cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using person checking accounts for payments will end small sellers using ebay

darrenli1984
Adventurer

I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1998.  I do not have a business that sells on ebay, I just sell the occasional item like my kids' used musical instruments.  I am currently trying to list my daughter's French horn which is about $2000.  I discovered that the only way to get paid now is to provide ebay with my checking account.  That will never happen.  Requiring bank account information will kill individual sellers on ebay.  When I am on ebay trying to buy something, I am looking for an individual selling items they no longer need.  I am not looking for a company selling their products as a business.  I currently have a balance of less than $100 because a couple of months ago I sold a difficult to find Vitamix switch.  It sold but that money is sitting in my account with no way to get it.  I can't use it for credit on any purchases and ebay will not put it in PayPal.  Clearly ebay is trying to merge into an Amazon model and get away from people like you and me buying and selling their stuff.  I hope ebay reverts back to the previous model and allow small sellers to continue.  

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Using person checking accounts for payments will end small sellers using ebay

It's doubtful that eBay will revert back to the previous model, i.e., Paypal.

There are still many, many small sellers here doing well.  

Most people probably have opened a separate checking account for the sole purpose of depositing their eBay funds.  

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Re: Using person checking accounts for payments will end small sellers using ebay

I happen to be one of those small sellers who 'opted in'  to MP during August, 2019. I happen to use my (decades old) personal checking account. I'm telling you that nothing nefarious has gone on in over 2 years. Don't be afraid.

I'd be wanting the funds from the Vitamix switch, too. If you onboard, it'll come quicker than retrieving it from your state's Unclaimed Funds Dept., I'd bet.

Were I in your shoes, I'd fear listing a $2K item on eBay more than registering for MP. Good luck, however you proceed.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

@darrenli1984 

The Managed Payments system is fairly new to Ebay, but other sites have been using programs like it for years, and just like here, the small sellers are doing just fine with it.

I'm a small seller and I'm not planning on going anywhere.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 4 of 36
latest reply

This small seller is still here and actually prefers managed payments.   Other sites (Poshmark, Mercari, Etsy, etc.) also use managed payments and have for years.  They're not "Amazon models".

People need to stop throwing obstacles into their path and then falling over them. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 36
latest reply

I'm a casual seller and really like managed payments. I simply opened a separate checking account and it was extremely easy to do. I even did it online without leaving my home. Couldn't have been easier for me. Perhaps if you look into this more you will find it's quite easy and you can still sell that occasional item from your home. Best of luck to you....

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@darrenli1984 wrote:

I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1998.  I do not have a business that sells on ebay, I just sell the occasional item like my kids' used musical instruments.  I am currently trying to list my daughter's French horn which is about $2000.  I discovered that the only way to get paid now is to provide ebay with my checking account.  That will never happen.   

...and it doesn't have to. In fact, it's probably better (and certainly more logical) to isolate your eBay business in a separate checking account that won't intermingle funds with your family finances, so go for it. It's possible to find a bank or credit union (I'm using the latter) that won't have monthly charges or a limit on on-line deposits or withdrawals, so you can do your eBay business separately.

At the end of the year, your accounting for eBay transactions will also be neatly separated from your family funds.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Since it already happened, aren't you kind of 'beating a dead horse?'

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Most sellers DO NOT use a personal bank account for eBay, they use a bank account specifically for eBay transactions and/or all their online selling banking needs.

eBay's MP system is the way it is and will be here on eBay...there's NO going back to PayPal as a payment processor.

Sellers either adapt,adjust and carry on OR go elsewhere...> seller's choice...

Buyers will go where they find what they are needing/wanting/searching for and their method of payment has many choices...

Although I am one of those sellers who has dragged thy feet and not yet signed up for MP, my choice to wait it out had nothing to do with changing to a bank deposit method of payment, but more to do with the fact of the process to do so as I have not had a bank account for decades...plus the fact the MP system has had so many issues/problems/glitches for sellers here in Canada, and that is ongoing...

I am but a small casual seller but still keeping an eye on all of this and an open mind to see how it all transpires and slowly smooths itself out. With the category changes, which directly affect some of the categories I sell in, I am waiting out those changes/issues/problems/adjustments as well...

The majority of sellers will indeed carry on, but for those who think eBay will change its mind, well that's never gonna happen... so deal with it by taking whatever path that bests suits your selling needs...

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

"I currently have a balance of less than $100 because a couple of months ago I sold a difficult to find Vitamix switch.  It sold but that money is sitting in my account with no way to get it."

There actually is a way for you to get that money.

"I discovered that the only way to get paid now is to provide ebay with my checking account."

There you go.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

"There are still many, many small seller here doing well." First of all, not true. Doing well was getting paid by the seller immediately via Paypal.  If you sell anything on Thursday or Friday, you won't have your funds in your account for 3 to 5 days...as no transactions are sent via Ebay or received by your bank on Saturday or Sunday.

Ebay is as crooked as the rest of corporate America. While a lot of us are stuck with Ebay, I'd say 90% are not pleased at all with their unilateral decision to drop PayPal. Clearly, it was for their benefit and not the sellers. Small sellers gave Ebay their start and a leg up. The action they took was totally unnecessary and done knowing it would hurt the folk who have been their step ladder to competing with Amazon.

So we're all stuck. Of course, if you have a back up pool of money, you're not affected as others. But you're still settling with a system that is akin to the rest of crooked America, including the banks.

They pay no taxes. Nada. But create rules they wouldn't abide by in a million years. Wall Street and Corporate America are for the most part bona fide criminals and break the law every single day. And additionally pay NO TAXES.  And when they commit crimes that cause an economical crises effecting your average American, Congress uses our taxpayer money to bail them out.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

All transactions on Ebay are business transactions, there are NO personal transactions on Ebay.  

Until you register for Managed Payments you won't be able to get that $100 that is sitting there.  

It is of course your right to not want to do this, but you need to be aware that over 95% of Ebay active sellers are register in MP.  

I'm not sure why you are fearful of attaching your checking account, but what I've recommended to many sellers is just open a new checking account and attach it to your MP account.  Keep it separate from your personal account.  That is what I've done for years.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@ayesha41 wrote:

"There are still many, many small seller here doing well." First of all, not true. Doing well was getting paid by the seller immediately via Paypal.  If you sell anything on Thursday or Friday, you won't have your funds in your account for 3 to 5 days...as no transactions are sent via Ebay or received by your bank on Saturday or Sunday.

Ebay is as crooked as the rest of corporate America. While a lot of us are stuck with Ebay, I'd say 90% are not pleased at all with their unilateral decision to drop PayPal. Clearly, it was for their benefit and not the sellers. Small sellers gave Ebay their start and a leg up. The action they took was totally unnecessary and done knowing it would hurt the folk who have been their step ladder to competing with Amazon.

So we're all stuck. Of course, if you have a back up pool of money, you're not affected as others. But you're still settling with a system that is akin to the rest of crooked America, including the banks.

They pay no taxes. Nada. But create rules they wouldn't abide by in a million years. Wall Street and Corporate America are for the most part bona fide criminals and break the law every single day. And additionally pay NO TAXES.  And when they commit crimes that cause an economical crises effecting your average American, Congress uses our taxpayer money to bail them out.

😣

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

You are not going to believe this when I tell you this,,, you don't have to give them your personal checking account! Yep, it is true. You have to give them "A" checking account. Most of us who sell on here regularly set up an account exclusively for ebay sales.   

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Another fake new superstar.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply