cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility Chart not valid

I sell center caps & hubcaps.  The recent changes made in the compatibility chart is  telling buyers (or leading them to assume ) that by entering the vehicle, make model , year   all items generated by the search results are guaranteed to fit.   

Some parts are not one size fits all.  They cannot be generalized.  There are too many options available for each make & model of vehicle.  They are not interchangeable.   there are too many variables to consider.  

Because of this , we have found that the only part number can guarantee a correct fit . 

If eBay is going to continue using this feature, you must state it will not work with ALL AUTO PARTS.  It is causing too many problems, misunderstandings, & returns from our buyers.  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Compatibility Chart not valid

I sometimes get the opposite. Many people have no idea about model ranges. A Corolla trunk latch will fit any year, in their mind, since the inception of the Corolla. A Corolla is a Corolla.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

This posted before i finished wrining-

COMPATIBILITY CHART 

The compatibility chart in Ebay Motors is not working.  I have been informed that in order to locate my items, I must use it.  Since it doesnt appear when I am listing an item, my entire store is down.  Are there any updates about this?

My other issue with the compatibility chart is that it is not always correct. Please make a disclaimer stating It is only a  GUIDE, not a GUARANTEE.    

why I am qualified to make this claim:

• ive been a seller of automotive parts for 4 years. 
  • my spouse has been restoring cars for 35 years
  • i have spoken with multiple mechanics & auto salvage dealers who have made the same complaints to me.
  • I buy & sell a variety of auto parts

ISSUES WITH CHART

VEHICLES GET ALTERED

The method of classification an auto part is not black & white.

Automobiles are regularly adjusted & it’s original mechanical condition can not be guaranteed.   Any one who touches your car might have altered it for one reason or another (gas station attendant, person who changed your oil, service mechanic.)  For example, when you change a tire or a rim, it can affects the center cap or hubcap on the vehicle. The only way to guarantee a good fit is by using a PART NUMBER.  Not vehicle years.   

Many parts fit multiple vehicles Adjustments to your vehicle can alter the parts it can use. 

MISLEADING-

Each year vehicle has multiple options.  These options may have some parts that are only coordinate with certain parts.  There can be multiple parts for every make and model vehicle, but only one part number will work with your vehicle. 

For example, with wheels.  Many different tires fit on a car.  Some rims will work with a tire.  Very few center caps will work with that rim. Just to name a few, trailer hitches,  switches, hubcaps, are other parts that cannot ONLY be classified by year & model. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

variations are made every few years on vehicles.  

a 197's trunk latch is completely different from a 1980's trunk latch, regardless of the model .  This is why you MUST USE A PART NUMBER

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You are trying to make too many things fit too many things.

The majority of buyers do not think that way. Sure as heck do not understand that the same part fits different models. I have found that. A $10 part, for one car, is a $30 part of another car.

I have gone the other way and shortened down what fits what. Buyers are not as smart as a knowledgeable seller. Work backwards to the buyer.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply