cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

I've avoided registering for Management Payments, and I likely will be completely leaving E-bay due to this requirement unless E-bay reverses course on this requirement.

There is no legitimate reason for them to have my date of birth and social security number. They state it's per government regulations, but if that were true I'd of had to of given it to PayPal which I have not. 

eBay please revert to allowing us to user PayPal for all processing going forward and stop asking us to expose information you do not need. It is a personal security risk I am not willing to take.

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

I'm afraid you did give it to PayPal at one time. You may not remember doing it, but they have it. I don't remember giving them mine either, it was so long ago. If you go to your PP Profile you'll see the last 2 digits of your SS#.

@startingkeller 

Sorry, but Pay Pal is no longer going to be an option for sellers.

It's either sign up for Managed Payments or find another place to sell.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 85
latest reply

startingkeller_0-1610744112295.png

Not true, PayPal would like my SSN, but they do not have it and I've been doing transactions with them since early 2000's. See in screenshot where they would like me to add it. 

I'd like to see the exact Gov't Requirement, document title and referenced section they are referring too.  Right now I doubt that exists.

Message 4 of 85
latest reply

@startingkeller wrote:

I've avoided registering for Management Payments, and I likely will be completely leaving E-bay due to this requirement unless E-bay reverses course on this requirement.

There is no legitimate reason for them to have my date of birth and social security number. They state it's per government regulations, but if that were true I'd of had to of given it to PayPal which I have not. 

eBay please revert to allowing us to user PayPal for all processing going forward and stop asking us to expose information you do not need. It is a personal security risk I am not willing to take.

Good by and thanks for leaving:

more money for us sellers that make money using MP....

Oh and let us know when you come back to sell please.

Oh and you did give PP info.. You just  forget. or you shortly will.

Message 5 of 85
latest reply

@startingkeller wrote:

Not true, PayPal would like my SSN, but they do not have it and I've been doing transactions with them since early 2000's. See in screenshot where they would like me to add it. 

I'd like to see the exact Gov't Requirement, document title and referenced section they are referring too.  Right now I doubt that exists.

Not sure how you got by this long without giving them your SSN?

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 85
latest reply

Do not forget Power or Attorney so Ebay could co-own your checking account.  

Message 7 of 85
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@startingkeller wrote:

Not sure how you got by this long without giving them your SSN?

IDK either.  I also don't know if that screen shot was actually from a selling account.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Tips-from-Moderators/PayPal-s-Requests-for-Personal-Information/...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 85
latest reply

I didn't give it to PayPal, I posted where PayPal is asking me for it earlier in the thread, same account I've been using on Ebay for years. There isn't a way for me to prove it is the same PayPal account linked to my eBay without giving away personal information, but it is. I'm sure there are others in the same situation as myself.

My point being I don't think there is any "government regulation" driving this change, when Ebay is using it as an excuse.  Ebay wanting information they don't need to have for who knows what reason opens all users that do give it to them open to identify theft in the future the next time Ebay has a security event.

Message 9 of 85
latest reply

*general reply* Does the millionth identical post about this win a prize or something?

Message 10 of 85
latest reply

@startingkeller wrote:

I didn't give it to PayPal, I posted where PayPal is asking me for it earlier in the thread, same account I've been using on Ebay for years. There isn't a way for me to prove it is the same PayPal account linked to my eBay without giving away personal information, but it is. I'm sure there are others in the same situation as myself.

My point being I don't think there is any "government regulation" driving this change, when Ebay is using it as an excuse.  Ebay wanting information they don't need to have for who knows what reason opens all users that do give it to them open to identify theft in the future the next time Ebay has a security event.

@startingkeller 

OK, amigo, let's ask!

tyler@ebay   Here is a tough one for you - What is the exact USC or CFR citation that "requires" eBay to obtain SSNs from MP users?   I suspect this might require a call to the legal department?

Message 11 of 85
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

@startingkeller wrote:

@startingkeller 

OK, amigo, let's ask!

tyler@ebay   Here is a tough one for you - What is the exact USC or CFR citation that "requires" eBay to obtain SSNs from MP users?   I suspect this might require a call to the legal department?

Just adding a tag that might help.

payments_team@ebay 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 85
latest reply

@startingkeller wrote:

Not a document, title or section, but here is some information provided by the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/general-faqs-on-new-payment-card-reporting-requirements

image.png

Message 13 of 85
latest reply

They state it's per government regulations, but if that were true I'd of had to of given it to PayPal which I have not.

You did give it to PayPal, you just don't remember.  And there is a legitimate reason, you are selling material goods for profit, from which it has to be reported through 1099-Ks which require an SS number and a DOB that is matched with that SS number.   Managed Payments are 100 times better than eBay/PayPal.  Get over it, join the family.

Message 14 of 85
latest reply

Yes, but it doesn't look like eBay issues a 1099 unless one has 200 sales or over $20K in receipts.  (or $600 in MA & VA)  Most small hobby sellers probably won't hit the higher level.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/ebay-form-1099k?id=4794&st=3&pos=1&query=eBa...

Message 15 of 85
latest reply