cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller Questions to: @ALL

In August 2023, I started selling on eBay, but my profits have been modest and I have experienced losses on some items. I am now trying to find ways to increase my profits and turn selling on eBay into a full-time job. However, I am facing challenges in sourcing items to sell and also figuring out what items to sell. I have come across websites like Alibaba.com, CJdropshipping, and Amazon Business, but when I calculate the numbers rarely do I make profit, and even rarer, do I break even. As a result, I end up not selling any products and remain stuck in a waiting cycle. This cycle breeds inactivity which in turn causes my business to decline. I want to break out of this cycle and learn from successful eBay sellers. How do they achieve good sales? How do they manage to consistently bring home profits? Where do they source their items? How do they determine what to sell? Additionally, I am struggling with shipping costs, which seem to be my biggest expense and eat into my profits, even with eBay's discount. For context, I’ve sold small electronics and other accessories. (Polaroid cameras, iPhones, and action figures, are among the few items that I have already sold). I would appreciate any advice or insights on these challenges.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Buy low sell high

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Great! But buy what low? I’m looking for specific products to source. I just don’t understand how top rated sellers figure out what to sell and where do they go to source it? Can you help? Thanks! 

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Send me just 4 easy payments of $19.99 and I'll send you a link to  my book "This one weird trick to making money on eBay"

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

If we told everyone our trade secrets, everyone would do it, and it would put us out of business.

Buy low sell high is the best advice that can be given. When you ask "buy what low" the answer should be "anything that sells and sells high" 😋 

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

The problem is you are asking all the people that you will potentially be competing with to tell you where you can buy you inventory at a lower price so you can make more money.  Most sellers aren't going to give that info up easily because it simply doesn't make good business sense.

When I started selling many years ago.  I figured out something that I liked a lot and knew enough about to be able to service my customers.  So start with your own interests.  My stuff changed a bit over the years until I found what worked best for me.

I would encourage you to stay away from phones and other electronics.  That is likely the highest category for scams.  You can lose a whole lot of money in that category quickly.

What kind of things interest you?  What are your hobbies?  Or what is something you always wanted to learn more about?  Start there.  Then start researching on the web for sources.

You also need to decide if you want to sell one off things or find new items that you can get more inventory on as needed.  Or a combination of both.  Selling one off things is a whole lot more work because you have to create a new listing for everything.  But for many sellers that works really well.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@bargainblissstore ,

Based on  what I’ve seen here. Here are some of the most common places eBay sellers find their inventory.

1. Thrift stores. (Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army, and etc.)

2. Garage or yard sales.

3. Estate sales.

4. Flea markets.

5. Going out of business sales.

6. Liquidation auctions

7. Outlet malls 
8. Rummage sales

9. Storage unit auctions

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@bargainblissstore 

Know your products, and sell what you know.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Babe,

Stop asking questions.

Do it!

More valuable to list items + figure it out for yourself.

Signed,

Not Lazybones…

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@bargainblissstore 

Good morning-

Here's my advice...Google what is trending and popular, especially now with the holidays upon us.  Go from there and do well!  😉

Happy Selling!

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

As 1786davycrockett said, sell what you know. 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

First, selling isn't easy.......if you can't motivate yourself, it may not be worth it.

So, in the beginning don't worry about sourcing........look around "your" stuff.....solicit stuff from family/friends that they want to get rid of to list......(don't pay them for it).....  Then start listing and learning:  research the items, look at the sold prices....figure out what ebay will charge you if sold, learn how to ship and the costs.....keep "books" on each sale to see what you actually "make"... be sure your pictures/titles/descriptions are the best you can make them.    

While you are doing that, ask yourself what expertise you have........what you enjoy...... what keeps your interest.......what family/friends might have businesses that could get you their wholesale prices.....  And again, research. 

Trying to buy on the internet and flip on ebay takes ALOT of knowledge.......most of the "wholesalers" are well represented by many sellers so it's not something you can just walk into cold and make any money. 

Every seller has gone thru the above on some level......some make it, many don't.......but it takes work, consistent work. 

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

In addition to what "theteamsetguy" suggested, comp before you buy.  Don't just look at the active, look at what the item has sold for and how many have sold.  Also pay attention to the sell through rate.  Some markets are saturated and the sell through rate is not that high.   Make sure you measure your package and have the correct weight and measurements before listing so you don't lose money in shipping.  Shipping is probably the hardest thing to learn.  I suggest that you do calculated shipping since you are new until you get more familiar with it.   Also make sure you are taking into consideration the fees and your packing material when pricing your item.  There is a learning curve when you start.   Hang in there!  You can do it! 

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Your question is legitimate. You are up against experienced sellers who have been doing this a long time. You have to nudge yourself into the horde and overcome others by good customer service, good prices, good pictures, good descriptions and the use of Ebay tools like promotions, markdowns, etc.

Having said that, you make your money by buying LOW. You won't make money by buying on Ebay to resell on Ebay. 

There are discount stores everywhere where you can find items for sale that can bring you a profit. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Be in them often. Learn what has value. I don't know where you are, but they're everywhere.  here's an example:  There are some new outlet stores opening up called Daabins or similar in name. They offer Amazon returns.  In my town, they offer a huge bag that you fill up for $10 on Wed.  I can (and have) gotten as much as $1000 worth of new merchandise for that $10 in one bag. Yes, it's all kind of stuff, some I might sell, some I give away. But, it's basically free if you do it right.  

Be smart and savvy. Go beyond items that you might like and look at what buyers are into.

Now, the shipping. It's tricky. More and more buyers are expecting free shipping. So, the cost has to be incorporated into the selling price.  

Free returns are the way to go. It will increase your sales and make the buyers be more comfortable with you as a new seller. The buyer always can do a return, no matter if you say you don't allow them. So, offer it.

Finally, it takes a while to get established. It can be a fun business. But, you must work hard at it. 

Good luck. 

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

But wait there's more, Order within the next 15 Minutes & we will ship your order for free!

Message 15 of 36
latest reply