cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay not using PayPal anymore?

I got a message from eBay saying to update my account details.

"It’s now simpler to get paid on eBay

Getting paid has changed: Fees and expenses will be deducted before you get paid out and the remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. Get set up in a few easy steps."

I primarily just tend to leave all the money I receive in my PayPal, so I wanted to ask for clarification: does this mean sellers can no longer use PayPal as a means of payment? We have to store the money in a bank account now?

I also saw something saying eBay raised their fees. Is that also true? 

Thanks for clarifying.

Message 1 of 496
latest reply
495 REPLIES 495

Re: eBay not using PayPal anymore?

I pay for all my labels through Paypal and all my purchasing is done through Paypal.  Though I have not had any balance in my account in many months.  Just routes to my bank account.  I was surprised I could use my Paypal Debit card regularly with zero balance.  So I can keep using Paypal to track business expenses.

Message 271 of 496
latest reply

@singular-source wrote:

Important to note, they take fees from the total transaction amount.  Including shipping AND taxes paid.  Which I think is ridiculous. Buyers are paying more and sellers are paying more.  

PP also charged their fees on the total amount received without regard to what it was for.  But you are correct and many of us have raised legit concerns about the FVF also being charged on it.  However MP isn't hiding this from us, they have been up front about this fact and it is on the policy pages for MP.  Some just didn't read the policy pages and assumed it was kept a secret, but that isn't correct.  STill I don't like it any better than you do.

If you have raised your pricing by a few cents to cover this additional fee, then it isn't anymore expensive for the seller since you are charging the buyer for it.  I agree with you it makes things a little more expensive for buyers at about 10 cents per $100 worth of sales.  And if you sell that item to someone that does not have a sales tax, you just pocket a little more.

@singular-source 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 272 of 496
latest reply

Ok

Message 273 of 496
latest reply

eBay wants the following set of information for each seller:

-Name

-home address

- bank account #
 - social security #
 - Date of birth

eBay’s  data repository with millions of lines of the above will eventually be hacked and the information will be stolen and sold, it’s too tempting.  For logins eBay is still using text based two factor authentication (2fa) and not using hardware keys like Yubico, so their approach to user account security is mediocre at best. 

I can’t bring myself to entrust eBay and the Dutch payment company with this info, so no more sales for me.  I wish there was a PP-only seller option. 

Message 274 of 496
latest reply

@pondnstream wrote:

-Name

-home address

- bank account #
 - social security #
 - Date of birth

eBay’s  data repository with millions of lines of the above will eventually be hacked and the information will be stolen and sold, it’s too tempting.  For logins eBay is still using text based two factor authentication (2fa) and not using hardware keys like Yubico, so their approach to user account security is mediocre at best. 

I can’t bring myself to entrust eBay and the Dutch payment company with this info, so no more sales for me.  I wish there was a PP-only seller option. 

My personal info has been stolen more often from government entities (including DoD) than it has from private companies.

Message 275 of 496
latest reply

@pondnstream wrote:

-Name

-home address

- bank account #
 - social security #
 - Date of birth

@pondnstream 

So are you of the opinion that Ebay should tell you and others how it is they protect our information, beyond just the basics they tell us?  How would that make us safer if everyone knew how the hen house was protected?

For 25+ years Ebay has protected our information and the one time Ebay did get hacked in 2014, they encryption they used to protect our information worked very well for all of us because no financial info was lost.  That in and of itself should tell you more about the security on Ebay than your assumption that somehow they were going to LESSEN the security because they have a bit more information.  That doesn't make any sense at all and isn't logical by any stretch of the imagination.

The information you stated above Ebay has had for many years on all of its sellers.  You are required to give your Name, address and date of birth when you sign up for Ebay.  Plus many sellers have had their bank account or credit card on file with Ebay for many years as the automatic payment method for their Seller Invoice each month.

It is very doubtful that the bulk of our money ever leave the USA because Ebay is using a company that was started in a different country.  In the USA their main office is located in San Francisco.  I believe they have other US offices too, but I'd have to look that up to be sure.

Message 276 of 496
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

My personal info has been stolen more often from government entities (including DoD) than it has from private companies.

Mine was stolen because someone in the corporate office at my last job (a retail chain) was an idiot who fell for a phishing email. No hacking involved.

Message 277 of 496
latest reply

Well, I too am just a small seller who primarily sells used or vintage items from my own collections or from local "picking" from time to time. So I also don't like this change for many of the reasons other small sellers have talked about here.  I will probably opt into it and try it before I consider it a deal breaker, but I am anxious about it and am scouring the internet for another option for selling.

The main problems for me are 1) no instant payment so having to choose whether to hold shipments or front money to ship items. 2) I wouldn't want to have eBay transactions in my normal bank account so I will have to open another with it's own fees and have to be careful to keep a balance in there I probably can't afford. 3) What will happen with unconfirmed shipping addresses? PayPal verified addresses so buyers couldn't easily scam you by having the item shipped somewhere bogus. 4) "sell to buy what you love"... isn't that what eBay says? That's what I used Paypal for mostly, my sales funded my purchases, all in and out of PayPal easy peasy. 4) People are saying "change your handling time" but doesn't eBay reward you for offering 1 day handling, so do I lose that advantage by protecting myself with a longer handling time? 

As I said, I am anxious about this, and wish eBay might have considered allowing sellers with fewer sales to keep their Paypal. 

Message 278 of 496
latest reply

@hooksandstuff 

You will be better off learning how the system actually works instead of assuming it doesn't do things you need.

"The main problems for me are 1) no instant payment so having to choose whether to hold shipments or front money to ship items."

The seller has a choice to make when they create a shipping label in Ebay once you are in MP.  It is down towards the bottom of the label.  It asks you if you want the shipping funded by your MP account or PP.  Seller choice.  Whatever you choose it will continue to default to that option for every label thereafter and until or if you ever come in and change that choice.  So you CAN have the money for shipping come from MP and you do NOT have to front the money.

"2) I wouldn't want to have eBay transactions in my normal bank account so I will have to open another with it's own fees and have to be careful to keep a balance in there I probably can't afford."

It is actually a good idea to have a dedicated checking account for your little business transactions on the internet.  It makes accounting so much easier too.  There are bank accounts out there that will likely suit your needs but you need to do a bit of research.  I use one with BOA.  As long as I have at least one electronically transferred deposit into my account each month, that is at least $250, I do not have any fees on the account.

"3) What will happen with unconfirmed shipping addresses? PayPal verified addresses so buyers couldn't easily scam you by having the item shipped somewhere bogus."

This hasn't been an issue for years.  PP has NOT required verified address on Ebay sales for a very long time.  In MP it is not an issue either.

"4) "sell to buy what you love"... isn't that what eBay says? That's what I used Paypal for mostly, my sales funded my purchases, all in and out of PayPal easy peasy."

Yes this is a hardship for some sellers.  I get that.  But you can easily make a transfer from your checking account to your PP account so you can purchase whatever you desire to.  It won't take but a few seconds more work that before.

"4) People are saying "change your handling time" but doesn't eBay reward you for offering 1 day handling, so do I lose that advantage by protecting myself with a longer handling time? "

Keep in mind that many of the people saying this have not even used MP yet.  There is no need to do this but I know some think it gives the seller some sense of security.  I don't get it, but if it makes you feel better, then do it.  

A couple of things to remember.  If you are going to hold shipments until the money arrives in your bank.  Make sure you change your handling times on your listings.  You are still required to ship within your stated handling time and the buyer is considered to have paid for their purchases from the moment they issue their payment to the seller.  If you don't change your handling time, you will be causing harm to the health of your selling account as you will start getting late shipment defects.  Which get too many and it will drop your selling status and may even kick the 5% penalty fee on all your sales.

Keep in mind that once a buyer submits their payment to Ebay for the purchase of an item from you, that payment is real.  The buyer has NO ability to change it, cancel it or in any other way mess with it.  It exists.  It will go through the process of MP and will arrive at your bank a few days later.  A buyer can't do anything about that at this point, any more than they could have when we were in PayPal.

Also keep in mind that 1 day handling looks great to your buyers, however there is no added advantage or protection with Ebay for doing that.  

It is a site wide change.

As I said, I am anxious about this, and wish eBay might have considered allowing sellers with fewer sales to keep their

Message 279 of 496
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@hooksandstuff 

You will be better off learning how the system actually works instead of assuming it doesn't do things you need.

~Thanks very much for your reply. I did say I will be trying it before I give up on it.

But I think that since you apparently have close to 1500 items for sale, and I have 26, that possibly my issues would not make sense to you.

"The main problems for me are 1) no instant payment so having to choose whether to hold shipments or front money to ship items."

The seller has a choice to make when they create a shipping label in Ebay once you are in MP.  It is down towards the bottom of the label.  It asks you if you want the shipping funded by your MP account or PP.  Seller choice.  Whatever you choose it will continue to default to that option for every label thereafter and until or if you ever come in and change that choice.  So you CAN have the money for shipping come from MP and you do NOT have to front the money.

~Since I have so few items for sale I have little "working capital" which is why I am concerned about paying to ship an item before I have the funds from the sale in my account. Unless you are saying I can choose to use money that eBay has collected but it hasn't hit my bank account yet,  It makes no difference if I use My MP account or my Paypal, if I don't have it there. If it IS available for the shipping costs, then that's ok.

"2) I wouldn't want to have eBay transactions in my normal bank account so I will have to open another with it's own fees and have to be careful to keep a balance in there I probably can't afford."

It is actually a good idea to have a dedicated checking account for your little business transactions on the internet.  It makes accounting so much easier too.  There are bank accounts out there that will likely suit your needs but you need to do a bit of research.  I use one with BOA.  As long as I have at least one electronically transferred deposit into my account each month, that is at least $250, I do not have any fees on the account.

~OK, again, with so few sales I am not in your league.

"3) What will happen with unconfirmed shipping addresses? PayPal verified addresses so buyers couldn't easily scam you by having the item shipped somewhere bogus."

This hasn't been an issue for years.  PP has NOT required verified address on Ebay sales for a very long time.  In MP it is not an issue either.

~I hope this is right, back when payPal made us all get our addresses connfirmed, they made such a big deal out of it it stuck in my head as a concern.

"4) "sell to buy what you love"... isn't that what eBay says? That's what I used Paypal for mostly, my sales funded my purchases, all in and out of PayPal easy peasy."

Yes this is a hardship for some sellers.  I get that.  But you can easily make a transfer from your checking account to your PP account so you can purchase whatever you desire to.  It won't take but a few seconds more work that before.

~transfers from my bank to PayPal take 5 to 7 days.

"4) People are saying "change your handling time" but doesn't eBay reward you for offering 1 day handling, so do I lose that advantage by protecting myself with a longer handling time? "

Keep in mind that many of the people saying this have not even used MP yet.  There is no need to do this but I know some think it gives the seller some sense of security.  I don't get it, but if it makes you feel better, then do it. 

Keep in mind that once a buyer submits their payment to Ebay for the purchase of an item from you, that payment is real.  The buyer has NO ability to change it, cancel it or in any other way mess with it.  It exists.  It will go through the process of MP and will arrive at your bank a few days later.  A buyer can't do anything about that at this point, any more than they could have when we were in PayPal.

~I hope that is right, but still it is not available to me till it gets there.

Also keep in mind that 1 day handling looks great to your buyers, however there is no added advantage or protection with Ebay for doing that.  

~ I had the impresssion that 1 day handling time and 30 day returns meant a good seller rating, if I'm wrong, OK.

So again, thanks for your reply, I will see how it goes but I still think smaller sellers would have benefitted by an option to stay with paypal.

Message 280 of 496
latest reply

As for as you shipping you may not have a issue based on my experience as a small seller.

Check out this item I just sold.  It shows $14.46 processing.  I do not have this money yet.  I will not see the money into my bank account until Tuesday or maybe Wednesday.

eBay has already taken their fees and will directed the rest to my account.  

However for the shipping that I purchased on eBay, they have allowed me to use the money that is processing to purchase the shipping and it shows my balance as -$7.76.    Basically eBay has fronted me the money to pay for shipping.

From Paid to Processing has never been more than a few minutes for me.  I notice a few days ago it took about 15 minutes.

Once the money has finished processing the -$7.76 will be deducted and the balance will be forwarded to my Financial Institution. 

If I sell something else today it will be the same.  The money will be in the processing phase and I will be allowed to purchase shipping based on having enough money that is being processed to cover the shipping.

To be honest I have never had a issue not having the funds available to purchase shipping (from eBay) and it has always worked out just fine. 

If you are purchasing shipping from somewhere then other than eBay, then yes you will have to front the shipping fees.

As a small seller it is manageable to keep up with the money flow on my own.

Anyway, Good Luck to you.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 153622.png

Message 281 of 496
latest reply

@hooksandstuff 

Oh don't be so sure that I can't understand how it is for casual sellers.  I've been around long enough and help plenty of sellers of all sizes.  So don't count me out.

~Since I have so few items for sale I have little "working capital" which is why I am concerned about paying to ship an item before I have the funds from the sale in my account. Unless you are saying I can choose to use money that eBay has collected but it hasn't hit my bank account yet,  It makes no difference if I use My MP account or my Paypal, if I don't have it there. If it IS available for the shipping costs, then that's ok.

Yes that is what I'm saying.  You can CHOOSE to have the shipping label paid from your MP account if you want.

MP Funding a Label.JPG

~ I had the impresssion that 1 day handling time and 30 day returns meant a good seller rating, if I'm wrong, OK.

In your earlier post you didn't say anything about return policies, just the handling time.  Either way it doesn't.  For TRS If they offer 1 day shipping AND 30 days or longer FREE returns, then they will qualify for the TRS discount on the listings that they have that on.  

You are going to be disappointed as Ebay is not going to reverse course on this.  It will go site wide in time.

Message 282 of 496
latest reply

I'm done with this scam company. I'm tired of ebay jacking sellers around and lying and their lame fan base providing false coverage and propping them up. I'm out and they are not getting my last fee payment go ahead and ban my sellers account 

Message 283 of 496
latest reply

Thanks, that reassures me on that point. 

Message 284 of 496
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@hooksandstuff 

Oh don't be so sure that I can't understand how it is for casual sellers.  I've been around long enough and help plenty of sellers of all sizes.  So don't count me out.

Yes that is what I'm saying.  You can CHOOSE to have the shipping label paid from your MP account if you want.

MP Funding a Label.JPG

Message 285 of 496
latest reply