cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consequences for buyers who don't pay?

Lately, I've seen an uptick in buyers who don't pay. They place a winning bid or make a best offer that I accept, but after the auction end, they drop off the face of the earth. I contact them with a reminder, but get radio silence. I used to give them 7 days, then file an unpaid item report, but now it seems the only remedy is to cancel the sale and start over. What a waste of time. Is there any consequence for buyers who don't pay?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If sellers file and close unpaid cases, such buyers get a non payment strike.  Sellers can set their accounts to block any buyer that has two or more of those strikes.  Is your account set to do so? You can set that in buyer preferences under the account tab on your my eBay page.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@cats_purr wrote:

Is there any consequence for buyers who don't pay?

On day 5, cancel the order for nonpayment and give the buyer an unpaid item strike.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I will. Is the unpaid item strike automatic, or do I have to do anything?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You, the seller, after the buyer has not paid for 4 days, can cancel on day #5, citing "did not pay" as the reason.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If the reason that you use for the cancellation is 'buyer didn't pay' the strike is automatic.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Relatively new to the selling side, apologies if this answer is out there somewhere: What results from an 'unpaid item strike'? 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@cole_to_the_miscellany wrote:

Relatively new to the selling side, apologies if this answer is out there somewhere: What results from an 'unpaid item strike'? 

Sellers can restrict sales to buyers who have X amount of unpaid item strikes, the most harsh setting is two. Most smart sellers have that set at two, and therefore buyers with two or more unpaid strikes find that their purchase ability and seller choices are greatly diminished. Helps the sellers, too, because they don't have to deal with them. Supposedly if a buyer accumulates enough unpaid strikes, eBay "may" take other action and ban or further restrict them.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

The strikes stay on their account for 1 year.  Not only does it keep them from bidding, they cannot make offers.  They are only able to purchase buy it now listings with automatic payment required.   Hopefully you have found where to add these blocks to your account.  Let us know if you haven't and we will point you in the right direction.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

There are no consequences.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Why would you say that? 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

There are no consequences.

WRONG.  I can't tell you how many threads I read on the mentor board nearly every day where buyers are asking why they get the message that they can't bid because they have too many unpaid items.  It does work!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply