cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received full refund but the item just arrived. I want to pay the seller again.

So I bought an item in July this year and was given the estimate delivery date 28 Aug. 
It was 20 Oct and I had not had any news about it after it was delivered to it's original country's airlines. 
So I asked for a refund, the seller accepted and asked if I was willing to return the item or pay again if I ended up receiving it. 
23 Oct and my country's postal service sends me and e-mail  telling me that the item arrived on my country.
I am now waiting for it to be delivered to my house but would like to pay the seller back.
Unfortunately my country has some severe taxes on purchases from abroad (About 61%!!!) wich were enacted a few weeks ago, that would mean that for the 128 US$ item I'd have to pay around 200 US$ and I do not have that amount of money.
The first time, I payed with my bank's Debit Card, not with PayPal. The money was refunded to that card, but has not yet been charged. Is there any way I can stop the refund?
Or any other (legal) way for me to pay the seller again without having to pay that ridiculous tax? 

If it helps, I'm from Argentina.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: I received full refund but the item just arrived. I want to pay the seller again.

Wait until you actually receive the item. See if you are charged the old rate or the new one. If the new and you can not pay that amount refuse the package, it should be sent back to the sender. If yu get it without having to pay the extra then you can just go to PayPal and hit 'send money'.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: I received full refund but the item just arrived. I want to pay the seller again.

send the seller a message and ask for their PayPal email address. they will probably have to write it in a weird way, so be ready for that.  if you have PayPal, make sure you choose to send them money as "friends and family" otherwise it will charge the seller a fee.  thanks for being an honest buyer! 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your honesty and high sense of ethics!  I agree to simply pay the seller through paypal as above - they can send you a spelled out email address so it doesn't get stopped by the eBay system, and pay your original amount.  I have family in Argentina and that PAIS is crazy high!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

Wait until you actually receive the item. See if you are charged the old rate or the new one. If the new and you can not pay that amount refuse the package, it should be sent back to the sender. If yu get it without having to pay the extra then you can just go to PayPal and hit 'send money'.

This is NOT an issue.  The new rate would not apply.  The rate is NOT driven by the date an item is deliver.  It is driven by the date an item is shipped.  It is that way for ALL carriers and it always has been.

@lja440 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@theshoein wrote:

send the seller a message and ask for their PayPal email address. they will probably have to write it in a weird way, so be ready for that.  if you have PayPal, make sure you choose to send them money as "friends and family" otherwise it will charge the seller a fee.  thanks for being an honest buyer! 

@theshoein 

When you have a recent transaction with another member you are allowed to use the Ebay email system to share contact information.  So the buyer can supply the seller with their email address and ask the seller to invoice them through PP or as you suggest they can get their seller's email address and just sent them money to the seller.  Either way works.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your honesty.  So many buyers are not doing this and many sellers are losing money for this as there is no way to force a buyer to have the ethics to do as you are trying to do.  You are absolutely wonderful and VERY appreciated.

I agree with the others.  Wait until the item actually gets delivered and you make sure that it is still in the condition you are expecting it in before you contact your seller with the options on how to get repayment to them.

You can pay via Paypal with your debit card if you want.  If you do not have a PP account, you can check out as a guest.

You can't stop the refund.  It needs to run its course.  

Good question about the tax.  Even if the seller invoiced your through PP and you paid from that, the seller has no way of sending the tax amount collected to Argentina.    Is this a US seller or a seller in some other country?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

hard to see these kinds of buyers...Thanks for reacting as a honest person..stay safe

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

This is NOT an issue.  The new rate would not apply.  The rate is NOT driven by the date an item is deliver.  It is driven by the date an item is shipped.  It is that way for ALL carriers and it always has been.

@lja440 

Yes that would be the way it is here. Not for certain if it would be that way at customs in the OP's country.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It's a Chinese seller

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The email I received from Ebay said that I would get the 128US$ back on the Debit Card I used to pay. I'm assuming my bank will automatically convert the money to my country's currency.
A lot of people have mentioned paying via PayPal, I'll try that but I'm pretty sure I'll still be charged the taxes.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply