cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

I've avoided registering for Management Payments, and I likely will be completely leaving E-bay due to this requirement unless E-bay reverses course on this requirement.

There is no legitimate reason for them to have my date of birth and social security number. They state it's per government regulations, but if that were true I'd of had to of given it to PayPal which I have not. 

eBay please revert to allowing us to user PayPal for all processing going forward and stop asking us to expose information you do not need. It is a personal security risk I am not willing to take.

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

They want more info to provide for irs to tax you with , and i stopped selling also because i dont think they can keep that info protected, ive told them at least five times that someone hacked them. 

Message 76 of 85
latest reply

Re: Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

@startingkeller wrote:

My last item completed on Ebay via the original PayPal route. In protest of eBay requiring my SSN to continue selling I've decided to let my last invoice go un-paid and removed the eBay Authorization to charge my PayPal account. Maybe a lack of payment will get their attention and make them reconsider their policies, however unlikely. Good luck to all that remain.

Do you think that will stop them from getting their money?

Have a great day.
Message 77 of 85
latest reply

@startingkeller wrote:

Credit scores are tied to SSN and can't be affected if eBay doesn't have your SSN. 

That is not correct.  It is not a required element to reporting to the credit reporting services.  Ebay has done this for years when sellers don't pay their fees in a certain amount of time.  Doctor's offices can report past due bills to credit services.  

71.JPG

https://www.bylcollections.com/blog/requirements-for-reporting-delinquent-accounts-to-credit-bureaus

@startingkeller 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 78 of 85
latest reply

@mechanic1930 wrote:

They want more info to provide for irs to tax you with , and i stopped selling also because i dont think they can keep that info protected, ive told them at least five times that someone hacked them. 

@mechanic1930 

Ebay could care less one way or the other if you are paying your taxes and/or claiming the appropriate income on your Federal Tax Returns.

Ebay is required BY LAW to report certain levels of sales via a 1099K per state and federal laws not because they want to but because they are required to by LAW.

Ebay has NOT been hacked 5 times.  Ebay is over 25 years old and was hacked ONCE in 2014.  The hackers did NOT access financial info on ANY seller as they could not get past the encryption codes of Ebay passwords to access the info.  So that actually means the security Stood UP to the hackers and kept them from getting that info.  Just the opposite of what some would like you to believe.

Message 79 of 85
latest reply

It is a good thing they don't have my DOB or full legal name either. 

@mam98031 

Message 80 of 85
latest reply

@startingkeller wrote:

It is a good thing they don't have my DOB or full legal name either. 

@mam98031 

I'm not sure how that happened as the DOB is required when you sign up for Ebay because Ebay requires the members are 18 and over.  So I have no idea how you got around that rule.

Message 81 of 85
latest reply

Yeah I agree eBay is out of their mind and out of control.

Message 82 of 85
latest reply

Starting in 2022, sales of over $600 a year will trigger a 1099K. Right now it's $20,000. Biden changed this to $600 in the American Rescue Plan Act passed in March 2021.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-o... 

Message 83 of 85
latest reply

@rob068 wrote:

Starting in 2022, sales of over $600 a year will trigger a 1099K. Right now it's $20,000. Biden changed this to $600 in the American Rescue Plan Act passed in March 2021.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-o... 

FYI, that clause was in the one during Trumps administration too but was removed before the stimulus was passed for whatever reason they had at the time.  

So now it is back.  For sellers that have been doing as they should have been doing all along, this is just a non issue.  But for sellers that have not been claiming there income when they should, this is going to be a real problem for them.

However sellers that ONLY sell stuff from their closets and such may not have any tax impact.  But check the rules and make sure before assuming.  Good luck everyone.

Message 84 of 85
latest reply

I have defended eBay quite a bit, the MP has not bothered me (so far) in Aus we only had to provide Driver Licence, but we actually had to give the direct access to our account - yes login details so they could verify us. Obviously as soon as done (in minutes) we changed passwords etc, so Yes I put my trust in the system and did  that which was required.

As I say - no issues so far, but my biggest concern is when there is an issue WHO DO WE ASK ? Who can I turn to that can help me  properly (not some chat bot).

You have reps here, on the boards, that while admittedly know little, you at least feel like you may have been heard.

You have a Call Us function and Facebook contact - We have nothing of that kind over here and it is freaking scary.

We have Community to help - but as far as if I was having funds held or any tech troubles, banking glitches and eBay stuff ups - I got nothin'.

So until eBay decides to spend a little of their huge profits on some ''trained'' human beings for each countries platform to actually help and understand eBay - it is sort of living in fear of what may..........

Sorry - rant over.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 85 of 85
latest reply