cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item not as described fee

I am being charged an item as not as described fee in managed payments in addition to the other fees.

I don't see any items not as described in my Top Rated account.This is a fairly large fee and it is on all my sold listings since I have been in Managed Payments starting on March 29th.

All in all I am pleased with manged payments except for this one problem.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I thought I read that eBay charges $20 if you lose a SNAD case, that is if you don't get the item back and refund or refund and let them keep the item.  Is that what you are seeing? 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Check your Service Metrics.  If your rate of Item Not As Described cases is Very High compared to other sellers in your peer group, eBay will add an additional 5% fee.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/prf/service-metrics 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy... 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/sh/prf/service-metrics

The way the system comps it to our competitors is a total crock.

By percentage of sales is how every other marketplaces makes these comps.

My percentage of sales remains relatively the same while comping it to my competitors just from .6 %to 1.5% in 3 months.   I've checked for all the "patters" of merchandise, items, shipping, damaged, defectives and nothing out of the ordinary.

Anybody with any success in arguing these with Ebay?

No matter what external system we are selling on, it is my job to ensure that we are compliant with all the platforms. Using 30 years of experience and every position in the company worth of Business knowledge to integrate and moreover take every possible advantage of all available projects from each marketplace.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Re: Anybody with any success in arguing these with Ebay?

Impossible as customer services don't even know about this defect and they do not have the tools to correct or amend this.

Seller metrics is back of house and counts all cases opened by buyers and does not differentiate between genuine, bogus or errors made by buyers.

Once your buyer selects reason for return not as described then there is no going back even if the buyer decides that they made a mistake, they will keep the item or admit in messages that real reason was that they did not like the item or changed their mind or they did not want to pay return postage. 

If your metrics are high over a 3 month period then on top of your final value fees you are going to get hit with additional fees of 4 to 5% for each month that you remain high and there is no appeal.

Sensible/ reliable Sellers are penalised for something that they can not control as no sensible seller will ever list or knowingly misrepresent an item as this will be counter productive.

I accept that all sellers are not sensible or reliable.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Yes, I just ran into this this week with a 5% charge.

Often the customer don't take measurements and when the interior tag states something different, and maybe they don't like, or want to return it, they automatically open a case saying item was not as described, and fight it.

There has been 3 cases in the past year, where I accidentally sent the wrong size of the item, paid for the shipping and send out the new item, and resolved it. Still even thought it was corrected, still penalized for it with a the backhouse. 

I've stated to looking into this and there is nothing a seller can do.

All you can do it continue cutting shipping cost by using lower-weight packaging and increasing your shipping costs to pad in Ebays **bleep** metrix to keep your sales on track.

I will not accept offers too low anymore that Ebay is forcing me to pay 5% for something that was resolved or the buyer didn't see/read the description in its entirety.

Just because a case was opened it should still around to punish experienced/good sellers as they are obviously not trying to bate and switch a tangible item. 

So, when a customer ask why shipping is so I high I tell them because Ebay is raising costs. It's true. Sorry but got to pass on to the customer. I'd eat if I messed up.

Personally, Ebay has invested a lot of money on interface and SEO (search engine optimization) for listing on Google and the internet since the Covid deal. I'm pretty sure, it's to recover this and improve shareholder return on investment.

Sellers will always get the short end of the stick. For this reason, I will never try to be a top-rated seller and enjoy the side hustle but will never be a full-timer either. If I have to stop selling for a year to get my 13% cost down then so be it. But, it has to be worth my time.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Oh wow thank you for this because I am dealing with the exact same issue and I have had it with ebay . It just feels a little better to not be the only one. Ugh I have tried repeatedly to talk to a MANAGER or someone who could actually discuss this but not ONE has ever called me back..I am starting to really wonder if ebay isn't just paying customers to return items so we get socked with that BOGUS 5 % fee for items not as described and then ebay continues to collect those fees from us FOREVER...Do you know of any other platform to sell on?

I have even thought of getting an attorney This is so bogus and when they advertise themselves as Guaranteed refunds for buyers to make themselves look good...who pays for that? US.....ugh thank you I appreciate you writing this honestly now I don't feel like I'm the only one getting, excuse me but screwed.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

And what makes me mad is that ebay does not treat ME as their customer, which is what I am. My buyers are MY customers and I am ebays customer. I wish ebay treated me halfvas well as they force me to treat mine.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Have you checked your dashboard to see how many defects you have for returns with item not as described? That will tell the story.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ugh Yes they did that to me last year too~stuck me with that 5% BOGUS CHARGE I still wonder if they pay people to leave BAD feedback so they can collect it

I feel for you friend I really do especially when you are an honest seller trying to do the right thing All ebay cares about is their buyers and BOGUS fees couldn't care less about Sellers

Go figure

I am going to stop selling too and try to find a new venue..I thank you so much for responding so appreciate you and your kindness thank you 🙂 Wishing you a Good Monday! and many thanks for your response

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply