cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial refund for an abusive buyer

I have been selling for over 20 years on eBay and am VERY careful  to be accurate on descriptions and photos. The buyer (with zero feedback) claimed the item was not as pictured or described and eBay ok'd a refund. It was exactly as described, and I would have just given the refund - but the item was returned damaged. He even admitted he damaged it (I think also used it as it's NOT in the same shape as shipped) and then threatened a bad feedback  if I didn't settle for just a  $5 deduction in the refund which doesn't even cover the return shipping I paid let alone a devalued item. I will give him a reduced refund but the refund option is only for a full refund. I can't change the amount. I did report him as an abusive buyer but am still requested to give the refund.

Here is his reply to me - "Please refund and deduct $5. Otherwise I will dispute the charge. Yes you displayed stuff in pix but I had no idea that it was merely a course schedule and some loose sheets v a trading manual that explains procedures for flying the citation. Maybe be clearer. If the cover is slightly torn it is because it was not packaged properly for shipment. How did I know when I opened it that it was so fragile. Give it a rest dude and give me a refund. I could write a crap review which I will do. I don’t care about your great other reviews. This is not what I expected. Thanks. And geez…chill out."

How do I give a partial refund?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Partial refund for an abusive buyer

I often instantly cancel purchases for ZERO feedback buyers for self preservation.

If the buyer threatens you with feedback blackmail you must report them to eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

In order to keep up to 50% of a return, there are qualifications required on your original listing. Since the system isn't allowing you any of those options you obviously didn't meet the criteria. That's also not a threat of bad feedback it is a statement, and it is correct. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You are wrong any mention for leaving a negative feed back is a threat. Or why would he mention it?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Report him to ebay Call his bluff tell him to file a return and return the item and then when it returns damage appeal the case that it came back damaged He threatened you with negative feed back I would have been on the phone letting e bay know

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I often instantly cancel purchases for ZERO feedback buyers for self preservation.

If the buyer threatens you with feedback blackmail you must report them to eBay.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It is not feedback extortion to say I will leave a negative if I don't  get my item or a refund.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I was not able to get the option for a call  -  but I did chat with an agent, explained that the buyer falsely claimed the item was 'not as pictured' (they were the photos of the exact item!) and 'not as described' (it WAS), and that he threatened a neg, plus he admitted damaging the item. She looked into my record and deemed me worthy of a full refund of funds held in dispute plus the buyer got a report of abusive buyer and got all of his money back (which I felt was rather generous). So it is settled and everybody's happy. (AND I BLOCKED THE BUYER!) It's just too bad he will be able to do this to someone else and get away with it.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I did meet criteria and got all of my money back plus protection from a neg.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I don't understand why threatening a neg isn't a threat. If I didn't follow HIS agenda he would neg me! That is NOT allowed.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

That's good advice, lesson learned! Thank you!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Why isn't it? I don't think it is allowed.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You "often instantly cancel purchases for ZERO feedback buyers for self preservation."

Yeah, let's all do that.

Just idle curiosity:  What reason do you give for cancellation of all those ZERO feedback buyers?  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply