cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Fraud under eBay Managed Payments

A buyer bought 10 GPU's from us at the height of bitcoin mining. A $5800 purchase.

After 2 weeks, the buyer opened a return on ebay claiming "item not as described".

They sent us back a box of junk (images attached). We were in touch with an ebay rep and made sure to upload the right documentation. Yet after 4 weeks, ebay resolved in the buyer's favor, claiming that the bank described the purchase as not authorized.

We have thousands of positive feedback with a 100% seller rating, while the buyer only had 6 feedback and a few weeks of history.

Heavily concerned about the future of managed payments. This would have never happened under Paypal.  Ebay is shifting their burden of credit card fraud onto sellers, which is really unacceptable given that we have no visibility into the card transactions. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer Fraud under eBay Managed Payments

Do not quit eBay! Take the loss and move on because eBay is GOD of ecommerce! It's the best with the greatest support and protections, sc.

14% of sales goes to eBay. For what? eBay could easily take the loss and give you both your money.

The buyer can say item defective or not as described, ship you back some bricks and easily get away with it.

Especially selling up marked GPUS during this shortage.

It's as if they feel entitled to scamming you.

Feels horrible and I'm sorry for your loss but you cannot sell such high priced items on a site with no seller protection.

Best bet is to pursue legal avenues as eBay will not help.

They will however, warn you for posts on the forum if you recommend people move away.  I give this site less than 10 years.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

They will however, warn you for posts on the forum if you recommend people move away. I give this site less than 10 years.

Are you saying that you are prohibited from stating that posters can't state we should leave eBay?

That's a constitutional Violation of  Freedom of Speech

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@met-server-parts 

I'm in total agreement with you.  We are in the middle and can not communicate with the issuing bank to appeal their decision.   I sincerely hope you can appeal eBay's decision regarding this scam.    I wouldn't give up just yet and hopefully you can find a representative who can put some effort into reversing this.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@dansjewelersca.h 

i would consider opening a police case with your local department for financial fraud, and filing the police report along with the dispute. Even if the police case goes nowhere, maybe Ebay will take it more seriously.

we used to open police cases in the past (like early 2000's), but at least for the last decade we've always been protected through paypal given our account history. just no longer with managed payments. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Few pointers:
When sending things like this value take photo's at Fed Ex/UPS packaging, ship FedEx or UPS.  Have clerk watch or seal it and insure it.  The amount of $ your talking about here if the buyer is in the USA is construed as a felony.  If items are not retail (aka: OEM) mark them before shipping uniquely and in an obscure place, again, photos.

What can you do now:
1.  This is theft loss you can write it off against taxable revenues and make notation with filing as to what occurred.
2. You can file postal mail fraud charges with the US Postal Inspectors Office and again, given the amount it's a felony.
3. You can file with your local police, get the report.  Call the buyers local police, sheriff and/or State police and ask how you report internet/mail order fraud, the amount etc.  Inform them you'd like mail, can fax or email a copy of the report filed to your local authorities.  The buyer may already have a record with his local authorities.

That's off top of my head.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

We have good news. We called ebay's managed payment team once per week and the phone support team kept promising a supervisor follow up. Finally, we called and insisted on speaking directly to a supervisor. 

The supervisor agreed that this was an oversight that occurs simply because the managed payment team is too new.

Ebay has issued us payment for the full amount. 

Good on Ebay to do the right thing. Hopefully they figure out how to properly handle payment cases under managed payments. 

It's perfectly natural for eBay to try to grow and vertically integrate payment solutions beyond paypal into their portal. If they want to do that though, then the cost of doing business (credit card fraud, etc) needs to be on them - not us. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"Freedom of Speech" does not apply to speech in private forums.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

eBay is a publicly traded company.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Let freedom ring.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

They will however, warn you for posts on the forum if you recommend people move away. I give this site less than 10 years.

Are you saying that you are prohibited from stating that posters can't state we should leave eBay?

That's a constitutional Violation of  Freedom of Speech

The community boards are a section of the site that Ebay owns.  They have their rules for the community boards.  If a poster violates one of those rules, the post can be removed or edited, whichever is deemed fit for the situation.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Free Speech.

In part Rule # 13 reads "...Members are not permitted to tell others to stop selling on eBay or to leave eBay for any reason, which includes promoting off eBay sites, groups, or forums by name or by providing links. "

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/td-p/26164369?nobounce

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@veronicabooksandart wrote:

eBay is a publicly traded company.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Let freedom ring.

Then you should read the rules in which we all must adhere to when using these forums.  It may benefit you.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/td-p/26164369?nobounce

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@met-server-parts wrote:

We have good news. We called ebay's managed payment team once per week and the phone support team kept promising a supervisor follow up. Finally, we called and insisted on speaking directly to a supervisor. 

The supervisor agreed that this was an oversight that occurs simply because the managed payment team is too new.

Ebay has issued us payment for the full amount. 

Good on Ebay to do the right thing. Hopefully they figure out how to properly handle payment cases under managed payments. 

It's perfectly natural for eBay to try to grow and vertically integrate payment solutions beyond paypal into their portal. If they want to do that though, then the cost of doing business (credit card fraud, etc) needs to be on them - not us. 

This is EXCELLENT news and the right thing to do.  GOOD job.  You handled it as I would have along with filing an appeal.  Someone would have to explain to me how I lost.

If the account address matched the delivery address on the order and you can prove delivery to that address, you are correct, you should have won the first time.  It can get a bit tricky however if they have you ship to another address.

But I am very glad it worked out for you.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

yeah ! fighting ! fighting 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply