cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller Questions to: @ALL

In August 2023, I started selling on eBay, but my profits have been modest and I have experienced losses on some items. I am now trying to find ways to increase my profits and turn selling on eBay into a full-time job. However, I am facing challenges in sourcing items to sell and also figuring out what items to sell. I have come across websites like Alibaba.com, CJdropshipping, and Amazon Business, but when I calculate the numbers rarely do I make profit, and even rarer, do I break even. As a result, I end up not selling any products and remain stuck in a waiting cycle. This cycle breeds inactivity which in turn causes my business to decline. I want to break out of this cycle and learn from successful eBay sellers. How do they achieve good sales? How do they manage to consistently bring home profits? Where do they source their items? How do they determine what to sell? Additionally, I am struggling with shipping costs, which seem to be my biggest expense and eat into my profits, even with eBay's discount. For context, I’ve sold small electronics and other accessories. (Polaroid cameras, iPhones, and action figures, are among the few items that I have already sold). I would appreciate any advice or insights on these challenges.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Hi @bargainblissstore and welcome!

A good starting point is WatchCount.com. It lists the most popular goods, what is trending, etc.

Have you had sales experience? What has drawn you to eBay?

Your selling costs should always be covered by the prices you charge the buyer. Some items may not be suitable for eBay. If you cannot turn a profit for an item, it should not get listed. Are you calculating your expenses on each item, so you know how best to price it?

eBay has a wide learning curve. Plan on at least 6 months to get a handle on it.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Find a real job and excel at it no matter what it is. There’s no pot of gold here, the train left long ago. You are too late to the party. Save yourself aggravation and the realization that you made a big mistake. I highly recommend you don’t jump head first into eBay…..

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

A good starting point is WatchCount.com. It lists the most popular goods, what is trending, etc.

Looks like that site is 'as VOTED by eBay users'. Since a whopping 100 people know of this site, vs the 160,000,000 or so members and 1,000,000,000 items listed...that site would be NOTHING but skewed to a teeny tiny bit of 'voters' and no real data??

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@playwithitagaintoys wrote:

Send me just 4 easy payments of $19.99 and I'll send you a link to  my book "This one weird trick to making money on eBay"

You forgot the "It's genius" part lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 19 of 36
latest reply

You obviously have no idea what that site does lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Looks like you have gotten a lot of good advice, here is a smidge more. Set a listing goal and do those listings every day. Even if it is small, 3 listings a day. 5 listings a day. Just do it.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Consider the size and weight of items you wish to sell.  The USPS has some added surcharges for larger sized boxes.  As mentioned previously, the cost of shipping can be shocking.

Consider the cost of shipping supplies. Boxes are expensive. Bubble wrap, foam wrap, packing peanuts, etc. all add up unless you can get them for free.

Many sellers do quite well listing only items where weight and packaging combined are under 15oz. and can be shipped in bubble mailers.  Millions of items can be shipped for under 15oz and sellers can offer free shipping because the shipping cost is cheap enough it can be included in the price of the item.

Doing a few random item searches on eBay will show you just how oversaturated most categories are. Phone cases, anything listed in eBay Motors, trading cards, toys, clothing, sports equipment, vintage and collectibles, craft supplies, jewelry to name a few.  After you see how many are listed take a look at how many have sold in the past 60 or 90 days. 

There is heavy competition in popular categories.  Where competition is a bit less price wars are common. 

Other seller's promoted listing ads will appear on your listings. Either join that pay to play program or sell unique items that are hard to find or have a large base of avid collectors.

If you don't have one yet, get a business license.  That gives you access to wholesale shows and wholesale suppliers where you can physically visit, inspect new merchandise and either buy right there or place an order. 

Best advice is to do your homework before investing in merchandise that may not sell.       

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

First off, sell products that you are familiar with in regards to pricing. And read up on eBay's fee structure. You can't buy items at retail cost and make a profit. Some sellers find bargains at estate sales, garage sales, flea markets etc. Others applied for a vender/reseller license to purchase wholesale items. I personally have found many bargains right here on eBay and have made excellent profits on these items.

Don't give up and good luck!

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@bargainblissstore 

Good morning-

Here's my advice...Google what is trending and popular, especially now with the holidays upon us.  Go from there and do well!  😉

Happy Selling!

I don't really agree with that, products are trending and popular because  there are lots of people selling them and that means lots of competition and intense pressure on profit margins. The people that can make money on those items have large volume and the power to obtain better discounts on product acquisition. A small time new seller can't compete.

Better off to find a under-served niche market that you have some expertise in (sell what you know, know what your sell @1786davycrockett) than trying to compete with the big boys in mass-market goods.

If Google tells you something is trending and popular it's too late to enter that arena unless you have some sort of exclusive access and/or sourcing costs that are better than anyone else can obtain.

Better to be a seller of goods that other sellers think are not hot enough to be worthwhile than to sell stuff that thousands of others are already in that business.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

It takes time. I have been in the business of reselling for 30 years. During that time I developed a huge knowledge base on all types of things to sell. I would sometimes spend the whole day sitting at auctions and watching what people would pay for items. Talk to the dealers during inspection/preview. I also have developed many relationships and have a steady stream of people (pickers) who routinely call me and sell me items because they want the quick buck. Don't quit your day job. It takes time and a lot of work to get to the point that you can support yourself reselling.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

You have been given a ton of outstanding advice. But all joking aside. The first thing is really doing some reading on what it takes to run a business and be responsible for everything on your own. I remember the first thing someone asked me and was really the biggest thing about going on your own. Are you prepared to work at minimum your first year or longer for free. There is so much learning involved and mistakes to be made that someone has to not have the extra stress of not having enough capital to pay their bills in the beginning. And like so many other have already said. You have to love and know what you sell. It's what will make others buy it.

Positive energy about a product sells everything. Believe in yourself and your product. And it never hurts to have someone tell you that you can't do something. Proving others wrong is success. When I opened my first store, my father of all people looked at me and said - I thought I raised you better, "Your going to be bankrupt in 6 months. " And here I am 40 years later still being successful and not regretting anything I've done.  

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Unless you already have the product to sell do not acquire anything without first checking sold items. Passed on many items available that seem like a slam dunk until I checked sold items. And probably got burned in a few, too

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Asking a seller where they source their inventory is a very rude question in my book.

Why would you expect an experienced seller/sellers who have been doing this any where from 10-20 years or more to tell you how to source inventory? 

If you want to be an ebay seller, or even just have a B&M store, or just sell at shows or flea markets...whatever line of merchandise you wish to sell, that is up to you to figure how to source your inventory. That is the first thing you need to figure out if you are going to be successful on ebay or any other selling venue.  

It doesn't even make sense. "Here is where I buy my inventory, now you go buy some also, so you can compete against me".

To me, it is a very rude question to ask another seller, how do you source your inventory.

In the real world, out at markets, I've had people ask, "where do you get your merchandise". My reply now is, "I get out and beat the bushes". 

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Looks like that site is 'as VOTED by eBay users'. Since a whopping 100 people know of this site, vs the 160,000,000 or so members and 1,000,000,000 items listed...that site would be NOTHING but skewed to a teeny tiny bit of 'voters' and no real data??

Hi @stainlessenginecovers 

No, that’s not what it is at all, tho I can see why someone would think it is limited to just a few users (based on seeing the site’s banner title). But it is much farther reaching. WatchCount tallies all the items that are currently being watched globally by users on eBay. There is no actual “voting” per se. 

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Even ruder: "Where do you GET all of this stuff" demanded in an incredulous whine. I've taken to saying that I roll people for their clothing, steal wet wash out of laundromats and raid clothes lines. If they persist maybe I'll knock them over and steal their shoes. 😠

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 30 of 36
latest reply