cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments and PO Box Address

I've seen multiple posts where having a PO Box in your information is causing the problem. So I gotta ask:

Exactly what will that physical address be used for? I just looked at my information and under Registration address, email and phone number it says this is your main CONTACT address. So I ask again ... contact how? Are you going to come to my house to make sure I exist? Are you going to send me mail to this address (it won't get delivered)? Do you think this will be the address in my bank account statement (it won't)?  It will show on my driver's license because if they stop you and ask for your license they have to know where you live.

And while I was in my account settings looking at the various addresses you can have I did not see one single place where my birthdate was listed or even a place to put it. I did sign up in 1998 and I don't remember even being asked for my birthdate at that time.

So I ask again ... dear eBay Managed Payments team ... what exactly are you going to use that physical address for?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Managed Payments and PO Box Address

Think I would use my post office physical address and Zip code,  with the #NUM.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

I have the same question. I don't get USPS mail at my physical address, only UPS/FedEx.  I have to use a PO Box for USPS mail. 

I asked at the Post Office, and they had me use: 12345 Anywhere St.  #NUM,  City,  State,  Zip...where the  #NUM is the po box numbers.

Seems to work on all carriers so far, but would managed payments accept it?

@readabouthorses@krazzykats and anyone else who wants to do this ...

FYI, using an address like this is called Street Addressing by USPS. It's a service that was started in 2012, and it's not available at all post offices, and you have to complete a permission form before you use the Street Addressing Service ... if you don't have a completed form on file, any mail that is addressed this way may be returned to the sender.

I would expect that USPS would make this available for all people who don't have mail delivery available to their houses, but I would definitely check with the post master before using it.

USPS > Postal Addressing Standards > 2 Postal Addressing Standards > 28 Post Office Box Addresses > 284 PO Box Street Addressing

https://www.usps.com/pobox/customer-agreement-for-premium-po-box-service-enhancements.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_office_box#Street_Addressing

image.png

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

Think I would use my post office physical address and Zip code,  with the #NUM.

But if you use the physical address of your post office with your post office box number that isn't going to match what would be on your bank statements or your driver's license. 

I don't think I'm going to dig into it any more. I haven't even gotten the first email from eBay about Managed Payments so I don't as yet have any deadlines to meet. Heck, I don't even have a bank checking account I can give them yet as I'm still trying to find one that works for me.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

I have another totally throwaway eBay ID that I have been getting emails to update my information.

So just for fun I went there this morning and I was actually FORCED to change my contact information to my physical address. I could add my PO Box as my preferred shipping address but my contact address had to be my physical address.

No mail would ever be delivered to that physical address as there is no mailbox down on the road almost a mile from my house to put it in. It will be Returned To Sender .. Address Unknown.

So I ask again ... what exactly means of CONTACT will that address be used for?

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I would assume they need to have it for legal purposes. If they needed to serve you papers, they would need it so they could hand delivered them to you. I don’t think it’s anything more than that. IMO

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

I just got this dang MP notice and it sucks... I'm a yank, and have flats in London and Budapest, but my residency is Ukraine and my banking is in Prague. I sell on ebay UK, but they are asking for a verified address that I DON'T have a mailbox at (ie; no mail delivery, too many dodgy thieves in that hood)  and I have different addresses on id card, bank account, and ebay.co.uk. What the heck to do??

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Your original registration show's UK, so that would be the address I would use.

You can open an online banking account to exactly match the name, address etc on your eBay account.

Maybe try asking on the UK boards, things may be a little different there perhaps.

Good luck with it all

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

My physical address does not receive mail.  It's on a private road and doesn't even come up in any address validation service.

My PO Box is the address on my drivers license and on file with my bank.

I'm currently unable to update to the managed payments stuff due to this.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

I am having the same problem.  Mail delivery is not available to my house, so I am required to use a PO Box.  I have a physical address, but it is not in the USPS database.  Ebay apparently uses that database to verify addresses.  I can't sell now because of this.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@funfund63 wrote:

I am having the same problem.  Mail delivery is not available to my house, so I am required to use a PO Box.  I have a physical address, but it is not in the USPS database.  Ebay apparently uses that database to verify addresses.  I can't sell now because of this.

@funfund63 

You will have to contact Ebay and find out what they see the fix as.  You aren't the first one with this problem and you aren't likely to be the last.  But Ebay is REQUIRED to have a physical address for you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

There is such an easy fix for this and yet they refuse to put it into play. On the registration section all they need to have is a place for physical address and another place for mailing address .... problem solved ... we would put our physical address in one slot and mailing address is another just like I've seen on every bank setup and credit card setup I've ever done online.

Now it gets tricky. If you go to the Payments tab in Seller Hub and click on Taxpayer details it says this: We use the details on file - such as name and mailing address - for tax reporting purposes. So I ask eBay again ... since there is no mailing address in the registration section then where will you get this mailing address? Will you use the shipping address that is shown in another section, which is my PO Box? Will you try to use the physical address which you forced me to put in the registration section which really isn't my mailing address?

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

If you were being served "legal papers", it would be a court officer who was serving them in person, not the USPS, not eBay.  

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply