cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puerto Rico is not a foreign country except in eBayland.

For those of us in MP one should note that eBay is assessing a "foreign transaction fee" for purchases from Puerto Rico.  Puerto Rico is not a foreign country.  Puerto Ricans are American citizens.  This fee is just WRONG.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Just out of curiosity how much was the fee and was is based off of a  percentage the buyer paid or a flat fee.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It appears to be approximately 1.6% of the sale price.  A sale of $8.08 and FTF of 13¢.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I just shipped on September 2nd :

San Lorenzo

Puerto Rico
$21.00 cost of Goods
$ 8.00 cost to ship Priority Flat Rate (small)
Total cost to buyer $29.00
Fee $4.00
Expected Delivery by Wednesday, I believe.
I have never had problems with shipping to Puerto Rico and I always try and add a little something in to help the community, it possible.
Grandma
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I ship to PR quite often with no problem.  I was just surprised to see that eBay charged me a foreign transaction fee for a domestic sale.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It is not right but I guess you could have the MP call you incase it is a glitch or error. Us territory US currency no exchanging 1 currency to another which is what that fee should be fore. In the contact us select fee's and invoice as the reason code. 

Most likely they are doing this for extra fee's from the seller.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I wonder if they will try to charge such a fee to AFO if service members abroad make purchases?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I am trying so hard to stay informed, but it gets overwhelming.  I wade through the excess anger and frustrations to try and get to the informative parts that I can actually use.  Feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight.  My heart hurts for all those people, our people in Puerto Rico.  Sorry....A bit emotional.  

Everyone be kind to each other, its fine to disagree, but that only makes us interestingly human.  I wish you all the very best in sales and your journey.

Grandma

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I had a package go to Puerto Rico for $2.93--only thing is, it was suppose to go the NJ. 😐 Still on its way.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

We've noticed that when a buyer has incorrectly set up their address, putting PR as the Country instead of the State as needed for USPS, the purchase is classified as International. If the buyer has set up their account and/or their shipping information this way, eBay would need to write code into their system to identify and correct this error. I'm guessing this is pretty far down their queue of priorities at the moment. We would recommend you make sure all your buyers from PR understand how to notate their address correctly as a first step to fixing this issue. Knowledge is power. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @div_style, all,

I just wanted to provide clarification on this. Our systems previously assessed the international fee on US territories, but we are updating the system to treat US to US Territory transactions as domestic, so the international fee will not apply.

We will be providing a more formal update shortly.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply