC views and should NOT show every behind the scene of a buyer and seller.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@avellina5 ,

FYI, now that you have received feedback for that item, the true selling price is shown on your feedback page. So your client can now see what the selling price was.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you.  I will also show her the feedback.  I still think the completed listing should at least have a strike over the list price for transparency.  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Perhaps just print the  invoice - you can blank out buyer name and address.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply