cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does Ebay take to send your payment to your checking account?

It used to be so easy. When you sold something and ebay confirmed the payment was sent, it was right there in your Paypal account! But now with ebay handling the payment, even after they've confirmed that payment was sent, you have to wait for them to put it in your checking account. So instead of mailing the item right out, I have to wait until I actually see the money in my account! So I'm wondering, just how long does it take ebay?
I sold an auction yesterday, and ebay confirmed payment was made. But I still don't see it in my account!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: How long does Ebay take to send your payment to your checking account?

For me personally, It was 20.

Transaction 21-22-23 no Hold, but transaction 24 had a hold. then no hold for the rest.

That 24th transaction eBay was like maybe we don't trust this person. 😞

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@dqdistribution wrote:

For me personally, It was 20.

Transaction 21-22-23 no Hold, but transaction 24 had a hold. then no hold for the rest.

That 24th transaction eBay was like maybe we don't trust this person. 😞

Thank you.  I find that very interesting.

It isn't that they don't trust you.  Once upon a time we had a real problem on this site with sellers coming here setting up shop and an account with PayPal.  Then they would sell a bunch of stuff, get paid by the buyer, then just before buyers would likely start looking for their products, the seller shut down their listings and pulled their money out of PayPal and likely closed the PP account.  

That is the biggest reason why Ebay started this hold process.  It has cut this out completely.  It is SECURITY reasons.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Yeah, I can see that happening. Sell a bunch of fake listings cash out and burn the eBay account.

I noticed the OP mentioned 1-day handling because funds are processed fast.

Is that how it worked before though when eBay used Paypal? Payments were processed faster and were available in an account that you could actually spend money in that fast?

I've only used the new system, and I haven't really adjusted payout settings, I just put it on monthly, but it still takes a couple days to process to be available. 

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

Way to long!

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

@dqdistribution 

I did try to respond last night, but our internet went down.  

Oh don't get me started.  I loved PayPal as you would mind most sellers did.  Very flexible and friendly.  I won't go too deep into it as you didn't use it, so no need to throw shade on our current system.

I find MP fine.  I do deposits every Tuesday.  Typically the deposit is sent early on Tuesday and I have it in my account before noon on Wednesday.  This past week I was VERY pleasantly surprised, they sent the deposit as normal on Tuesday morning.  I was notified it landed at my bank before the end of business on Tuesday.

You can now spend money in your MP account on purchases on Ebay.  [In PayPal we weren't limited, we could purchase anywhere that took PP]  

There earlier days of MP were a bit more difficult than they are now.  And it just keeps getting better.  I'm fine with it as it meets my needs.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Never make a buyer wait to ship an item.  Never.  Make sure that you set it up with daily payments.  You can also use a backup method for shipping. I set up my shipping to pull the money from PAYPAL.  I linked my Discover card to Paypal.  So I am actually earning cash back every time that I print a shipping label.  I do NOT allow ebay to get their grubby hands on my shipping money.   Set it up that way.    You can also print through ebay shipping and ebay releases the exact amount of the shipping cost the second that a buyer pays you.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@gotta-have-it-collectables wrote:

Way to long!

Then you should reset your option for when your payouts are released. 

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@tmbz wrote:

If they can hold it for 30 days, then what is the purpose of ebay? Like I said, before they started managing payment, it would just go into my Paypal account! I could spend it on other auctions! But now I have to wait for the money, and that means the winner has to wait for me to send it. 

True, I haven't sold anything for awhile, but I did before. And it was fun! But now, it's become a chore!

No, the buyer doesn't have to wait for you to ship it, if they paid, you ship it.

If you wait until the money is in your checking account, the buyer will probably have already filed an INR for a refund.

Payment holds are not new, they even did it when Pay Pal processed the payments.

Have a great day
Message 23 of 37
latest reply

It used to be so easy. When you sold something and ebay confirmed the payment was sent, it was right there in your Paypal account!

That was because PayPal essentially lent you the money before the transaction settled. eBay waits until the money is actually yours before they give it to you. 

How long does Ebay take to send your payment to your checking account?

I am set up for weekly payouts. When eBay gives me a Payout of available funds on Tuesday, it is in my bank account on Thursday.

What is your payput schedule set to? 

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@tmbz wrote:

Paypal never held my money. I could use it right away. But now I have to wait! But I just read from the person before you, that they put it in your account on Tuesdays! That makes me feel a lot better!

It depends on the schedule you chose for payouts?

How soon it hit's your checking account, depends on your bank.

I have weekly payouts and they send the funds on Tuesday and the funds are in my account that night or the next morning.

Not all banks are that fast, some can take up to 4 or 5 days.

When Ebay sends the funds depends on when they release the hold on the funds.

Have a great day
Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@tmbz wrote:

Paypal never held my money. I could use it right away. But now I have to wait! But I just read from the person before you, that they put it in your account on Tuesdays! That makes me feel a lot better!

Again, be advised that "YOUR" payouts, even though set up for weekly on Tuesday will still be subject to new/infrequent seller holds.  (likely 14 days. longer on high $ items)

Very, very unlikely that you will get a payout this Tuesday, or on Tuesdays (for all items sold the past week) on a regular basis until you are no longer considered a new/infrequent seller in the eyes of eBay

As others have posted. Ship that item within your stated "handling time".  When eBay shows that you can ship, it is the time to do so. The buyer payment has been "confirmed", and is just "processing".

Status of the payment can be seen in the sellers hub by hovering on "Payments", and clicking on "all transactions".

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Thank you for your insight.

I did not know you could make purchases on eBay with your MP account, though it's a bit less useful but a good thing to know.

I will probably change my payouts to weekly, I just put it on Monthly to maintain a balance since I'm a smaller seller and it just makes sure funds are always available to cover fees and things.

My current store is basically just testing and learning. Do you know if I can convert my personal account to a business one where I remove all my personal information with the new business identifiers? Right now it's linked to my SSN. I'd much rather maintain my current feedback.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@tmbz If they hold your money because you haven't sold for a while you will not be getting any money soon. From what I have read from helpful people here holds can last for a while, once they no longer consider you a newer seller then you can get payments on a certain schedule, regardless you don't make the buyer wait. That's not how it works. Buyers can open item not received cases against you and you will basically have to ship or they get refunded at a certain point, and you suffer the consequences on your account.

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

The Weekly TRANSFER is on Tuesdays.

But as several have said, how long it takes to get to your account depends on YOUR BANK.

Here in Canada we have very few banks (about a dozen ) all federally licensed, so it does seem to be faster.

Only one of my accounts gives me a paper statement, but that shows my Tuesday transfer being in my chequing account on the same Tuesday-- although this is an online bank and may be more uptodate with its programming than smaller older companies.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

I've been on eBay for 23 years, mostly as a buyer.  I am a casual seller who started selling again after a 4 year break.  eBay sends my payments 1 day after USPS scan acceptance, which was my set-up option.  I'm not even Top Rated, just Above Standard.  Items I've sold have had zero problems.  Ever.  I think eBay has a secret list of long term, trustworthy sellers who get certain perks.  JK, but it seems I never run afoul of the great god eBay.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply