cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why all of a sudden does ebay need our Social Security Number?

Why all of a sudden does ebay need our Social Security Number? I have been selling since 1999 and as though with their high selling fees and now paying taxes isn't bad enough now they want our social security number. I have deleted all my selling items because of this. This is deceitful and unnecessary, and never needed before. I obviously, like several other sellers cannot get a respond out of ebay. Maybe because they know its Illegal and not needed and hurting sellers trying to make a living.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: why all of a sudden does ebay need our Social Security Number?

Facebook Marketplace? BINGO! What a great idea, thanks! I may have sold my last item on eBay thanks to your comment!

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

2 years ago I sold an item for $700, which went to my paypal account.  A day later someone withdrew $500 from a paypal enabled ATM.   I spent hours on the phone with paypal and they refused to help.  Paypal like Ebay is not a financial institution and does not have the same protection for consumers such as banks do.  After a letter to the california attorney general I got my $500 back.  I immediately closed my paypal account.  I was happy when Ebay added my bank account as direct payment.  I set up a small account for Ebay.  But there is absolutely no way in hell as a private seller that I would trust a non bank online company with my SSN.  They have been hacked before.   That risk is not worth the $1000-$2000 that I make in sales (already with taxes).  Marketplace for me.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

This is mainly due to eBay's managed payment program and for tax purposes.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Paypal does not require a ssn.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@ralphmonster wrote:

Paypal does not require a ssn.

They do if they think you might reach the threshold for a 1099k. They have to follow the same rules as MP.

Posting patently false info is a violation of forum rules.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I never did give PayPal mine. Every time they asked, I ignored it. Now eBay is managing my payments. They only asked for the last 4 digits, and I provided it, but I’m thinking that gives them a way to get the rest. As of January, if you sell over $600, they have to send you a tax form, and also provide the info to the IRS. I haven’t received a request for my full SS #, so I assume they already have it.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

The Biden administration (overly invasive)  has decided to TAX all online sales over $600 beginning January 1, 2022. This includes Etsy & cash apps & Paypal, etc.  They want to see where every $ is going. There are other platforms and ways to sell goods. I will eliminate my listings after Christmas. Plus the Ebay guarantee for buyers to hose sellers with sending items back at the sellers expense because BUYERS  did not read a listing now do not like it, or can damage it themselves in 30 days and say it arrived that way etc. does not help.  There is slight inventory in the collectibles markets because so many are leaving EBAY; well they did it to themselves. What goes around comes around. 

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

The Biden administration did not decide to start taxing all online sales - existing federal law is now being enforced.  Pay your fair share.

The political rubbish spouted about this issue is just amazing when paying your taxes has been the law of the land through both administrations - knee jerk responses, I guess.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@jabel_3414 wrote:

The Biden administration (overly invasive)  has decided to TAX all online sales over $600 beginning January 1, 2022. This includes Etsy & cash apps & Paypal, etc.  They want to see where every $ is going. There are other platforms and ways to sell goods. I will eliminate my listings after Christmas. Plus the Ebay guarantee for buyers to hose sellers with sending items back at the sellers expense because BUYERS  did not read a listing now do not like it, or can damage it themselves in 30 days and say it arrived that way etc. does not help.  There is slight inventory in the collectibles markets because so many are leaving EBAY; well they did it to themselves. What goes around comes around. 

@jabel_3414 

The Biden administration did no such thing.  You were ALWAYS required by the IRS to report such income to them on your Federal tax return, but sadly many weren't doing what they were suppose to do so the IRS wanted the threshold lowered.  

This requirement is for EVERY Marketplace that has their own money processing program and for EVERY money processor like PayPal.  

Now you may want to do your homework BEFORE you make the decisions you state above.  While if you get a 1099K in 2022 you will need to show it on your Federal Income tax return, the mere fact you get a 1099K does NOT determine if you actually owe taxes on that money.  There are exceptions, like sellers that are only cleaning out their closets and selling their own stuff.

You have lots of time to get your head wrapped around this and decide if you will be OK or not.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 25 of 26
latest reply

WRONG ! YOU were required to report when earned $20,000 and over. Many people sell NEW factory goods, etc. I am selling my used goods that had TAXES paid on them when I purchased them or items that were GIFTED. This is a NOW NEW rule (and was printed in OCTOBER of this year). Perhaps people have a business with this. I (and many others) DO NOT.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply