cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opt out of managed payments, go back to only accepting PayPal

I hate managed payments and I want to go back to getting money for my sales via PayPal.

I am not a professional seller. I only need eBay to sell things I no longer need. Now, I have to enter my Social Security Number to verify my bank, which is absolutely ridiculous. Why would I give my SSN to a ecommerce website? To make matters worse the fees have actually gone UP! I just sold a pair of headphones for $65 and the fee collected was $8.33 or 12.8%, more expensive than it used to be. Why change something when there was nothing wrong in the first place? 

Is there a way to opt out of managed payments and only accept PayPal? 

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Opt out of managed payments, go back to only accepting PayPal

I said "If you want to shill for eBay...that's cool"

BTW....any link to that lawsuit that you say PayPal was sued for earning interest?   Would be genuinely interested in seeing that as it is a standard business practice to use interest bearing accounts.  

Message 76 of 82
latest reply

@north40sales wrote:

I said "If you want to shill for eBay...that's cool"

BTW....any link to that lawsuit that you say PayPal was sued for earning interest?   Would be genuinely interested in seeing that as it is a standard business practice to use interest bearing accounts.  

Name calling is completely unnecessary in any form.  You've made assumptions by your own admission and then get upset when others don't agree with you.  We aren't in the schoolyard, we are all adults here.

I was doing a bit more research on your assertions and link you provided earlier.  Before this post I wasn't quite ready to respond.  It does seem that I remembered this particular lawsuit differently that it actually was for.  It only pertains to held funds and while when I talked about it I always used the words Held funds, I think I wasn't quite stating it correctly.

Many posters have posted about MP holding funds on them for whatever reason there may be.  That would be held funds if in fact MP is holding them.

In thinking upon this a bit more, since Ebay doesn't literally have the money, they would have no ability to earn interest on the funds held or not, as they don't have it.  Adyen has the actual money, now maybe Adyen earns interest, IDK.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 77 of 82
latest reply

@north40sales wrote:

As I've said NUMEROUS times already.....I DON'T CARE either way whether eBay earns interest on undistributed payouts to sellers.   

If you don't care, why are you arguing the point? Your posts seem to imply that you do care about this issue. You've argued that they do collect interest on undistributed seller payouts in several posts.

@north40sales wrote:

However, you certainly take a different approach than mam98031 in that you are saying eBay disburses funds to the seller while mam98031 says that Adyen handles that and eBay has no contact with the actual buyer's funds.

I do not speak for any poster other than myself, and I've not addressed the "approach" you've described, and I've not read the post(s) on that topic.

@north40sales wrote:

I have no need to review their tax and income statements like you did.

I'm not referring to their "tax and income statements." I'm referring to their 10-K filings.

@north40sales wrote:

(Did you ever find a line showing interest income or investment income?)

I've addressed this in a previous post. You have misquoted my statement.

@north40sales wrote:

I've never said eBay was lying about anything and I have no need to send them a letter. 

Your statement:

"eBay can chose to just let it sit in their account and do nothing or use that money for overnight CD's that almost every large business does to earn fractional interest."

Another poster's reply:

"Ebay has repeatedly said they don't earn interest on held funds."

Your reply:

"I am sure that eBay would like people to think that they don't earn interest on the float...but I would think its almost a certainty that they do...and why wouldn't they.  I have never said that I disagree with them earning interest on float funds.....every large business does it and its probably part of their business model."

"If eBay does not earn interest on the funds while its in their custody, they are fiscally irresponsible for ignoring an obvious revenue stream."

Here's eBay's statement concerning the earning of interest on undistributed seller payouts:

From Have questions about payments? Check out this post for helpful information. 

Managed Payments Interest.PNG

From a discussion board thread, posted by an eBay employee when asked whether eBay earns money on undistributed seller payouts:

Charles on whether eBay earns interest.png

Now, in conclusion, I will not be reading or replying to any more posts on this thread. The credibility and veracity just aren't to a level that would encourage me to continue a protracted discussion with another member.

Message 78 of 82
latest reply

was not name calling.  Shill is a standard everyday term...but take it how you want to. 

So now there is no lawsuit for Paypal earning interest?  Curious change seeing that you seemed so convinced earlier, referencing it no fewer than three times.

If Adyen has the actual money like you say, how does MP "hold funds" if they never get the money?  

Then again, you said earlier that eBay does get the money for taxes, so now eBay gets the money?  

You said earlier that eBay does not earn interest on the money....but now you are saying Adyen does?

Kinda confusing when the story keeps flexing and changing.  

But hey, whatever way you think it works is fine by me.  You can have your opinion and I can have mine.  

Seems that we are pretty much going in circles at this point on this topic. 

Message 79 of 82
latest reply

typical....bluster and cut and paste with a "i'm done with this thread, don't bother me anymore cos I won" kinda of reply.  

Anyway, if anyone wants to know how the "Float" works, this is an excellent article from 2008 that describes how PayPal did it then.  

https://money.cnn.com/2008/02/26/smbusiness/paypal_float.fsb/

Message 80 of 82
latest reply

Ebay is going to lose a lot of good buyers with this stupid new policy. I am a buyer with 20+ years & 100% positive feedback and have encounted asenine headaches getting sellers to refund over charges for items that have been arranged with a seller for combined shipping on multiple purchases, sometimes hundreds of $$. Ebay suggested I contact sellers to ask for a refund of the over charges for S&H.  IF THEY DIDN'T SCREW UP THE PLATFIRM PUNISHING GOOD BUYERS FOR DEADBEATS THAT DON'T PAY & CREATING HEADACHES FOR SELLERS WITH MULTIPLE PURCHASES FROM THE SAME BUYER, this wouldn't be an issue, they created the problem, NOW FIX IT!

Message 81 of 82
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 82 of 82
latest reply