cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments, when do you ship?

I'm not enrolled in managed payments yet.

I'm looking at a flow chart on this ebay  information page:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

Step 1.  Once the buyer has paid, the funds show as pending in the Seller Hub.  It's time to ship the order.  

Once the bank settles transactions to ebay, funds show as available. up to 2 business days.

Step 2. The payout is initiated daily or weekly based on my selection.  1 - 4 days to get into my checking account.

Looks like a payment could take up to 6 days to get to my bank, am I reading that right?

I'm currently using paypal, and if a payment is pending I'm told specifically not to ship until the funds are shown as available.  Most paypal transactions show funds available immediately with the order being placed.  I transfer the funds to my bank, usually the whole process takes 2 days.

Is there a mechanism in Managed Payments that holds funds in limbo until the items is shipped.  I'm not comfortable shipping something with only a pending payment status.  Actually, until I get comfortable with MP, I'm inclined not to ship until the funds are in my checking  account.  I'm thinking about extending my handling time to at least 4 days.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@va-8501 wrote:

OK, OK, OK, I feel better now, it's unanimous, I don't have to wait until the funds are in my checking account.  Thanks for all your replies.

I currently have  2 day handling, but normally ship within 24 hours except Sundays & holidays.

So I feel better about leaving that as is.

I'm not at all concerned about availability of funds. 

If I can, I will continue to pay for my shipping labels with a cash back CC.

Does anyone feel that their sales volume has increased as a result of moving to Managed Payments?

Then just let me add that you might consider selecting Weekly Payouts when you enter MP.  You can't select it before then, it is something you do after you are activated.  IMHO it is just smoother and a whole lot easier on bookkeeping.

This is just an odd year all the way around.  It is hard to say really.  I don't think there has been any increase due to MP.  It can't cause a decrease but this year is so unusual for an abundance of reasons.  Starting in March my sales have been higher than any previous year since 2013/2014.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

For two of my stores that are in MP I usually get funds in my checking account in a day or two (but not on weekends.)  When eBay says the buyer has paid that means that eBay has the money and seller will get it shortly, and since they buyer has paid the item should be shipped.  I've been doing that in one store for a year and a half with no problems.  I pay for shipping labels out of pending funds.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@va-8501 wrote:

OK, OK, OK, I feel better now, it's unanimous, I don't have to wait until the funds are in my checking account.  Thanks for all your replies.

I currently have  2 day handling, but normally ship within 24 hours except Sundays & holidays.

So I feel better about leaving that as is.

I'm not at all concerned about availability of funds. 

If I can, I will continue to pay for my shipping labels with a cash back CC.

Does anyone feel that their sales volume has increased as a result of moving to Managed Payments?

@va-8501  I have the same shipping/handling procedure as you do and there's no problem shipping from "pending payments".  I'm on weekly disbursal and it doesn't take "4-7 days" before this payment hits the bank. It goes on Tuesday, arrives Wednesday.  I do bank at a larger bank.

MP made no difference in my sales - I think this is a myth.  In fact, my sales have been possibly better because there are more ways to pay.  Also, I'm not a '2.99' seller - physical stores don't hold up your purchase until your payment clears various banks, neither do I.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I thought this was going to be a problem and so waited before signing up for MP.

Now Ebay is sending notice that the will cancel existing listing on 6/15 if i don't join MP.

But how could anyone feel that it is better, or even ok, to ship stuff before you are paid?

It makes absolutely no sense to me.  With 20 years on Ebay, and watching it deteriorate into a professional and foreign seller hell hole from the once great user to user market place that it was, this seems to be the final nail in their coffin.  I see the advantage to Ebay as having the ability to reach a wider audience but Craig's isn't bad and thought I don't use it I understand Facebook also has local selling groups.

Who thinks they will find many people like me that just don't sign up for this new way of doing business and they end up going back to Paypal with their tail between their legs?

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@mutoe wrote:

I thought this was going to be a problem and so waited before signing up for MP.

Now Ebay is sending notice that the will cancel existing listing on 6/15 if i don't join MP.

But how could anyone feel that it is better, or even ok, to ship stuff before you are paid?

It makes absolutely no sense to me.  With 20 years on Ebay, and watching it deteriorate into a professional and foreign seller hell hole from the once great user to user market place that it was, this seems to be the final nail in their coffin.  I see the advantage to Ebay as having the ability to reach a wider audience but Craig's isn't bad and thought I don't use it I understand Facebook also has local selling groups.

Who thinks they will find many people like me that just don't sign up for this new way of doing business and they end up going back to Paypal with their tail between their legs?

While all of that may make sense to you, the facts are millions of sellers are signing up for MP.  Certainly some sellers will leave Ebay that do not want to be in MP, but far more will stay as selling on Ebay is profitable for them.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

How does ebay advance me money for shipping before funds are available in my bank account?

Thanks!

Stephen 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@steza4594 wrote:

How does ebay advance me money for shipping before funds are available in my bank account?

Thanks!

Stephen 

@steza4594 

It appears you don't understand how MP works.  MP does NOT fund shipping labels from your checking account ever.

The following links are very informative and easy to read. Lots of great information in these articles that contain information you should be aware of. After you read them you will likely have questions. Come on back and ask whatever you need to.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/How-does-the-updated-eBay-payments-experience-work-...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Have-questions-about-payments-Check-out-this-post-f...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Infographic-How-payouts-work-when-eBay-manages-paym...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payment-Resources/Changes-to-the-eBay-invoicing-process/ba-p/32004201

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payment-Resources/Know-your-options-to-pay-eBay-fees-and-selling-costs...

Message 22 of 22
latest reply