cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Action required, being asked to upload a photo id, DL, passport, etc. Is this a joke?

I don't understand why this is necessary in order for ebay to continue sending me my payouts? I've already provided my bank account info, SSN, and other information to continue selling items, now they're asking for access to even more personal information? Anyone know if it's tax related or because of sellers selling high ticketed items? I sell video games and collectibles, I doubt that would classify as "high priced" compared to antique furniture, watches, or jewelry. 

I'm just a part-time seller/someone just looking to downsize on living space, I'm not trying to make a online business or long-time endeavor out of this. Considering ebay has had a security breach, I'd rather not take that chance. Are you guys ok with this or have you uploaded your photo id on here? 

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Action required, being asked to upload a photo id, DL, passport, etc. Is this a joke?

@downunder-61 wrote:

They need your complete SSN now, you may have previously only had to supply the last 4 digits of it and as the 1099k reporting level has dropped the IRS demand eBay supply all seller's full SSN for this purpose.

Try to ignore the (odd) responder who is here to totally agree with you and bash eBay - they have nothing to add and do not understand that this is a legal IRS requirement, eBay is not just plucking things out of their b**** to make life difficult.

19 million sellers world wide have transitioned to MP and in the last 4 years since the roll out began I have heard nothing nefarious happening regarding hacks or what ever other scaremongers are claiming.

So, basically I should provide my photo ID to ebay is what you're saying?

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

Re: Action required, being asked to upload a photo id, DL, passport, etc. Is this a joke?

@thefirstsellerandalwaysbuyer 

As long as it keeps the payments coming in, I'll give them what they need.

Have a great day
Message 17 of 52
latest reply

@yes_treat_yourself wrote:

For $1700 in sales, the IRS gets reports of $1700, $3400, $5100, or $6800.  I don't have time to unravel that kind of bull.

If you have $1700 in sales on Ebay, that's what they report to the IRS.

You report your income like you have been, there shouldn't be a problem.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 52
latest reply

You could not be more wrong....this is not an issue for the IRS to go after sellers, its for EBAY to have true audits to prove how much they should be paying in sales tax, etc. I agree that it is completely unjust and borderline illegal how they are handling this. Many of us, (myself included) sold an item or items to receive a notice (NOT VIA email, but on our sellers page) letting us know that your funds are on hold. 

For me, I never was going to comply with entering my SS on a non secured line so I left the are for my SS blank. Now that EBAY is strong arming us, I said fine I will enter it. Guess what, it will not allow me to change it so now they are asking for a passport, w9, license, etc. I will not give them any of this as they have my information but they are having an IT issue and will not allow me to update. 

This smells like a class action lawsuit........

Message 19 of 52
latest reply

@copy-paper wrote:

You could not be more wrong....this is not an issue for the IRS to go after sellers, its for EBAY to have true audits to prove how much they should be paying in sales tax, etc. I agree that it is completely unjust and borderline illegal how they are handling this. Many of us, (myself included) sold an item or items to receive a notice (NOT VIA email, but on our sellers page) letting us know that your funds are on hold. 

For me, I never was going to comply with entering my SS on a non secured line so I left the are for my SS blank. Now that EBAY is strong arming us, I said fine I will enter it. Guess what, it will not allow me to change it so now they are asking for a passport, w9, license, etc. I will not give them any of this as they have my information but they are having an IT issue and will not allow me to update. 

This smells like a class action lawsuit........

Look you can get all the lawyers you want and file lawsuits for whatever you deem fit, spend as much money as you wish.  You won't win because even though you think Ebay is doing this because they can, it isn't correct.  They have to verify your identity.  Leaving your SSN blank did nothing to help you.  FYI, our financial information on Ebay is encrypted.

If Ebay can't get the info out of you then they will just keep your money for about 6 months or more.  After that they will send your money to the state you have on your primary address.  Then you can start the battle all over again with your state.  It will be in their unclaimed funds department.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 52
latest reply

@yes_treat_yourself 

"Do you understand how this unconstitutional Biden/Pelosi mandate works?"  While congress lowered the threshold on the IRS form 1099K, they didn't write the rules for how a 1099K is applied.  That was IRS.  

Not sure why you want to blame them on this.  With or without a 1099 or any kind we are suppose to report our income to the IRS.  There is NO MINIMUM threshold for that.  So all these people that are upset with the changes in the 1099K because they don't want to report their income have been remiss in all the years before this.  The 1099K is merely a form.  It does not now nor has it ever controlled what income and how much of a income is to be reported on your income taxes.

You will be happy to know that Biden will not be getting the information on how you or I spend our money.    Do you understand that you are CONFUSING two completely different subjects.

The bill that HAS NOT YET PASSED to reduce the requirements of banks to report transactions to the IRS from $10k to $600 is not even in play yet and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 1099Ks.  Two completely different things.

The new threshold on 1099Ks affects ALL Marketplaces that process the money and all other money processor.  This is NOT limited to Ebay.  IRS doesn't do stuff like that.  It is the same for all.

Message 21 of 52
latest reply

@thefirstsellerandalwaysbuyer wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

They need your complete SSN now, you may have previously only had to supply the last 4 digits of it and as the 1099k reporting level has dropped the IRS demand eBay supply all seller's full SSN for this purpose.

Try to ignore the (odd) responder who is here to totally agree with you and bash eBay - they have nothing to add and do not understand that this is a legal IRS requirement, eBay is not just plucking things out of their b**** to make life difficult.

19 million sellers world wide have transitioned to MP and in the last 4 years since the roll out began I have heard nothing nefarious happening regarding hacks or what ever other scaremongers are claiming.

So, basically I should provide my photo ID to ebay is what you're saying?

Yes, I did - nothing bad has happened, it is jusst another level of security.

I looked at like this: If you lost your wallet with your photo id in it you would be more susceptible to identity theft etc than on a secure online site (JMHO).

It does seem strange in one way though, as they never get to see me face to face, the photo really can not be confirmed, not to mention how easily manipulated photo id can be using any number of editing programs available to us all, but...................

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 22 of 52
latest reply

Make sure you get your lawyer to read the TOS you agreed to before selling here, a shame to waste your money on a pointless excercise LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 23 of 52
latest reply

The change to the 1099K threshold, dropping it to $600 was part a Stimulus Bill.  

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

To answer your original question........

Yes.  To NOW sell on eBay you MUST provide color copies of the front/back of your DL.  No exceptions.  Doesn't matter if you sell a $2,000.00 flat screen TV or a .25 cent bubble gum card.

As to if I am "OK" with this?   No.  That is why I have not listed anything.....because I can not unless I upload a color copy of my DL, SSN, and bank statements.

I just keep on eye on these community boards to see if things get better.  They have not.  They have gotten worse.

To the question of a "workaround".......I have not seen any.  It is what it is.

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

@metaltech1 wrote:

Yes.  To NOW sell on eBay you MUST provide color copies of the front/back of your DL.  No exceptions.

There are probably millions of exceptions. I didn't have to upload any documentation: no DL, no passport, no bank statement, nothing.

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

@metaltech1 wrote:

Yes.  To NOW sell on eBay you MUST provide color copies of the front/back of your DL.  No exceptions.  Doesn't matter if you sell a $2,000.00 flat screen TV or a .25 cent bubble gum card.

As to if I am "OK" with this?   No.  That is why I have not listed anything.....because I can not unless I upload a color copy of my DL, SSN, and bank statements.

I just keep on eye on these community boards to see if things get better.  They have not.  They have gotten worse.

That is not accurate.  There are three things a seller must provide.  Bank routing number, checking account number and SSN.  

Any additional info that they may need like, DL or Bank statement they has for because they have not yet been able to verify your identity as the Federal law requires.  There are a whole lot of sellers that have never had to provide this information.

https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/8000-1600.html#fdic8000fra1020.220

Message 27 of 52
latest reply

@metaltech1 wrote:

Thank you for that. I appreciate the answers and that's fine since I'm not asking for a workaround as I think there is none other than providing the info they're asking for. As I mentioned earlier, I've got nothing to hide, but I do find it laughable  ebay is asking for identification when I've already provided all the other documentation. 

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

@thefirstsellerandalwaysbuyer 

Keep in mind that they must be seeing something that is slightly different in information.  Whether it is a middle initial on some in the info you originally provided and not others then it doesn't appear on other info you provide.  Something isn't perfectly and I mean perfectly matching up.  That is what causes Ebay to ask for more info.  The slightest difference in Address or Name can and will cause them to ask for more info.  Per the laws they have to adhere to, the ID must be accurate.

Message 29 of 52
latest reply

@dq3141 wrote:

@metaltech1 wrote:

Yes.  To NOW sell on eBay you MUST provide color copies of the front/back of your DL.  No exceptions.

There are probably millions of exceptions. I didn't have to upload any documentation: no DL, no passport, no bank statement, nothing.

You only have to do it if there is some sort of discrepancy between any of the information you have provided. I didn't have to do it either because I made sure that everything matched EXACTLY before I submitted it, which meant that I had to add my middle initial to my registered name on eBay because my bank account also had my middle initial.

Message 30 of 52
latest reply