cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling wife's SUV - Buyer wants to wire money; Am I being scammed?

I'm seeking advice on selling our SUV through eBay Motors. Recently, I hosted an auction for my wife's SUV, but the winning bidder mysteriously disappeared. In response, I extended a second chance offer to several other bidders, and one of them agreed to buy it (BUY IT NOW). The buyer promptly sent a $500 deposit via eBay after purchasing, but then requested to wire the remaining balance to my bank account. Following that, he wants me to overnight the title to him, after which he will organize shipping. This raises a significant concern: if you were buying a car, wouldn't you want to see it in person first? He asserts that he can't leave his work to travel from Colorado to Florida to inspect the vehicle. I'm confused and uncertain about this bank wire process, and I don't want to share my account information; I've come across numerous opinions, but what are the real risks or recourses in this situation?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Selling wife's SUV - Buyer wants to wire money; Am I being scammed?

Can't reverse a wire transfer.  Even better and safer than cash.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Yes I did, In my first reply I said do not send the title until you are paid. 🫠

I think this is the post @soh.maryl refers to that assumes (or at least advises) that the OP is the buyer: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Motors/Selling-wife-s-SUV-Buyer-wants-to-wire-money-Am-I-being-scammed...

albertabrightalberta

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification.  Have no idea how I got that mixed up!

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

On reflection, believe this is the point where I turned the OP into the buyer rather than the seller.  

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Just a quick, final update. So the buyer wired the remaining balance to my account that I had opened. Before providing wiring instructions, I made sure that his bank was indeed located in the U.S. 
A few hours later, the wire showed up and I was able to transfer the money out to my main account. I filled out the necessary documents and overnighted the title. A week later the transport finally showed up (after a few delays in travel) and we were waiving goodbye. 

In retrospect I think this transaction went pretty smooth, given the extra precautions taken so we wouldn't get scammed. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Thats great!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

That's exactly what to do.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

I went through the same thing at one time.  Blew the guy off because I thought it was a scam. I mean who just buys a car sight unseen? Guy lived in the Netherlands. After a couple of communications and questioned the man's motives I came to find out that he owned the largest shipping company in the world! I had to apologize and the transaction went as smooth as silk.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@cybersupply29 wrote:

Just a quick, final update. So the buyer wired the remaining balance to my account that I had opened. Before providing wiring instructions, I made sure that his bank was indeed located in the U.S. 
A few hours later, the wire showed up and I was able to transfer the money out to my main account. I filled out the necessary documents and overnighted the title. A week later the transport finally showed up (after a few delays in travel) and we were waiving goodbye. 

In retrospect I think this transaction went pretty smooth, given the extra precautions taken so we wouldn't get scammed. 

@marinermikes wrote:

I went through the same thing at one time.  Blew the guy off because I thought it was a scam. I mean who just buys a car sight unseen? Guy lived in the Netherlands. After a couple of communications and questioned the man's motives I came to find out that he owned the largest shipping company in the world! I had to apologize and the transaction went as smooth as silk.

Both of your positive experiences @cybersupply29 and @marinermikes are very rare exceptions. Congrats to both.

albertabrightalberta

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

My suggestion is to forget the bidding and list with a "Buy It Now" along with a non-refundable substantial amount before the transaction can be completed - say $200, enough to cover all of your costs if the person bails.

The very last vehicle auction that I ever did with a top bidder resulted in someone with the name of "Barney Fife" with the address of the dealership.  Needless to say, it was a fake bidder.

From that day forward, only "Buy It Now" with non-refundable amounts.  Don't like my terms?  Shop elsewhere.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply