cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28 Month old transaction, buyer opened a chargeback case through PayPal

True story. A buyer purchased a Sony Cybershot for $29.75 on March 15, 2020 and just opened a case through PAYPAL which I have to fight and wait for a decision now. His reason was that "he wanted to know more about the transaction". I am speechless. I can not trust any company with my funds as they sit in their office buildings figuring out different POLICIES to separate man from his money. SPEECHLESS!!!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: 28 Month old transaction, buyer opened a chargeback case through PayPal

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

I don't see his eBay username on the PP case. I can't search eBay because it's 28 months ago. I would be interested in seeing his feedback. I suppose I could look through all of them around that time. 

You have an outside email address associated with your selling account, and unless you've been deleting messages from it (which I would never recommend doing), you should be able to find records of the sale there.

That aside, the whole claim is ridiculous. The only way I can see this happening is that PayPal accepts filings of any kind of dispute, then actually looks at them after filing. Hopefully the 28-month-old date of the transaction will cause it to be rejected.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Did you actually try calling PAYPAL and reminding them that the transaction is more than 180 days?

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

What’s the chargeback code? I don’t remember “wanting to know more about the transaction” being one of the choices when filing a chargeback?

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

possibly someone looking at bankruptcy......just a guess

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

people who need money 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Let Paypal know their own policy:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/buyer-protection-resolution

"Be aware that disputes must be opened within 180 days of your payment date, and that you and the seller will have 20 days to work things out." 

This is higher than PayPal.

Any time limit that PayPal dreamed up on the back of a napkin, do not apply outside of PayPal.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

I am wondering if they opened it up with there issuer and not PayPal because you shouldn't be able to open a dispute after 180 days. The card issuer is a different animal. Most are within 180 days but some go further out. I think Visa and Mastercard is 6 months, Discover I don't know and Amex is no time limit, anything over 6 months with Amex requires signed paperwork to even open a dispute that far out. US Federal Law is minimum 60 days.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply