cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Marketplace-eBay Motors Scam!

I recently found a golf cart on facebook marketplace that looked to be in good condition and reasonably priced ($1000). I contacted the seller and received an automatic reply explaining that I needed to email them in order to get more details. The seller on eBay was a man (profile picture/name) however the email clearly belonged to a woman. My only thought was that this may have been the man’s wife’s email, so I went ahead and sent them an email. They replied giving me all the details of the cart and several photos. The lady also explained that her husband had recently passed away from a heart attack and that was why she was selling the golf cart at such a low price. I proceeded to ask if I could come and see the golf cart in person before making the purchase. However, her next email ignored my request and instead asked if I had received an email from eBay with an invoice for the golf cart and an explanation of how to pay. This is when I instantly knew this was a scam. The invoice from “eBayTM” tried to explain that I was supposed to go to a local gas station or supermarket, but an eBay gift card and then send them the code on the back of card. Some people out there are absolutely terrible. Y’all be careful on Facebook marketplace. I’ve seen a few posts with similar stories to mine so watch out. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Facebook Marketplace-eBay Motors Scam!

Old and typical scam. eBay has nothing, nothing to do with FB... CL etc.

eBay does only eBay.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 11.58.17 AM.png

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@etsuyankee7 

It's an old scam that we hear about a lot.

Glad you didn't fall for it like some have and lost their money.

Be sure to report the ad to FB.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The first sign it was a scam was the price.  $1,000 is what non-running carts sell for.  A good one would be many times that price.   "Reasonable price?"  Really, you thought you could get a good one that cheap?

The second sign it was a scam was the fact the scammer directed you from facebook marketplace to eBay.  Anytime you find something on a site other than eBay where the scammer tells you it will be completed on eBay is a scam, every.single.time.  All legitimate eBay transactions begin and end on eBay, which means you find it while you're browsing eBay, not while you're browsing facebook marketplace.

The scammer always claims to be a woman who (take your pick) is widowed, divorced, lost a son, is deployed, etc) and that is explanation for why it is so cheap.   It's called a sob story.  

The scammer asked for your contact information.   Why would they need it?  When you buy something that is actually listed on eBay (and not a scam) you don't need to send the seller your contact information so eBay can "send you an invoice."  You simply click "buy it now" and go from there.

So long before you "instantly knew" it was a scam, there were at least four very large red flags that told you it was a scam.  Only when it got to the gift card bit did you realize it was a scam...so hopeful to get a golf cart at a fraction of its true value, and that is why these scams work day in and day out for decades, literally.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

there are TONS silly car prices on FBMP    2010 Accord $1000  silly and obvious

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

yes do report this cheapo scam to facebook, this scam has been going on for many years and nobody ever ever reported it to facebook before, so you can be first. Great advice!

I did an experiment in fall of 2021 and reported more than 1000 (One THOUSAND) scams over a period of 4-6 weeks. I was laying the groundwork for a class-action lawsuit. If I got a response at all, FB just suggested I block the "offensive" ad.

FakeBook  knows exactly what's happening with the scams and don't GAFF.  Caveat Emptor amigo

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

That’s how the scam looks like!?

Hello Fabio, my name is Jessica and I'm emailing you about my 2004 Chevrolet Express Passenger Van with a 5.3L V8 GAS engine, and low miles, only 98,129 all original miles. Never had or needed any paint/body work done, garage kept always, without any mechanical problems, tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. The engine runs very well and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. Has a clean and clear title in my name and there are no liens or loans on it. This van was used by my husband who died 4 month ago. Besides, I hope to find a new owner as dedicated as my departed soulmate was. The price was reduced to $1000 FIRM because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell the van quickly, I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team out of the country for a year and do not want to store my van . Hate to sell it but it's not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year. If you are interested I can send you more pictures.

Thanks and God bless your family!!
Sgt. Jessica A. Spencer

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

This person goes by many names SSGT Stacy Brown at Offutt AFB NE.  will give you anything to scam you out of money. I feel this could be a gov. program by what I have read on the internet.  IT would be nice if the af would put this person in jail .

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

FB is allowing this to go on by saying report a scam an doing nothing , but after see MS on tv and what he has become nothing new for him.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Yeah, just thought I was receiving a Blessing, well actually I did, because I just saw this add on FB this afternoon, about her husband dying a few weeks ago, and she was about to be deployed back overseas,  and really needed to sell this Bright Shinny Red EZGO golf cart with 4" lift kit, 13" tires and mags Street ready, for $1000.00. Thank God that the truth will be revealed!

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

No wonder the scams continue.  I've been reading this board for over 20 years and week after week it is the same old thing.  Yes, there are scams.  Will this subject be the epitaph for eBay Motors?

Let's move on from the non-stop discussion about scam after scam, please.

I'd prefer that we focus on Volvo and Mercedes.  

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

You were laying the groundwork for a class action lawsuit.

Who would you be suing exactly?  

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

You feel this could be a government program?

You mean the scam is a government program? How so?  

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Doesn't it seem like all you need to know to identify this as a scam is that eBay has no involvement with sales of items on any other site? Why would they?  

Message 15 of 25
latest reply