cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help id unique Villeroy & Boch Mercury backstamp on plate or trivet ?

Please help id this Villeroy & Boch piece that measures 4 3/16' diameter. I have other matching smaller plates that measure about 2" diameter that have other birds and butterflies.  I have found a similar backstamp on the Pm & m sight that shows their image number 2-23.  I'm having a problem reading the two names with the floral mark stamp below the Villeroy & Boch stamp. I have searched Google images, Ebay and Worthpoint with no luck. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I apologize, I meant to use the inch mark instead of the foot mark.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

That writing is in Sütterlin script; I'd need a clear, face-on picture to try and read it. It's been a while (and my eyesight is going south). Sütterlin is one of the worst writing styles as many letters look the same. Google it and try for yourself 🙂

Regards, Chris
( for more German porcelain IDs see: PorcelainMarksAndMore.com )
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for the information c.s.marshall. Here is a refined picture.  Regards, Anton.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for that image, saves me a real headache.

Top word reads "Steiermark" (engl.: 'Styria', a region in Southern Austria) the namesake of the series.

Bottom word is "handausgemalt" (roughly: 'filled in by hand'). The outlines are applied by transfer, the design itself is then filled in/colored by hand.

Regards, Chris
( for more German porcelain IDs see: PorcelainMarksAndMore.com )
Message 5 of 5
latest reply