cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto pay wouldn't let me pay for an order using PayPal credit..?? I will stop using Ebay

I bought two items from a seller (auction) I purchase from at least twice a year now, normally the items are placed in the cart and my DEFAULT payment method of PayPal CREDIT is completely IGNORED and not used...
This time EBAY automatically charged my regular PayPal account (non credit) and pulled money out of my Bank account..   This is complete and utter **bleep** and Ebay is at fault.   I will likely stop using Ebay for anything other than small and infrequent (once or twice a year), purchases.   
There is NO possible way to disable this AUTO PAY, **bleep** feature, I have looked.
And no I'm not removing all payment options and then re-entering them again.
Anyone else know of a way around this or is Ebay just screwing themselves right out of revenue???

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Auto pay wouldn't let me pay for an order using PayPal credit..?? I will stop using Ebay

The "auto-pay" option is initiated at the seller level (it is an option for the seller to either use or not)

Until the format for autopay changes (meaning it allows you to change your preference prior to bidding), the only way I know of is to contact the seller and ask them to remove the auto-pay option......

(some don't know it is enabled since I understand it is by 'default', and the seller can disable it)

There are constant changes in this system, so I don't know if this is still in play....

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

"There are constant changes in this system, so I don't know if this is still in play...."

It just happened November 19th,   it is now the 23rd, so I guess it's still in play.
That's a shame, I used Ebay because it was easy to use, I will just go directly to the source and avoid Ebay fees from now on, I guess..     
In my opinion it's a short sighted move on their part, a desire for short term gains over long term profit.
Ebay must be getting desperate for cash on hand.  

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Again, eBay instituted this at the behest of seller complaints, and it is completely optional for the seller. I too, both as a seller and buyer, don't like it....but it is optional for me as a seller (not as a buyer) and I choose NOT to utilize this option....

What I meant about changes, they are tweaking the implementation of this pre-authorization step as we go forward.....I think they are trying to implement combined shipping, and payment choices in a simple interface instead of the model they are using now....there has been a pretty good amount of concern especially about the combined shipping problem........

If I could choose my payment method each time (depending on whether I am buying for business or personal account) I could live with that.....

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

If you have a credit or debit card on file that is how an auction will get paid. I assume you don't ...so eBay went to your banking source. If you win an auction it has to be paid anyway.

I have been lucky with auctions and none have been auto payments.

I usually pay the next day due to maybe shipping cost changes. I have been winning auctions from quite a few domestic and International sellers....so I guess you picked the wrong seller.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@von-yesselstyn-restorations-1 

@von-yesselstyn-restorations-1 wrote:

Anyone else know of a way around this ...???

PayPal uses the payment method that you have set as Preferred on your PayPal account to pay.

PayPal credit and Pay in Four are not available as Preferred payment methods on PayPal, as far as I can see. Just your PayPal balance, bank account, and any cards that you have attached on PayPal. This probably because the first two are lines of credit, and they have to determine whether or not the line of credit will be available for each transaction individually. PayPal credit and Pay in Four may or may not be available at checkout.

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/money/choice/select

lacemaker3_0-1700758844507.png

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

You can try turning off Auto Login on your PayPal account, which would mean that  you have to enter your password to login on PayPal. Then, after you win the auction or the offer is accepted, eBay would not be able to process the PayPal payment.

You would have to pay manually, and you could choose the payment method you want. You will have to remember to turn off Auto Login every time you use PayPal, because it will be set to Enable again every time you login.

If you try this, please post an update and let us know how it works.

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/security/

lacemaker3_0-1700759292420.png

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

PP did away with the 'credit line' and changed it to a Master Card, which they sent me. This happened 5? years ago. I just inputted my MC CC (from PP) for payment.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Nope..    PayPal credit wasn't used or an option...    The MOMENT the auction ended, I was charged.
I didn't get the normal two days, I didn't even get an option for PayPal credit.
I was AUTOMATICALLY charged through normal PayPal, NOT PayPal credit..
Meaning my bank account was charged and NOTHING went to Paypal credit.
I never had a chance to select Paypal credit, even though that is my default.
I will just go directly to the seller and skip Ebay from now on, since Ebay has decided to cause me a major inconvenience...     The only reason I used Ebay was for convenience.  Now that Ebay is inconvenient and charging me the instant an auction is over and not allowing my preferred payment method I have used for years, the same way, they get to lose revenue, it's pretty simple math.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@von-yesselstyn-restorations-1 wrote:

I will just go directly to the seller and skip Ebay from now on, since Ebay has decided to cause me a major inconvenience...     

Sellers are NOT allowed to have buyers 'buy' outside of ebay...unless you can 'figure out/find' their 'private' website-if they have one. 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@von-yesselstyn-restorations-1 

I was talking about the default payment method that is set in your PayPal account, not just the payment method you always choose at checkout.

If you log in to your PayPal account and check your default payment method as I suggested, what does it say? I don't even have an option to select PayPal credit. If you can set your default to PayPal credit, please post a screenshot of your options.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

No, they didn't...   Still there and still chosen as default payment option, Ebay is being screwing it up.PayEbay.jpg.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Yep, same here.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

I am not going to remove payment options or payment methods, before each auction and reenable them after...   That is a major inconvenience, just a pointless hassle.
Pointless hassles don't get my business.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Hi Lace....

I have that option, and I tried setting it for all my purchases, but it still always defaults to my credit card...

The problem is not with eBay, it is with Paypal......

!ebay-paypal-2.jpg

Message 15 of 29
latest reply