cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25+ years on eBay and still no good means of dealing with deadbeat bidders

Another day, another auction won by a deadbeat bidder. While I'm admittedly a fairly infrequent eBay seller, I've been on here for 25 years and I am sick to death of dealing with eBay and deadbeat bidders on roughly 30% of the items I list. It's 2023 and there are so many generally secure methods of taking payments online; why isn't the system set up in a way that requires these people to have a credit card *on file* so when they bid on something and the auction ends, it simply charges them the amount they agreed to pay? This happens to me probably 30% of the time when I list something: some moron with little or zero feedback bids at the last minute, they don't pay, and then *I'm* penalized by being told to wait 4+ days until the auction can be nulled/voided "the right way" and the buyer listed as nonpaying so I can finally relist it, try again, and then wait 'x' more days for the next auction to end. And, from what I understand, the fees I paid up front (in this case the "Special Duration Fee") are non-refundable (at least that's what the "ask an expert seller" person told me), non-paying bidder or not. Why should I be penalized with waiting 4 days and still owing these fees for an auction that wasn't successful all because eBay's payment system is trash?

Then on top of all that, after reporting as "nonpaying" you can't even leave negative feedback anymore to warn other sellers anymore!

This whole process is monumentally stupid and it's been happening literally for DECADES. What legitimate reason is there for this still being an issue? Fix it!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: 25+ years on eBay and still no good means of dealing with deadbeat bidders

Yes, this is accurate, I came here to ask a question in a desperate attempt to get you all to go look at my ZERO active listings 🙄

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Don't you just love it when posters come here looking for advice, receive helpful and valid advice and dismiss it, often implying that responses aren't answering their questions? 

In cases like this, I suspect that OPs aren't really looking for advice because one would assume that with "25 years on Ebay," @imatt49849 knows that FP with IPR would totally eliminate NPBs. My guess is that this topic is a way to advertise his listings but disguised as a plea for help. 

JMHO.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@imatt49849 wrote:

some moron with little or zero feedback bids at the last minute, they don't pay, and then *I'm* penalized by being told to wait 4+ days until the auction can be nulled/voided "the right way" and the buyer listed as nonpaying so I can finally relist it,

If you're referring to the "Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition" that was sold to a 1-feedback buyer, the auction closed less than 48 hours ago so that buyer, completely in accordance with ebay policy has over 51 hours left to pay! 

He may pay and be one of your best buyers and maybe even a repeat buyer. 

@imatt49849 If you insist on running auctions, you need to learn patience! 

Or you could look at the one other piece of feedback on their profile and quickly see that this is the second time this person has done this. It'd been 2 days; he's clearly not going to pay.

Screenshot 2023-01-05 130238.png

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

It's been two days, he's clearly not going to pay? He has four days to pay.

And, incidentally, that FB you showed us here from another seller is not eBay-legal and that buyer should have contacted eBay and had it removed.  Just a reminder in case you're considering something similar.  

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

It's been two days, he's clearly not going to pay? He has four days to pay.

And, incidentally, that FB you showed us here from another seller is not eBay-legal and that buyer should have contacted eBay and had it removed.  Just a reminder in case you're considering something similar.  

The buyer isn't going to contact eBay because it's bull**** account that has no intention of ever buying anything. It's the same thing every time this happens; it's not rocket science. An account that's been around for months/years with zero positive feedback. And oh wow, heaven forbid other sellers see feedback like the one that was left; wish I had seen it in time so I could have just canceled his bid. If someone is a non-paying bidder, other sellers should have a right to know. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@imatt49849 wrote:

This whole process is monumentally stupid and it's been happening literally for DECADES. What legitimate reason is there for this still being an issue? Fix it!

It is still like this because ebay loves any type of buyer....even the one that do not pay as the seller may  still have to pay fees of some sort.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

It is still like this because ebay loves any type of buyer....even the one that do not pay as the seller may  still have to pay fees of some sort.

I’ll keep that in mind. If that’s how little eBay cares about sellers’ time then maybe I’ll just start challenging those transactions with the credit card company when this happens. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply